Old 08-17-2016, 06:54 AM

Default Ignition Problem 69 GP

I replaced my ignition switch last night and now my key switch has no resistance ,the gen. light is on and it acts like its not getting any power to the starter . Did I miss something ?

Old 08-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

did you put the rod in the right location on the switch?

Old 08-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Likely a simple adjustment.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post
did you put the rod in the right location on the switch?
I didn't know there was a rod . I unpluged two plugs and took out two screws and it came out . It's on top of the colume and you really can't see it when its in place . I'll check this evening . I'm guessing that little hole in one end of it is where the rod goes . Correct ?

Old 08-18-2016, 12:45 AM
Suspended

The rod goes in the side of the switch & it needs to go in before you pull the little tab out as this is what help locate the rod in the correct place so it will go back in & start without a lot of adjusting it. I think you need some help with this one.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:38 AM

I pulled the switch back out ,dropped the column this time . That made it a little easier to do. got the rod located and put in the slot . There was no tab on it . Buttoned it back up ,and nothing . Same as it was before . It has to be the ignition wire going to the starter . That's the only thing left. That I can think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
The rod goes in the side of the switch & it needs to go in before you pull the little tab out as this is what help locate the rod in the correct place so it will go back in & start without a lot of adjusting it. I think you need some help with this one.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to adjust the switch appropriately. Loosen the two screws and turn the key into the run position (just before the start/spring position). Then slide the switch down until it hits the internal spring. Tighten the screws. It now should be adjusted correctly.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:45 PM
Suspended

When you adjust it that way you will know right away if it's the problem in the switch as the car should try to start when you get it close to the start spot on the switch. If nothing then you'll have to look somewhere else, but I'm going to bet it the switch is out of adjustment, now.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

is the mechanical linkage for the back drive, from the trans, to the steering column, still hooked up?

if the collar on the column (right behind the steering wheel) isn't in the "park" or "neutral" position, it will not power up the starter, but the dash warning lights will work.

if it's not connected to the trans, you can turn it by hand, try twisting it to the left (counter clockwise, as your sitting in the drivers seat), as far a possible.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:28 PM

It was the adjustment . Got that out of the way . Then I found my noise problem , flexplate bolts to torque converter were lose. Loctited them and got that solved . Thanks to all of you for the help . Back on the road again !