Old 06-12-2004, 05:01 AM

Hey- stupid question, I know. Putting the beltline trim back on the Cat, and wondering the correct method. My assumption is that I would install all the studs and plastic clips to the moulding first, and then attach it to the car. Is this correct? And then there are the 3 peices that run around the roof (2 tone car). those clips slide onto studs. Do I put the clips on the studs and snap on the moulding, or put the clips in the mouldng and then slide them onto the studs. This might be basic to most of you but I figure your knowledge will save my paint job.

Old 06-12-2004, 05:01 AM

Hey- stupid question, I know. Putting the beltline trim back on the Cat, and wondering the correct method. My assumption is that I would install all the studs and plastic clips to the moulding first, and then attach it to the car. Is this correct? And then there are the 3 peices that run around the roof (2 tone car). those clips slide onto studs. Do I put the clips on the studs and snap on the moulding, or put the clips in the mouldng and then slide them onto the studs. This might be basic to most of you but I figure your knowledge will save my paint job.

Old 06-12-2004, 07:34 PM

phatcat,
I have seen people mount the beltline molding clips to the panels, then align the molding and snap it on. This is probably more efficient but I don't do it because I am always afraid of marring fresh paint if I need to tweak the position of a clip or two. For my car I installed the clips to the molding and then slide the clips and test fit until all the threaded stud line up with their holes. Next I started all of the nuts and finger tightened them. Sight down the moldings and make sure they appear straight and that door gaps are sufficient then tighten the nuts. For the clips that need to snap over studs welded to the body, you have to install the clips first then snap on the molding. I am not sure of your roof molding but i usually slide the molding joints together and align then to the body first then snap the assembly down. Sliding a molding inside another that is already snapped down can shift them and mar the paint.
BAH

Old 06-13-2004, 08:37 AM

thanks bah for your advice. I see the sense in your method too.

Old 06-14-2004, 05:07 PM

I tried to order he clips I needed from Northland, but he seems in the dark as to what I need. Anyone have the GM part numbers for the clips or do I have to deal with Ames, they want $2 per push in clip. Seems a bit much