Old 04-19-2020, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
the firebird definitely had raised white letters.
Yes only the firebird could get white letters. No gto or judges were ever built with white letter tires. Most were blackwell tires and were always a Goodyear polyglas on a judge. I've seen gtos with uniroyals and Firestone's but a judge always had the Goodyear tires

Old 04-19-2020, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks don, Ive been told for years that no way it could have come with them and I just laugh to myself and look at the pictures of the car with around 15 miles on it. I just always go by the never say never back then. anything was possible.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful aesthetic quality, love the front and rear end fitment of bumpers, valance and tail lights etc. They aced the Ram Air decal placement too. In 30 40 years of boneyarding 69's I can say I've never seen anything but chassis black undercarriage on any 69 including untold CR cars regardless of plant. SDome had grey primer instead of the red oxide for the primer above but all had black underneath.

As a survivor fan this car irritates me on a few fronts, not an attack on this car, mostly common ailments of highly detailed restos that often drop the same balls in my humble opinion...

...missing the lower front baffle, standard on all AC cars and any car with 3.90 or 4.33 gears (so all IV cars had it)
...antenna titled outwards, factory spec was always slightly inward and slightly rearward
...white letter tires were never offered on 69 GTO's
...sits way too high in back
...Rally wheel color is way off
...exhaust; tail pipes set too low, head pipes should be black or natural steel, not zinc plated
...rear bar
...front lower corner of right fender is pushed in, looks like it was restored that way
...repop dash woodgrain stands out in an otherwise very nicely done dash
...not sure but I don't think any IV car was built early enough to have early park brake pad with trim?
...is it me or does carpet look grayish?
...orange paint on the Endura nose upper mounting plates
...a bit too many decals and stickers in the engine bay
...a lot too many stickers underneath the car
...the shiny diff and driveshaft look strange, I never saw an original baltimore car without black paint on the diff

Not knocking a beautiful car, just wonder why they get so many things like this wrong on what was obviously a megabuck resto.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 04-20-2020, 07:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
...a bit too many decals and stickers in the engine bay
...a lot too many stickers underneath the car
Par for the course. The councours restorers seem to love going nuts with the goofy little stickers.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 04-20-2020, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some photography shows black carpet (and some seat covers) looking gray.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 04-20-2020, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
Par for the course. The concourse restorers seem to love going nuts with the goofy little stickers.
Yes, they do ruin it. Sorry to see allot of these stickers that never even been used on most of these cars. F-Bodies are the same iif not worse with these dumb decal kits.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The throw on use of the store bought detail sticker sheets is definitely out of control. These "detail sticker" sheets would be much better if the did not have so many contrived decals.

Using them, Moderation is the best policy! Detailing decals that, imho, should NOT raise eyebrows on the cutting edge Concours restoration of a late 60's/early to mid 70's Pontiac A-body or Firebird include:

-original shock ID stickers,
-coil spring tags,
-the tiny accel cable ID tag, at least on '68-72 Pontiac A-body's & early 2nd Gen Birds.
-similar tiny ID decal on master cylinder bale.
-dash cluster ID sticker (would only see it in pictures in the car's restoration album).
-steering column ID decal
-radio or AM-FM stereo ID sticker on the side
-thin wrap type harness ID tags on original engine wiring harnesses, also on dash harnesses on the main "trunk" going into the fuse box
-tags on '70-72 LeMans/GTO tail lamp harnesses (well hidden, when bumper is installed).

Last, I always get a chuckle out of a freshly installed ID tag on a '70-72 A-body rear sway-bar. Another gutbuster is the two letter color ID bands that the sticker smucks wrap around an axle tube on a Pontiac ysage McKinnon 12 bolt rearend, both are definitely contrived "details".

Old 04-20-2020, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think this decal habit got going because a lot of replacement GM parts had stickers on them. But most factory installed parts didn’t.

Forgot who said it but it goes more or less like... “perfection is achieved by what you take away, not by what you add”

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 04-25-2020, 12:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirBirds View Post
All Carousel Red cars were "sprayed" with Red Oxide for the primer. The "Orange" covered better over the Red Oxide. ONLY on Carousel Cars GTO or Firebird. This was also the case on the Camaro. This has been researched heavily in the Yenko world..Again these were sprayed as a primer coat. Not the same as the 70 firebird where it was dipped.
I have an original 69 RAIV Judge and have lots of photos showing the Red Oxide Everywhere, inside and out. In some cases there was some black sprayed over the Red on the BOTTOM of the car but it was not complete coverage.
This is not true!! I had a pattern CR Judge back in 1973 and the chassis and under carriage were painted black like they should be. This myth has been spread all over the net that the underside of these cars are painted other than black. This is the same for the underside of the hood too. Overspray though is common but nothing like this car. Further, it seems everyone has a 69 RAIV Judge car today. It is the most faked and counterfeited GTO. These cars were thrashed into pudding back in the days on the street and strip and now we're seeing them everywhere? Same with the big block Vettes too. This ad says nothing about original block but my guess is it was either restamped or an SR block was used...

Last edited by Ram Air IV Jack; 04-25-2020 at 12:40 PM.