Old 08-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile '64 GTO steel repro hoods

The assertion was made in the repop parts wanted forum that steel '64 repro GTO hoods are "desperately needed". Have my own opinion on that, but what do I know A few years ago there was a nice NOS '64 GTO hood on e-Bay, sold out of Tyler TX for around $1100. Not many bidders on it... anyone here the top bidder???

Where are all those ready to plunk 1K down per hood as a deposit???

Could it be...
-most '64 GTO's have already been restored?
-there are still project 64 GTO's left to rob decent hoods from?
-there are not that many '64 2 door Tempests & LeMans left to "clone"??
-the avg driver car clone builder is a tightwad & will only pony up for $200-400 Taiwan hoods???

Help prove me wrong, the line starts here!

Old 08-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With the cost of labor these days, I'd be willing to purchase an repro '64 hood. Look at the repro '65 hoods...going for about $475 plus shipping, and originals seem to be about the same. I bought a "very nice" original '67 hood on eBay and paid for about 4 hours of prep plus paint. In hindsight, a repro would have been MUCH cheaper. I bet I have over $1000 in it.

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles
Old 08-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

there are a lot more 65 6 7 hoods out there because they fit the three years . I have seen some nice used ones . earlier this year at a local flea market I saw one for 300.00 in pretty nice shape . on the other hand 64 being a 1 year hood and scarce hard to find good ones . I had an extra one until someone stole one off one of my cars the made a good haul that day the hood and 2 sets of tri power carbs and some other items that have since been missing . I would buy a repop but the problem with that is I think there are already more 64 GTO s running around now than there were in 64 especially tri power cars .

Old 08-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Senior Chief

It costs just as much to restore a 64 Lemans as it does for a 64 GTO. So whats the difference if its a clone or not other than making a profit on the latest hype.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliano
It costs just as much to restore a 64 Lemans as it does for a 64 GTO. So whats the difference if its a clone or not other than making a profit on the latest hype.
WA???

Old 08-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would consider getting a repro steel hood "if" they were priced along the lines of the fiberglass ones. I was going to clone my Lemans and I still might someday but right now the price and the limited availability of the original hoods are keeping me from doing it. When I replaced the quarters I didn't put the fake louvres in front of the rear wheels, first because I didn't like them and second in case I did want to clone it. My motor is getting close to 100K on it so I am sure a new motor is in the future. When that time comes I am going to try and find a 389 instead of the 326. I have the tripower already so I will need the hood, emblems, and the few other interior parts to "make" it a GTO. Whether I do or don't clone it, I doubt I would ever sell it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark_Car_2a.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	23948   Click image for larger version

Name:	04230007sm.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	23949  

Old 08-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the owner of any NOS 1964 GTO Hood in excellent condition will accept $2000.00 for it, I will buy it. Would also have interest in a mint, I really mean mint, used 1964 GTO Hood in the $1000.00 range. PLEASE be serious and ready to sell. The closer to Michigan or North Carolina the better. Pick-up or delivery will need to be made in person. Many Thanks

Please email gto8mycash@yahoo.com

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 08-05-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can get the hoods done right now, but with the tooling costs etc, I have to cough up $70K. I'd have to get $600/hood, and I don't think the market is there for enough hoods to break even.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:23 PM

Thumbs up

Well Andre, My original hood is less than perfect. I'm in the process of doing a frame off right now and the body won't see much attention for at least two more years. But...if you happento get these produced, put me down for one. So what do the rest of you think? Let's take a survey. Put me down for one.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On my latest aquisition, the hood looks like someone was either conceived on it, or the River Dance troupe did some dancing on it.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

The only way I would buy if one of those idiots on the super slab hit me they have no respect . I sware I think they try to see how close they can come to your frot bumper when they pull back in . but it would be nice to have one available to buy if I need it .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto CROP 2005 017  crop.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	24239  

Old 08-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can vouche for 5 Hoods needed, only one is for me, the others for local friends. Only one of these guys has a computer, and he can't even return me an email yet (lol). Hope this isn't considered fluffing.

