THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Remember Pro Street and ISCA winners @ Cruisins? Are they a Race Car, Full Size 1:1 model Cars or???
Regardless I Luv Em!
Not sure (??) I love the whazzooo stuff, I do. But it dawned on me yesterday. My car can do something many many cars there couldn't or wouldn't..... I have one I can take on the two hour drive around the big lake here. Kinda like my next modification(s) to my one car. It will be what they used to call "Grand Touring". Comfortable / powerful / able to drive cross country and it be effortless, fun, somewhat refined, with AC on (getting old here). I am even threatening to put a (correct) luggage rack on the thing (ok maybe not). It really gets down to what you want out of a car.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was a teenager in the late '70s in a small town in Eastern Connecticut…weekend nights were spent cursing between several spots…we'd all meet up at the parking lot next to the Pizza Palace and then go to the hill, the trestle, the cabin, etc. It wasn't really centered on the cars, more just socializing in spots that were "private". The cars were just a way to get from one spot to another quickly and in style. When I go home to visit my mom, I drive by all these spots and I never see anyone. Don't see any vintage cars either.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Not sure (??) I love the whazzooo stuff, I do. But it dawned on me yesterday. My car can do something many many cars there couldn't or wouldn't..... I have one I can take on the two hour drive around the big lake here. Kinda like my next modification(s) to my one car. It will be what they used to call "Grand Touring". Comfortable / powerful / able to drive cross country and it be effortless, fun, somewhat refined, with AC on (getting old here). I am even threatening to put a (correct) luggage rack on the thing (ok maybe not). It really gets down to what you want out of a car.
Agree and have been a longtime "Grand Touring" fan also. You bring up another hidden point that when you exercise your car on an extended trip it runs better and seemingly holds up better w fewer deterioration (dry rot) issues than when short tripped, minimal use.

Often find new "issues" when ours haven't been run through their paces for extended periods. One of the things needed these days is roadside repair kit w (as appropriate for make/model) points, cap, rotor, spark plug(s), ign. module, fuel filter & gasket, paper towels, hand cleaner, tools...cause as they've aged the simple repair parts are often not on the local parts store shelves...

Old 07-17-2015, 06:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So like cruising, I think this thread is also dead. LOL

469, M21, 3.42

Old 07-17-2015, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It lost its edge. Can't get arrested or get laid by cruising this thread.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

People still cruise here in Michigan on roads like Telegraph on Friday and Saturday nights. Not cool when someone os cruising an import junk with a loud fart can. We have the Down River Cruise, 28th Street Cruise, Michigan Ave Cruise, All American Cruise on Wayne Rd., Hines Park Cruise, Telegragh Rd. Cruise, Woodward Dream Cruise and probably a few more I forgot to mention. Telegraph was the hang out place when I was 16 into my 30's. I went there every Friday and Saturday nights and got my share of drag racing tickets too. We would cruise until about midnight.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He!!, cruising is actually ILLEGAL in some places. Atlantic Ave. in VA Beach for one. That is a sure sign that it was something fun to do.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 07-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
It's so funny to me at 47 years old I still laugh my azz off at a burnout. Wish everyone found it as amusing as I do!
I do, I do! I'm 46 and I can't get enough of it either. I lay a respectable patch EVERY time I take my car out. My kids love it, and so does the big kid driving.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm 44 and I think I was at the tail end of cruising in my area. Me and my high school friends would all pile in my 77GP and take a 40min drive into the big metropolis of Cedar Rapids to cruise 1st Ave. It was always a blast to beat up on Mustangs and Camaro in a huge car like that. For being in IA it had a pretty lively cruise scene from 10 to midnight.

Gas was cheap, Radar detector on, Friends on lookout for cops, girls and cars to race.

When my older brother joined the military he was stationed in little Rock. We met halfway one time in St Luis and I got to see first hand what real cruising looked like. It was equally about the girls as much as the cars.

Another time I drove the whole way to Little Rock and spent a few days. Hit a few cruise spots, a few junk yards, acted like morons in front of all the women. It was a blast.

One story that I gotta tell about cruising 1st Ave in my 77GP. I was checking out something besides what was in front of me and had to make an emergency stop to keep from hitting a 77 Monte Carlo in front of me. I was able to stop just inches from his bumper. The car behind me was not so lucky. I think is was a Chevy Citation. The whole front end was destroyed. He slammed me so hard the radar detector on the visor hit me right in the mouth. I was pushed hard right into the Monte. We all got out and looked things over No damage to the Monte so he left. No damage to my car but still exchanged info with him. Those 77s were Tanks.

Anymore we drive to cruise events.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:03 PM

But it was all predicated on chasing tail or chasing a buzz. When you grow up you have easier access to both. You buy your own buzz, and stop chasing tail to marry it. And then years later you get a muscle car to remind yourself that for a brief moment in time you were the king of the world.
So very true!!

Old 07-17-2015, 06:38 PM

Many Cities,Villages,have had bans on the old fashion 60's-70's cruises for years. The only actual driving cruises in my area are usually held by a local car club and organized with the cities permission. Their are plenty of weekly- or once a month cruise-in parking events to attend. In my home town we use to call the downtown cruise area the "Circuit" ten blocks up 3rd street,ten blocks down 4th street.The city has had a ban on cruising for over 25 years. When the law went into effect,anyone seen lapping the circuit more than twice would get pulled over and issued a ticket. Pretty much chased all the young crowd from the downtown area back in the day.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:40 PM
Suspended

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Gas was cheap, Radar detector on, Friends on lookout for cops, girls and cars to race...
Hit a few cruise spots, a few junk yards, acted like morons in front of all the women. It was a blast.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs69 View Post
I do, I do! I'm 46 and I can't get enough of it either. I lay a respectable patch EVERY time I take my car out. My kids love it, and so does the big kid driving.
Amen to that! In fact, one day last summer I was coming home with a few kids in the car and they started chanting "burnout! burnout!" So naturally, I obliged them. I set the line locks and did a nice, modest smokey burnout in front of my house. Well, the kid 3 houses down cutting his grass had a heart attach and ran for the house like he was being chased by an ax murdered. Then a few minutes later a neighbor came walking by to yell at the kids, but then realized it was ME not the kids doing the deed. She said, "oh, ok. It was you. I thought it was the kids or there was an accident or something." Yes, that's what an accident sounds and looks like.

