Old 06-23-2004, 02:44 PM

Okay, new guy here. I am cautiously approaching this old FB I picked up for $100, because I think it may have a pretty rare pice of motor inside. I am pretty much satisfied that it's a '69 428 w/ 390 stock HP, but if anyone can set me straight, I'd appreciate it. First off, there are no numbers cast in the driver's or passenger's sides that indicate displacement, like a 400 does. It has three freeze plugs and two motor mount holes, so I'm fairly positive it's between 67-69. Near the distributor hole, from the left, are castings "H107," a dial pointed to a "D" at the nine o'clock position, and at the six o'clock is a "6." Further to the right are cast numbers "9792968." On the front, on the passenger side on the front is stamped "058542" above "WJ." Just around the corner, on the passenger side, is cast "GME." And, it's a four bolt main (never saw Pontiac 4 bolts, but man, are they sturdy looking!) On the heads, which are "16's," one is cast along the top "D N 36 H807" or similar, on the opposite side is "D N 36 H787" or similar. When I disassembled it, it had an ArmaSteel crank, TRW forged aluminum pistons at .030 over, and a Comp Cams 268H, which obviously tells me it has been rebuilt. I have pics of all this if any futher clarification is needed. Any help on the air tight ID of these parts is appreciated. I can be emailed directly at dottrz@alltel.net

Old 06-23-2004, 02:44 PM

Okay, new guy here. I am cautiously approaching this old FB I picked up for $100, because I think it may have a pretty rare pice of motor inside. I am pretty much satisfied that it's a '69 428 w/ 390 stock HP, but if anyone can set me straight, I'd appreciate it. First off, there are no numbers cast in the driver's or passenger's sides that indicate displacement, like a 400 does. It has three freeze plugs and two motor mount holes, so I'm fairly positive it's between 67-69. Near the distributor hole, from the left, are castings "H107," a dial pointed to a "D" at the nine o'clock position, and at the six o'clock is a "6." Further to the right are cast numbers "9792968." On the front, on the passenger side on the front is stamped "058542" above "WJ." Just around the corner, on the passenger side, is cast "GME." And, it's a four bolt main (never saw Pontiac 4 bolts, but man, are they sturdy looking!) On the heads, which are "16's," one is cast along the top "D N 36 H807" or similar, on the opposite side is "D N 36 H787" or similar. When I disassembled it, it had an ArmaSteel crank, TRW forged aluminum pistons at .030 over, and a Comp Cams 268H, which obviously tells me it has been rebuilt. I have pics of all this if any futher clarification is needed. Any help on the air tight ID of these parts is appreciated. I can be emailed directly at dottrz@alltel.net

Old 06-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a 1968 428 4 bolt main as you said. Originally 390 HP with 16 heads.
Which sounds like you have the original heads for that engine.

I think you got a good deal!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates