Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mainevent4u
Default WELDERS

I am currently restoring my 63 Cat Cnvt as I am in need of a welder. 15 years ago I used a MIG welder about 30 times while studying in an auto body shop but that's my extent of my welding. I was looking for a cheap welder-maybe a MIG under $300. I never used any other type of welder other then a MIG. I want a welder that will plug into a regular 110-115 household outlet and I don't really want to mess with gas. I have done a little research as the links are below. I am basically welding some floor pans and repairing a trunk pan-nothing to big. Does anyone have any recommendations or helpful hints....

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200127024_200127024

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UX2Q6S?smid=A2YLYLTN75J8LR&tag=sz-tool-20&linkCode=asn

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100031840

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94056

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1294&itemType=PRODUCT

Old 11-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm basically in the same position you are, 63 Cat 2drht. I also need to weld trunk floor and a one quarter panel and a little bit on the floor pans. I've talk to a lot of body men about this and seriously recommend using gas. I picked up a used Lincoln HD 3200 from a pawn shop for $275, its 115 volt with gas. So you might want to look for a used one. Buy the way you can use flux core in this too.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to warriors revenge

you should look into renting one from your local welding shop, they are reasonable, and if you get it on friday, you will have it all weekend! i would get one that uses gas!! it will make a big difference. spend the money and get a good machine, you will save time money and frustration in the end!

kal
www.xtremefabrication.com

Old 11-29-2007, 05:01 PM

i'll second the comment of spend the money and buy a good machine, you'll never regret it.

personally i've never found a 115 volt welder that will perform as well as i like them to so i've always used a 220 volt unit.

miller / hobart make some of the best units around so those're the brands i'll recommend.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Senior Chief

I bought a Lincoln 135 (I think that is the number) mig, 115 volt gas. Love it. Used primarily so far without gas for welding heavier plate, suspension and frame items (major modifications on a Willys wagon and crossmember for the Pontiac). Next up for me, with gas, will be body and trunk work on the Pontiac. On another site that had long discussions about welding machines, an important thread was to get a machine that the wire feed and power were constantly variable and not click stops. I almost always run my machine between the numbers.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mj64car, your right thats the one thing I don't like about my Lincoln HD 3200.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buy a good/decent welder. It's worth the extra $$$. First, you'll probably keep the thing as there is always a use for a welder. Second, you can always get the parts you need to fix or PM the welder. And Third, the cheaper "no name" welders DO NOT perform nearly as well (and that's the voice of experiance), especially when it comes to good penitration and just plain welding - definately use shielding gas.

-r-

Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 AM

re the sheilded wire / fabco as some companys call it. it's place, in my experience is only for outdoor of high wind use. the welds aren't as clean porosity can be a problem and penetration is generally not as good.

gas just does a better job on sheetmetal and where there's no wind.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill