THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:04 AM

Default 2000 GP GTP Rebuild

Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 Grand Prix GTP Daytona edition that I've had for a few years. Last winter I got it stuck in a snowbank, and after rocking it out I blew the forward band. Manual 1 and 2 went shortly after on the way to park it. It's been sitting since then, on occasion I'll start the car to let it run for a bit but it hasn't moved in over a year.

I recently became interested in fixing it, and I've contacted a few shops about it. It can be rebuilt for between $2850(with a 40,000km, 2 year warranty), and $3300(with a 60,000km, 3 year warranty).

The engine has 227448km on it, and besides one of the supercharger belt tensioner pulleys squealing, and a P0440 evaporative emmisions code, it runs seemingly perfect Doesn't burn much oil, if any. Supercharger bearing has minimal play And it's never overheated.

From what I've found online is the transmission seems to be a weak link in an otherwise solid car.

So basically my question is, if I rebuild the transmission, should the engine last another few years? Or would I be better off burning the money?

Thank you!

Old 05-25-2019, 06:29 AM
Senior Chief

One of the most reliable motors mated to one of the most unreliable transmissions when subjected to even moderate power levels . If the motor doesn’t burn any oil and doesn’t run hot, it still has a lot of life left in it. If you do rebuild the transmission I recommend these guys.

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com...erformance.com

You’ll have to pull the transmission yourself and ship it which may not be an option. But stock type rebuilds on these transmissions don’t seem to last.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The above link doesn't work, I believe this would be the link you were trying to post:

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/

The shop is in Fort Wayne Indiana.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-25-2019, 10:45 AM

My son is into those cars and we have a few. We also have a used trans and plenty of parts for them if you need any. The trans is the weak link for sure, He rebuilt his using all heavy duty parts for it. He now has a 2006 GXP which the transmission is even worse the the 3800 gtp trans because of the torque it makes. Some of the heavy duty parts are quit expensive for that trans. if you go that route. You might also what to change your intake manifold gaskets as they are the weak link on a 3800 motor and when the go bad they pull water into your oil in turn ruining your engine.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:36 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel77 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 Grand Prix GTP Daytona edition that I've had for a few years. Last winter I got it stuck in a snowbank, and after rocking it out I blew the forward band. Manual 1 and 2 went shortly after on the way to park it. It's been sitting since then, on occasion I'll start the car to let it run for a bit but it hasn't moved in over a year.

I recently became interested in fixing it, and I've contacted a few shops about it. It can be rebuilt for between $2850(with a 40,000km, 2 year warranty), and $3300(with a 60,000km, 3 year warranty).

The engine has 227448km on it, and besides one of the supercharger belt tensioner pulleys squealing, and a P0440 evaporative emmisions code, it runs seemingly perfect Doesn't burn much oil, if any. Supercharger bearing has minimal play And it's never overheated.

From what I've found online is the transmission seems to be a weak link in an otherwise solid car.

So basically my question is, if I rebuild the transmission, should the engine last another few years? Or would I be better off burning the money?

Thank you!
I think Don Keefe has and has done one of these GP's. Perhaps he will chime in or you could PM him for advice. