Old 05-10-2020, 09:07 AM

Default PCV "GAS GAS GAS" Hose ?

Were those small green fuel line clamps factory installed on the 1965 PCV Vacuum Line Hose that says GAS GAS GAS ? I don't recall ever seeing them on factory original cars, the hose has a pretty snug fit.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:43 AM
Boost Engineer

This is right from the GTO Restoration Guide by Zazarine and Roberts, who used factory illustrations in their book. I do not see any squeeze clamps on the pcv hoses in the illustration. The hoses are just pushed over the barbed connections as the hoses see VACUUM vs pressure which could blow the hoses off.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac GTO Restoration Guide 1964-1972 pcv system.png
Views:	68
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	539827  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Mr. Vaught,

No squeeze clamps used on the PCV hoses.

Factory photo from Pontiac Shop Manuel.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82E00AB3-E27A-465F-B90F-9C74E331EAF5.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	539833  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.

Last edited by 60sstuff; 05-10-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:44 PM

Sounds good guys, thanks.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same with the vacuum connections to Tripower vacuum linkage. None of the hoses used clamps.

In addition, the 3/8" hose to the power brake check valve had no hos clamps, but there was a clamp used on the transition from the hard metal line to the hose near the driver's side valve cover. On the other end of the hard metal line, there were two clamps holding the power brake hose to the carb vacuum nipple.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-11-2020, 08:13 AM
Boost Engineer

And that Carb Vacuum Nipple I believe was located on the front carb vs the center carb for the Power Brake vacuum source. I believe those were a squeeze pliers band clamp that fit over the hose and then special pliers made the clamp band smaller.

I had Manual Brakes so going by a picture and memory here.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I still had some of the 64 GTO vacuum parts (long since moved on) I think the hoses around the check valve after it came out of the front carb to the bracket on the pass side had some of those squeeze plier clamps on it. But most of it didn't have clamps.

But most vacuum hoses don't have clamps such as dist vacuum or the short hose on the tube on the choke. Unless the hose is old and brittle with splits the vacuum sucks the hose tighter and clamps are not needed. New soft hoses are nice.