Old 06-25-2004, 01:34 PM

As I live in Phoenix my Catalina is always hot after being in the sun. If I run the blower on high for any length of time the fuse on the back of the alternator completely fries to the case. Inside the case is a 30 amp fuse. How can I correct the system so that I can continually run the blower on high. The blower motor was replaced and is fairly new and I only have the problem when it is run on the high setting. I do have a new blower switch but have not yet installed it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I use this car a lot and with the heat it is mighty uncomfortable. Thanks CW

Old 06-25-2004, 01:34 PM

As I live in Phoenix my Catalina is always hot after being in the sun. If I run the blower on high for any length of time the fuse on the back of the alternator completely fries to the case. Inside the case is a 30 amp fuse. How can I correct the system so that I can continually run the blower on high. The blower motor was replaced and is fairly new and I only have the problem when it is run on the high setting. I do have a new blower switch but have not yet installed it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I use this car a lot and with the heat it is mighty uncomfortable. Thanks CW

Old 06-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Suspended

replace line to blower relay with 10 gauge wire and mount an in line 30 amp circuit breaker, one that plugs into an in line newer fuse holder or a breaker that can be screwed to the firewall. The current glass fuses are subject to heat failure when located at the alternator. On mine, the metal ends where the glass is will melt and break continuity, rather than the fuse element breaking in the middle. This fix is not factory, but it is not subject to heat stress, and if the circuit breaker pops, it will thermally reset and close once it cools off. So no fuses to replace. Changing the blower switch will not affect this circuit unless your problem was the relay did not engage, which is not the case based on you changing fuses and you are good to go.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can also splice in a 30A blade type fuse and holder into the high blow circuit and eliminate the glass fuse problems that engineer mentioned. As always, solder and heat shrink the splices.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 06-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Suspended

thats the type of holder I meant, but use a plug in circuit breaker instead of the blade fuse. Thanks

Old 06-27-2004, 10:05 AM

Thanks Engineer and Wheelspin for the info to correct the problem with the a/c on my Catalina. Sounds like such an easy fix for a problem I have had to live with for so many summers. Lastly where can I go to get the circuit breaker. Thanks again CW

Old 06-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Suspended

same place as the fuse holder, any auto parts store.