THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What's happening on 231 these days?
My Pontiac spent many hours beating up on mustangs there.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We used to cruise around and hang out at the local Furr's parking lot and gas stations. By then it was mostly Grand Nationals, IROC & Fox body cars, and imports. Police used to hassle anyone who even remotely got out of line (and many who didn't), so most guys probably moved on and did other things away from the public eye where the chances of going to jail were minimal. This was 1996-1998...

I don't like being around other people, so I just get in my car and drive by myself for hours.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
I have driven both Birds this week during the day and noticed I was the only vintage car in my few drives I did. People act like I am driving something from another planet. It is getting stranger every year driving a classic.
That's exactly right lol. Thirty years ago, driving around in my GTO, I would get the attention of mainly other gearheads. It was just another old car to most folks.
But flash forward to present day with the same car, and it's a completely different experience. Everyone notices now. People driving along side taking pictures and videos, giving thumbs up, starting conversations at redlights about their uncle that used to have a 442 just like it, asking to do burnouts or race etc. All of which is great, don't get me wrong, but it can get a little unnerving at times.
I just wish sometimes I could take a drive to enjoy the car and blend in with everyone else.

As far as cruising goes, I don't see it happening anymore like it used to be.
Rules and regulations slowly killed it back in the late 80's, early 90's. And kids of today simply have much more ways to occupy their time than we did, with all the online stuff, video games, facebook etc. Cruising would be boring to them.
Back in the early 80's, the local arcade was one of the cruise spots, which was the only means of video games. If you wanted to meet chicks you had to go out and find them, instead of sitting at home on your smart phone chatting with them on Tinder.

It's a different world now.

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 07-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68azbird View Post
Yeah, I spent a lot of time there in the 80's. Don't think much is going on there anymore, although they recently put a Sonic restaurant there. Not sure if that will or has started a renewed interest in cruisin' 231.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:37 PM

I just bought a classic again. Just so I could go cruising. Now I'm the only old car on the road. My cars more of a cruiser (2 barrel carb, stock rearend) than a racer and I'm happy with that. But it sure would be nice to see some other old cars on the road. I get a lot of people checking out my car though like it's so unusual, I guess it really is though these days. I'm 31 and wishing I would have been around back when cruising was alive.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The little town I life by has one way streets on each side of main street. They got there because of so many cruisers on fri. and sat nights back in late 60's early 70's. Then the punks (hippie types) started just hanging around store fronts and the cops got tough. Before the one way streets they would have police directing traffic.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68azbird View Post
Cops and more cops, killed that spot for now.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
That's exactly right lol. Thirty years ago, driving around in my GTO, I would get the attention of mainly other gearheads. It was just another old car to most folks.
But flash forward to present day with the same car, and it's a completely different experience. Everyone notices now. People driving along side taking pictures and videos, giving thumbs up, starting conversations at redlights about their uncle that used to have a 442 just like it, asking to do burnouts or race etc. All of which is great, don't get me wrong, but it can get a little unnerving at times.
I just wish sometimes I could take a drive to enjoy the car and blend in with everyone else.

As far as cruising goes, I don't see it happening anymore like it used to be.
Rules and regulations slowly killed it back in the late 80's, early 90's. And kids of today simply have much more ways to occupy their time than we did, with all the online stuff, video games, facebook etc. Cruising would be boring to them.
Back in the early 80's, the local arcade was one of the cruise spots, which was the only means of video games. If you wanted to meet chicks you had to go out and find them, instead of sitting at home on your smart phone chatting with them on Tinder.

It's a different world now.
Ah, the arcade! That seems to go hand in hand with the nostalgia from my youth!

We used to vacation at a lake along the Lake Michigan coast. There was an arcade with go-karts, mini golf, and video games along the lakeshore drive. I used to blow through the few bucks I had, but dreamed of the day I could be one of "those" guys with the long hair, wispy 'stache, and rumbly jacked up muscle car. Of course, tho, by the time I was old enough to drive, my family quit going up there. But I saw my first gen 1 FB on vacation up there, and it was a game changer for me.

Real cruising from back in the day had that "edge" to it, where you were behaving in a marginally legal manner. We drove with a little buzz, or maybe a friend or two with an open beer. Throw that in with the anticipation of a possible awkward hookup, and it was all the hormonal indulgence you needed. It all blended together so perfectly!

Cruise-Ins today with our old cars aren't the same. They are sedate, orderly, and void of danger. I enjoy them to some degree, but for different reasons. We are all responsible, financially sound, and have a lot to lose if we F up. Back when we were young we had no clue about future responsibility, and NOTHING to lose.

I think a lot of us still have that wild streak somewhere inside; we just learned how to keep the bear sleeping.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Ah, the arcade! That seems to go hand in hand with the nostalgia from my youth!

We used to vacation at a lake along the Lake Michigan coast. There was an arcade with go-karts, mini golf, and video games along the lakeshore drive. I used to blow through the few bucks I had, but dreamed of the day I could be one of "those" guys with the long hair, wispy 'stache, and rumbly jacked up muscle car. Of course, tho, by the time I was old enough to drive, my family quit going up there. But I saw my first gen 1 FB on vacation up there, and it was a game changer for me.

Real cruising from back in the day had that "edge" to it, where you were behaving in a marginally legal manner. We drove with a little buzz, or maybe a friend or two with an open beer. Throw that in with the anticipation of a possible awkward hookup, and it was all the hormonal indulgence you needed. It all blended together so perfectly!

Cruise-Ins today with our old cars aren't the same. They are sedate, orderly, and void of danger. I enjoy them to some degree, but for different reasons. We are all responsible, financially sound, and have a lot to lose if we F up. Back when we were young we had no clue about future responsibility, and NOTHING to lose.

I think a lot of us still have that wild streak somewhere inside; we just learned how to keep the bear sleeping.
The perfect explanation! Thank You.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Speaking of being all grown up and responsible, but with a wild side, as you can see by my videos and posts, I have no problem winding the car out, doing burnouts, and driving it like I am still 17, and I do it nearly every time the car is out. To me that's part of what a muscle car is all about. Granted, I look around first for safety more now.

But now that I'm a grown up, I sort of feel like if I got stopped doing any of this, either the older cop would understand, or the younger cop would need to respect his elders! LOL

Hopefully I never have to test those theories.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 07-11-2015, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's so funny to me at 47 years old I still laugh my azz off at a burnout. Wish everyone found it as amusing as I do!

Old 07-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the late 60's to early 70's, there was a "car culture". Everyone piled into the cars and cruised the main drag looking for a race or looking to watch a race. I lived in the far western suburbs of Chicago. We would cruise downtown Elgin half the night and head down to St. Charles to Rex's Drive-In for a burger. Some nights we would wind up in Hanover Park at the Mac's.

Some racing took place out on Bode Road between Streamwood and Elgin. There was a perfect 1/4 mile "down in the hole" where the guys would post lookouts on the hills at either end. I had a 1966 Fairlane GT w. a 428 CJ top end and cam and my buddies collectively had a '69 SS 396 Chevelle, a big block '66 Impala with a Bud Richter motor and a '65 GTO with a Racer Brown cam. There was a guy from Hanover Park with a '69 427 Nova that would flat tow his car, mount his slicks and race. He was wayyyy serious, we were just out to have fun and test each others' cars.

Sometimes we would cruise to Skip's on North Avenue in Chicago where "the big boys" hung out with cars way out of our league.

In those days, it was just fun hanging out and driving around. Gas was cheap so we would drive around all night checking out the cars (and girls). You had to live in that era to understand it. You tell the kids today and they will ask " So what is so much fun about driving around and doing nothing?"

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 07-12-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
It's so funny to me at 47 years old I still laugh my azz off at a burnout. Wish everyone found it as amusing as I do!
My kids do. They ask for one every time! And being the hood father that I am, I oblige them.

Here, I'll make you laugh some more:

In this one, I've got one son filming and the other strapped in the car seat.
https://youtu.be/5UEYR-ApA7k

https://youtu.be/HvrAMTlM1_c

469, M21, 3.42

Old 07-12-2015, 02:17 AM
Suspended

I to live in a small town in southwest MI. We use to cruise all night long,(70's-80's), but we to got older & we all got married & jobs that we had to be to at in the early AM. Now we have to get up & go to work or what ever & we don't seem to have the same amount of time we had when we were young. Between 1965 & 1977 we had about 40K people in town because of all the shops & business's we had. Now we have about 10K in the same town. We had back then lots of cars & guys cruising, but now when you see a classic car it's because it's going to a show or out of town somewhere else. We have a very nice show every wed. & get on avg. about 175 cars, but I tried to get an official/unofficial night cruise going & went around to all the cars at the show & talked with all the people with the cars to see if they'd be interested in a night cruise like we use to & everyone had something else to do or couldn't wouldn't bring there car out at night. We to have lost the passion to come out & cruise here to. I forgot we close our show on wed. at 9:00 PM & after the show about 15 mins after the show closes you would swear theres no classic cars in this town, they just disappear.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes I feel a little isolated in my passion for old muscle.

Probably no more than 10 people out of the hundreds that I work with get it. That's why I come here, because you guys DO get it. I have some local friends who dig it too, but sometimes schedules conflict because we are grownups.

I can "cruise" PY for a quick 20 minute fix, AND drink a beer without fear of jail time and $6k in fines.

But haven't times changed? I watched the video from Minnesota in '79, and the local sheriff mentioned citing someone for open beers, and letting them go. Could you imagine cruising with a couple buddies these days with an open beer or two? Not saying that road beering is good, but you'd end up in jail as some sort of menace to society!

Adam, cool burnout! I gotta go let some smoke outta my tires tomorrow. I'll have my boy film it.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, Squid, you hit every nail on the head. Cruising and bench racing here is fun and easier to fit into our busy schedules.

Yes, I loved the comment about the beer drinking and driving on the video. I can remember having half our beer confiscated and then being sent to drive home. Where do you think the other half of that beer went? Do basically the cops made us drink and drive (sort of). LOL. Different times for sure.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 07-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Took white car to an 80+ local small show yesterday. Storm was forecasted and did blow in mid afternoon, so they hurried up so people could leave before and get cars home. How this ties into cruising is so many people were deathly afraid and in a state of terror over potential raindrops on their mega X car. The other point I noticed, and I think it always has been this way, except older, I now have different perspective eyeballs then I used to. But what I noticed was how over half the cars were not very streetable set ups and some were totally unusable to drive. I get race cars and marginally legal street hero cars, I do, but when over half the field has cars they can't (or won't) drive over ten miles and none on over 45mph roads, it looks like the "cruising" part is kind of missing for many. I do love the full scale "model" cars, I do really, the ultra modified ones are the crowd ga-ga cars for sure and with stock resto ones, the guiding light to emulate. But for some reason they make me sad, like the puppy that never gets walked ....

ps, I do have an ever growing list of places / roads / times of day to not drive my car and I have to keep reminding myself none of this will matter when I am 89 and what do I care how immaculate I leave my car for some other joker????

Last edited by bird72; 07-12-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
Yup, Squid, you hit every nail on the head. Cruising and bench racing here is fun and easier to fit into our busy schedules.

Yes, I loved the comment about the beer drinking and driving on the video. I can remember having half our beer confiscated and then being sent to drive home. Where do you think the other half of that beer went? Do basically the cops made us drink and drive (sort of). LOL. Different times for sure.
Found mentioned beer @ 9:00 mark here http://youtu.be/sVC6Yo9Z8CI contributing to "efficient traffic control?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	402494  

Old 07-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Took white car to an 80+ local small show yesterday. Storm was forecasted and did blow in mid afternoon, so they hurried up so people could leave before and get cars home. How this ties into cruising is so many people were deathly afraid and in a state of terror over potential raindrops on their mega X car. The other point I noticed, and I think it always has been this way, except older, I now have different perspective eyeballs then I used to. But what I noticed was how over half the cars were not very streetable set ups and some were totally unusable to drive. I get race cars and marginally legal street hero cars, I do, but when over half the field has cars they can't (or won't) drive over ten miles and none on over 45mph roads, it looks like the "cruising" part is kind of missing for many. I do love the full scale "model" cars, I do really, the ultra modified ones are the crowd ga-ga cars for sure and with stock resto ones, the guiding light to emulate. But for some reason they make me sad, like the puppy that never gets walked ....

ps, I do have am ever growing list of places / roads / times of day to not drive my car and I have to keep reminding myself none of this will matter when I am 89 and what do I care how immaculate I leave my car for some other joker????
Remember Pro Street and ISCA winners @ Cruisins? Are they a Race Car, Full Size 1:1 model Cars or???
Regardless I Luv Em!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I enjoy driving my cars and big (Peterbilt) truck, People now days come too a car cruise-get out there chairs-set down and don't even go look at other cars. People will go to the Woodward Dream Cruise and just park and sit. I have to atleast go from one end too the other and back. I always say no matter how nice a ride you gotta drive it alittle. Like having a nice girlfriend or wife you don't touch.