The good thing is my next door and across the street neighbor usually start chanting with my kids for more burnouts! ;-)

469, M21, 3.42

Old 07-17-2015, 09:04 PM

Red face

Well if you were ever a Foreigner fan listening to Rev on the Redline, you heard about racing on Lake Avenue. That was our cruise strip in Rochester, NY. It ended at a big parking lot at the beach where you could hang out, have a burger or an Abbots Frozen custard. Cops might walk by, check out your ride and would not hassle you. Couple of red lights going up Lake Ave might give you a chance for a short stop light race. If you wanted a better one, you took it it to the nearby parkway where you could get a good run in, without traffic in the way. You'd even find a painted start and end line sometimes. Best race was a girl in her 60s Camaro that wanted a race. We'd usually win when I'd hit 3rd in the 67 GTO with the close ratio Muncie and the tri-power letting out that sweet 'waaaa...wahhhh! We win, she pulls up, looks at us 3 guys and says, 'wow, your car car screws!'. Our jaws dropped and none of us could utter any kind of reply. Never saw that fast girl in the Camaro again.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

boy, i sure did love reading these posts, and the stories sure brought back some memories for me! i lived just north of detroit--just a few mins north of pontiac..and as a teen in the 80s, i was a car nut as were all my friends. we used to cruise winchester mall in rochester, and cruise lapeer sometimes too. i have a buddy that lives in sebewaing and i used to drive up there in my 82 cutlass and we would cruise town all night..meeting girls, drinking beer and watching races. back in lake orion where i grew up, the gm plant on brown road was marked off for a 1/4 mile and there would be 30 to 50 cars lined on the side of the road to watch the big boys with nitrous wring it out...hell, even the gm security guard would watch! i loved to cruise--you would meet up with friends, meet chicks, find a buyer and just drive fast with the windows down. but alas, that was the late 80s early 90s. the world has done a 180 since then. nothing is the same-there is no thrills--car shows are alll seniors and a few middle aged guys now and all sanitary..hell, back in the day at the waterford kmart every car that left did a hole shot--today they wont let you back in the show if you even squawk your tires. im sorry to say it but todays world sucks. plain and simple.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:17 AM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgto View Post
Well if you were ever a Foreigner fan listening to Rev on the Redline, you heard about racing on Lake Avenue. That was our cruise strip in Rochester, NY. It ended at a big parking lot at the beach where you could hang out, have a burger or an Abbots Frozen custard. Cops might walk by, check out your ride and would not hassle you. Couple of red lights going up Lake Ave might give you a chance for a short stop light race. If you wanted a better one, you took it it to the nearby parkway where you could get a good run in, without traffic in the way. You'd even find a painted start and end line sometimes. Best race was a girl in her 60s Camaro that wanted a race. We'd usually win when I'd hit 3rd in the 67 GTO with the close ratio Muncie and the tri-power letting out that sweet 'waaaa...wahhhh! We win, she pulls up, looks at us 3 guys and says, 'wow, your car car screws!'. Our jaws dropped and none of us could utter any kind of reply. Never saw that fast girl in the Camaro again.
Now that you mention it...do recall that song by Foriegner played again & again and still have it on vinyl LP!!!
Thx for the backstory BTW

Old 07-18-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Now that you mention it...do recall that song by Foriegner played again & again and still have it on vinyl LP!!!
Thx for the backstory BTW
Lou Gramm is the muscle car guy from Rochester. He has several and I have heard about them but have never had a chance to see them or meet him in first hand. With a 67 back on the road, I'm hoping I'll run into him at a cruise night as we do have them still throughout the summer. People basically meet at parking lots. Lots of nice cars hidden up here that come out for a cruise meet up.
Anyhow, when that song comes up on the radio, The memories quickly return running that 67 4 speed on Lake Avenue.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergary View Post
I enjoy driving my cars and big (Peterbilt) truck, People now days come too a car cruise-get out there chairs-set down and don't even go look at other cars. People will go to the Woodward Dream Cruise and just park and sit. I have to atleast go from one end too the other and back. I always say no matter how nice a ride you gotta drive it alittle. Like having a nice girlfriend or wife you don't touch.
" People will go to the Woodward Dream Cruise and just park and sit"

https://youtu.be/N1kqAUqeBj0

Old 07-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A few guys are going to a local show near my house tomorrow, there are all asking if I am going and are all getting ready. I told them I'll stop in, but to sit in a lot all day bores the hell out of me. I go for a drive, stay for an hour, and take the long way home just to get some miles on. I like driving my car not looking at them. There is a sunoco station right near there so I'll throw some 93 in!

Old 07-18-2015, 03:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1966goat Send a message via Skype™ to 1966goat

In NJ, a lot of the popular cruising roads from back in the day now have signs that say "no cruising zone". I live in San Jose now, and I see those signs around where I live.

What I have found is guys will cruise their classics near the piers in San Francisco on friday and saturday night. Many of them have amazing paint jobs, but they are the ones with hydraulics and 12" wheels.

461ci, Edelbrock 72cc heads, KB 15cc dished pistons, comp xe274, PRW 1.5 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 80508 750cfm, RARE oversized manifolds, Pypes X-pipe Exhaust