Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation ***Long post warning***

Per T.Weber, some stick cars have an explicit stamping of the transmission...none of the four stick '62s I have owned have, though.

Rob, PHS with express shipment...I wouldn't even begin this journey without it.

Never thought about bent cowl and/or A-pillars ... measure the hell out of that thing if you go look at it.

Life is short. If it has a bent frame, IMO I would find a straight Cat-4dr donor car and use its chassis.

I also like the irony of the car sitting at a place called "Crush Proof"...maybe someone should put an asterisk on the sign, and then add another to the GP.

(Slightly OT: BlackCat, is that your company or something? I never knew what your tagline referred to, but this has to be it. Please chime in on this when you can.)

Old 01-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

Yeah I will definitely take a good look at it but I'm not too sure I would want it. $1500 is probably about all I would want to do if even that. I'm not too sure if he would go that low.

Another thing, he claims to have a 1959 389 Trophy 420A or 425A? 4 bolt main motor in his garage.

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You could part it for over $2K

Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's why I'm thinking he doesn't want to sell it that low. and I don't really want to part it out.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I always tend to do things that are illogical, my 63 GP for instance is nothing more than a shell with a 421 in it (and no doubt I paid too much)--but I have the 4 sp stuff, and when together it is the car that I always wanted. It'll take more time and money than I expect, but they all do. Same with that car. If it is the real deal, and you wanted to keep it, I'd do $3500 to maybe even 5000 depending on closer examination. You can find a frame, if you need it, and the front end stuff. Fix that stuff and the paint, interior, and all of the goodies you'd have to do anyway. '62 4 speed cars are as rare as they come, and as desireable (though I'm privy to 63 and 4's). You could get it presentable for $10-15K. It would cost multiples of that to make it pristine. While money is tight, if there was a car to drop money into, it'd be that one--in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the help but I'm still debating on whether it's worth it or not. I still think I can buy a 62 cat 2 dr ht with a good body and 4 speed it for under 5K. IDK I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning. Well see how much damage is really done.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison heart View Post
Thanks for the help but I'm still debating on whether it's worth it or not. I still think I can buy a 62 cat 2 dr ht with a good body and 4 speed it for under 5K. IDK I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning. Well see how much damage is really done.
But a REAL one? If it is, of course.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No, but I don't care if it's "real" or not. I agree that it is 10 times cooler if it's a real 4 speed car but I'm not trying to impress people, I just want a 4 speed.

And a bench seat doesn't both me either. I do like the 8 lugs though but I could live with steelies and dog dish caps. Overall I like the Catalinas better but I do like the buckets and 8 lugs on this GP and of course the fact that it's a "REAL" 4 speed GP is very cool. Well, Supposed to be a "real" one.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I hear you. My 63 won't be a "real" 4sp, I'm putting 15" 70's era (but still cool) steel wheels and dog dishes, and a better than average paint job on it. It'll be the car I always wanted, and at the end of the day have some 'value' because it is a 421 car. The way things are going in this economy, the 'value' may never be there--but I can always fall back on "it's the car I always wanted," and I'll drive it everywhere.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm with you on that. '59s and '62s just do it for me. I used to like the '63s the most but I think I really want another 62. My Star Chief probably doesn't have any real value but it's still the car I want and I don't plan on selling it ever so I'm not too worried about it

Old 01-22-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAquaBonney View Post
I hear you. My 63 won't be a "real" 4sp, I'm putting 15" 70's era (but still cool) steel wheels and dog dishes, and a better than average paint job on it. It'll be the car I always wanted, and at the end of the day have some 'value' because it is a 421 car. The way things are going in this economy, the 'value' may never be there--but I can always fall back on "it's the car I always wanted," and I'll drive it everywhere.

I've got news for you, If you build these cars for profit you'll lose every time unless you're the guy getting paid.

You need to put them together to enjoy them like they were meant to be when they were new. Value's just a number for the next guy or the insurance adjuster.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Senior Chief

Good luck fellow Darksider----- let us know how you make out- cool car!!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I've got news for you, If you build these cars for profit you'll lose every time unless you're the guy getting paid.

You need to put them together to enjoy them like they were meant to be when they were new. Value's just a number for the next guy or the insurance adjuster
You can say that again - very true words Mike

Even though mine is a '64 (probably not most folks favorite year for full size), I love the fact that it is a "real" 4 spd car. I also love the bench seat in it,... and the convertible top.

-r-

Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Senior Chief

I had a 54' cad with collision damage close to that, the fenders were pushed into the door jambs, didn't look that bad until my body guy took it apart, needless to say i ended up with 6500 invested in the car and sold it for 3500. The only car i ever had that i didn't get any money out of. My point is, if the door jambs are messed up you might be real lucky to get even your close buddy to deal with it. As others have said, the frame might be the easiest part, the engine might be shoved into the firewall. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well if it's that bad then it would definitely be a parts car. And I don't really want a parts car unless i can get it for a good price

Old 01-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I went and looked at it this morning. Neat car

Original motor with HO manifolds and new 2.5" exhaust. Original T10 with new clutch, 8 lugs that he said were turned before it was wrecked, has the correct console and tach, AC car, power windows and power buckets and the interior is pretty nice. Nice red carpet, white buckets seats are pretty nice, dash has the usual cracks but it does come with a nice clear steering wheel. The rest of the body is in pretty nice shape, definitely needs paint but there is minimal rust in the 1/4s and floors are solid and he says the trunk is solid. It also comes with 2 fenders, a hood, lots of new weatherstripping, a box full of tail lights, 2 bumpers that need rechromed but they're straight, a radiator, a Catalina grill and front valance and some other parts

The frame is slightly bent down but not bad at all. The motor wasn't pushed back, the pillars are still in good shape, the door gaps are still good and both doors still open and close nicely, There is a dent in the top of the cowl/firewall but who cares. The windhsield is cracked but all the other glass is good. He also said all 4 power windows work well. The paint code is CC which is cameo ivory top and bottom right? He says he's sure it's a real 4 speed car, IDK if it is I didn't see anything on the cowl tag but he definitely has all the parts for it.

He was asking $3k. I just can't justify it. I'm not saying it's not worth that, I do think it's worth that and with the new parts put on and a new paint job it could definitely be a great driver but for 3k I'd rather buy a nice Catalina and just convert it to 4 speed.

I do want to buy his 420A 59 389 4 bolt main block though

Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Offer 2 & see what happens. It is worth that. You could get a 4 door for cheap & have a fun time putting it all back together. Under 3 grand for both cars together would be a great deal & a lot of fun. You would not lose $ no matter what for that if you decided to sell.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 01-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ditto what Bruce said... I think it'd be worth it.

-r-

Old 01-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Robert-- I always think about how I will feel a year down the road and wonder if I will kick myself for not buying the car while I had the chance, or, not that big of a deal and can find another similar car later?? I have passed on some deals and had it go both ways!! Hind sight is perfect-------- I'm not much help, am I? lol

Old 01-24-2010, 04:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm kind of with you guys but I really want a Catalina and a plain jane one at that. This one is loaded pretty well. Power windows, seats, remote mirror, AC, power steering, power brakes...IDK I'm still debating on it.

He also says I have access to his parts car at his friends junk yard. He said I can have anything off of it but it cannot leave the yard.

I forgot to mention, he says the wonderbar radio still works too.

If it was a plain jane Catalina 4 speed car I wouldn't even hesitate