Old 03-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Horn Contact Grease?

I've read some posts regarding electrical and ground contacts and using dielectric grease. I need to grease horn contact on my turn signal canceling cam. Is there anything that you recommend for this? Hopefully something I have around the garage....will bearing grease, lithium, or vaseline work? Thanks

Old 03-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Suspended

white grease would be fine.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was also wondering how a non-conductive grease would help protect and improve conductivity on terminal connections. I found these replys on the web.

It is non-conductive, but when you slide the connectors together there is metal-to-metal contact and the grease gets displaced but the area around connector is protected from moisture. If the grease was conductive it would be too easy to get "bleed" from one pin to another in a connector if the grease got hot and liquified and spread.

Also, Kopr-Shield is a conducting grease that can be used to improve conductivity in bullet and spade connectors while protecting the joints from exposure to moisture, dirt, acid, what-have-you. Oddly, works on exhaust system joints, too. Available from Eastwood, 1-800-345-1178

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" RUSH (Freewill)
Old 04-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to hijack, but what is wrong with dielectric grease? I guess maybe it doesn't act as well as a lubricant because it is more a corrosion preventative?

Thanks for starting this thread - timely.

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods
Old 04-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is nothing wrong with dielectric grease. I was questioning if you could use it on terminal connections since it is not conductive and got the following response.

"" It is non-conductive, but when you slide the connectors together there is metal-to-metal contact and the grease gets displaced but the area around connector is protected from moisture. If the grease was conductive it would be too easy to get "bleed" from one pin to another in a connector if the grease got hot and liquified and spread. ""

Someone also quoted an alternative from Eastwood that is conductive and also has corrosion protection.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" RUSH (Freewill)