Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 PM

Default Correct fan for 64 tri-power

What is the correct cooling fan for a 64 GTO with tri-power? I've seen cars with the 7 blade "bent tip," notched tip and straight blade. Is one the correct fan or are all correct depending on the factory and production date?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very confusing situation. To begin with, I believe all early '64's were built with steel bent-tip fans. There was a service update directing dealers to change these to aluminum-blade fans. This meant some '64 GTO's got bent-tip aluminum fans, straight-blade aluminum fans, or notched straight-blade aluminum fans ('65 variety).

The '64 GTO that I bought new had a straight-blade aluminum fan, no shroud. It was a May build, 3.90 rearend, metallic brakes, four barrel, four speed, and heavy duty fan & radiator (mandatory).

I'll work on the invoice copy to present a bigger image later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phil Tolkan Pontiac Black '64 Invoice 003 (744x1024).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	331860  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

I've had several 64s earliest build was February latest build was July, as memory serves I think all had the bent tip aluminum fans no shroud ,all were Pontiac built cars . note though I bought most of my GTOs from the mid 70s through the mid 80s a few were purchased from the original owners but not all.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington