THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hal Blaine, possibly the worlds most prolific drummer passes at 90 yesterday

It is a sad day for children who grew up in the 1960's and 70's and loved pop/rock music. Hal Blaine, leader, musical director and drummer of the wrecking crew has passed away. Hal's recognizable beat and distinct sound was the beat of 37,000 recorded songs in the 1960's and 1970's. His work was part of 40 #1 singles. I first found out about how great his sound was when Jan and Dean were belting out hits. Their percussion was always a cut above many others. It was Hal behind the kit. I ran the math on just how much he recorded. If you take the 37,000 songs and average them at 3 minutes, typical for the day. That's 77 24 hour days of recorded hits by the man. Now that's a life's work! In various youtube videos and in the "Wrecking Crew" documentary, he seems to be a genuinely nice guy too. My wife became a facebook friend with several wrecking crew members about 6 years ago and they have stayed in touch. RIP Hal Blaine, the "drummers, drummer".

Old 03-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just as a footnote for Mr. Blaine. I realize he was never a household name to most of us. But here is a list of ONLY THE #1 Billboard Hits he was the drummer for. This is 40 of the 37,000 songs. If you listened to any music that was popular from the 60's and 70's, professionally recorded, there is a good chance you are familiar with his work. Kind of like Mac McKellar. The consummate professional quietly making magic in the background of the giant egos. RIP

"Johnny Angel" – Shelley Fabares[19]
"He's a Rebel" – The Crystals[3]
"Surf City" – Jan & Dean[20]
"I Get Around" – The Beach Boys[6]
"Everybody Loves Somebody" – Dean Martin[6]
"Ringo" – Lorne Greene[21]
"This Diamond Ring" – Gary Lewis & the Playboys[21]
"Help Me, Rhonda" – The Beach Boys[6]
"Mr Tambourine Man" – The Byrds[3]
"Eve of Destruction" – Barry McGuire[22]
"My Love" – Petula Clark[21]
"These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" – Nancy Sinatra[6]
"Monday Monday" – The Mamas & the Papas[6]
"Strangers in the Night" – Frank Sinatra[6]
"Poor Side of Town" – Johnny Rivers[4]
"Good Vibrations" – The Beach Boys[6]
"Somethin' Stupid" – Frank & Nancy Sinatra[6]
"The Happening" – The Supremes[1][23]
"Windy" – The Association[6]
"Mrs. Robinson" – Simon & Garfunkel[6]
"Dizzy" – Tommy Roe[21]
"Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In" – The 5th Dimension[6]
"Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet" – Henry Mancini[21]
"Wedding Bell Blues" – The 5th Dimension[21]
"Bridge Over Troubled Water" – Simon & Garfunkel[21]
"(They Long to Be) Close to You" – The Carpenters[6]
"Cracklin' Rosie" – Neil Diamond[6]
"I Think I Love You" – The Partridge Family[21]
"Indian Reservation" – The Raiders[21]
"Song Sung Blue" – Neil Diamond[6]
"Half Breed" – Cher[21]
"Annie's Song" – John Denver[21]
"Top of the World" – The Carpenters [6]
"The Way We Were" – Barbra Streisand[6]
"Thank God I'm a Country Boy" – John Denver[6]
"Love Will Keep Us Together" – Captain & Tennille[6]
"I'm Sorry"/"Calypso" – John Denver[21]
"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)" – Diana Ross[21]

Last edited by mgarblik; 03-12-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More #1 hits than Ginger Baker & Jim Gordon combined. I like at least 26 of those.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:40 AM
Senior Chief

He's been in on more hits than the mob.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 03-13-2019, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Part of the Wrecking Crew.

Great doc with interviews of Hal Blaine for those interested: http://www.magpictures.com/thewreckingcrew/

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 03-13-2019, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

RIP. Thanks for the list,very impressive.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He was the drummer for the Monkees as well as a stand in for the Beach Boys, quite a storied career. In his biography he said the 37,000 number was over inflated. He said it was more like 6,000. Still a lot of music.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:53 AM
Senior Chief

Good example of Blaine's work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02RNkif86Wc

Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Blue View Post
Good example of Blaine's work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02RNkif86Wc

Has a distinct Keith Moon timing & choice. HB really grought that song up!

Old 03-13-2019, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
He was the drummer for the Monkees as well as a stand in for the Beach Boys, quite a storied career. In his biography he said the 37,000 number was over inflated. He said it was more like 6,000. Still a lot of music.
Thanks for that correction. 37,000 recordings just didn't seem possible. I had seen that number from several sources but never from his mouth. The 6000 songs I heard from him in multiple interviews, but the number was always followed by "hits" so not sure what that meant exactly. No matter. He was the percussionist for a generation of rock and pop hits and a good one. As a fan of the Beach Boys I enjoyed some of the original Pet Sounds studio archives where he had extended interaction with Brian Wilson. Hal was the "old experienced studio expert" and Brian was the young genius who knew the sound he wanted and was desperately trying to convey it to Hal. It was just a very interesting dynamic. There is good stuff on youtube of these sessions. I have become very interested in the making of this music over the last ten years or so. It's the sound track of my muscle car infatuation. HIS, I find it interesting that you mention Keith Moon in your comment about Hal Blaine. You may know Keith Moon had a genuine love of surf music. Hard to believe in a way, but he loved it. Hal defended some comment in the day about Keith being a "sloppy drummer" Wish I knew if they had any real interaction. That would have been interesting. The Who are my favorite band and have been since I was a teenager. Just saw Roger Daltrey perform Tommy live last year. Great show.

Last edited by mgarblik; 03-13-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Monkeys link shows a clear Moon style in timing and choice by Hal. So no doubt Moon was inspired by Blaine.

To have Blaine drive sooo many #1 Hits acroos the genre plainly shows that DrUMMERS were considered the financial last teet, as Ginder .baker who organized Cream yet got the least $$$ compensation from the Hits.

Here's a PREMIER salute to the premier drummer Hal Blaine !! (watch the whole thing)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 03-13-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That video was crazy! I thought I was watching a deleted clip from the wedding singer , I dont think I ever saw Hal play but have heard most of his music, I assume this guy is copying his style. I did have the pleasure of seeing Buddy Rich in concert though, that guy was amazing in his own right.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The cool thing about the people in the wrecking crew was how they could play any type or style of music, for whoever showed up in the recording studio.