Old 05-15-2020, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, evaporust is what I would be using unless I had a gallon CLR already lying around.

You can take a room temp driveshaft and dunk it in warm/hot water ... the warm water will expand the air in the driveshaft and if there are any leaks they will show up in bubbles.

Strange how none of us think much about how the inside of a driveshaft looks .... wonder how they hold up being sealed for 40-50 years.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Is there a reason why you don’t want to use Evaporust? I’ve used almost every product to remove rust and this is the safest best working product I’ve found.
No reason, I have CLR already.

1968 GTO Convertable
2bbl 265hp
Old 05-15-2020, 04:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Yep, evaporust is what I would be using unless I had a gallon CLR already lying around.

You can take a room temp driveshaft and dunk it in warm/hot water ... the warm water will expand the air in the driveshaft and if there are any leaks they will show up in bubbles.

Strange how none of us think much about how the inside of a driveshaft looks .... wonder how they hold up being sealed for 40-50 years.
A gallon of white vinegar mixed with about half gallon of distilled water will work also. That is how I remove rust on most all my parts. Fairly inexpensive.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:13 PM

I just "read" my propshaft on a 68 400 Manual. 55" long. The shaft was not painted, after removing the ziebart rust proofing, about half the shaft had rust and half was bare metal. one purple or pink stripe near the center. One white marking at the diff end parallel to the shaft on the rectangular weight side. Also a round circular weight on the trans end.

Installing new u-joints and hopefully I can find the high runout side of the yoke. Is that the farthest from centerline? Makes sense if light side goes towards it. Thanks!

OP- "Just to be sure ... the short narrowed neck goes toward the trans and the long narrowed section toward the rear correct?" Yes.