EXACT QUALITY of NOS - steel duplicates...I'll pay $1000.00 or +. A marginal slanty-eyed pop job, maybe 500-600. Quality and fit will be what determines what I'll pay, regardless of the origin. Don't care if it comes from Iraq so long as it's on the money. Fiberglass for $400 is out there and would be fine for a low budget driver or clone, or racer. But I just decided to bring back a Marimba Red 4speed car from days gone by.

Andre, are you truely serious about the ability to start up for 70k and how many hoods would that produce...150? Everyone has an opinion, but I see no problem at all moving 200-300 QUALITY Hoods in under a year or two. We have something to discuss if you are serious. I am in the process now of trying to secure an excellent Hood to be used as the standard of measure. Not looking to make any fortune, just looking to make a good Hood.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can guarantee that the quality would be as good or better as the '65-7, or the 68-70. Problem is that the first run will only bring me to break even. It's the second run where the money would be made. That is a darn lot of hoods.

For a love of the hobby, I'd like to do it, but from a business standpoint, I can't invest that kind of money with a weak rate of return. Not to mention all the clones that will emerge.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:06 PM

Talk to our very own Chris here at PY and Steve Ames for starters. There might be a market, there might not. There may even be a hood in the works as we type. I would have to think that there would be a market for these with both the owners of original '64s and guys out there just wanting to go for the look ie. clones. Put me down for one.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre, the 65-67/68-70 repo Hood is not quite the quality I am initially looking for, but there may need to be some compromises before it's over. They are pretty good, but a little "light". Still not bad though.

Lets put profit aside if we can for a moment. I have a partner, you could be one as well - if you wish - but don't have to be. Just looking at all options that can exist. If you have a researched and capable company, I would like to discuss this with you more. Please don't get the impression that I am going to ask you for money.

Marimba, PY has already responded to this idea. See the posts I have in the "parts you would like to see reproduced" section (2 or 3 posts that may have gotten a little lengthy- oops). I have to hope there are other options, so we are exploring them. This won't be a half-hearted effort or inferior product if I am going to have anything to do with it.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the 65-7, and 68-70 hoods are not up to the quality that you want, then there is no need to go any further with this. The law of diminishing returns would cause the price to inflate significantly.

I would hardly consider them to be inferior products, but that is my opinion only.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre, I am not sure if we are on the same page anymore or not. The subject I am pursuing is the reproduction of a 1964 GTO Hood. Not RE-reproducing the 65-67/68-70 Hoods.

I only used that reference in my post as a comparison, such as you had previously. If you can offer any direction or assistance it is much appreciated, if not; that is understood as well.

If you ever get the chance to physically lift up a repo hood and then directly lift an original hood, you can easily notice a significant weight difference. Many consider this to be a sign of lower quality/thinner gauge in the steel.

Not looking to debate previously introduced Hoods, economics, or the law of diminishing returns - just inquiring if you can furnish another lead in this project. Thank you

Old 08-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't furnish the lead, but what I am trying to say is that if you don't like the quality of the previously produced 65-7, and 68-70 hoods, the manufacturer that I was going to use will NOT be able to produce a better quality '64 gto hood.

If you want to try Goodmark, maybe they can give you some deeper insight on overseas sheet metal production

Old 08-11-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Here's an easy solution

I too am looking for a '64 hood. I understand the economics of producing a one-yr hood but try this one on for size. I see you can buy the inserts repop, so we're half way there. Would it not be cheap and easy to stamp out the scoop portion that could then be welded onto the ample supply of flat '64 hoods? Maybe one stamping fits both sides (I'm not sure if they're symmetrical). Sure there would be welding, etc, but simpler than putting on a quater panel. At least we would have an option then.
Perry

Old 08-11-2005, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Perry- I agree with you, and as a matter of fact, we have "made" alot of 64 GTO hoods using rust free lemans hoods, and rotted '64 GTO hoods that had good scoops. Before the other hoods were being reproduced, we were doing the same thing.
The results are quite good, but it does take skill and a good body man who understands the process.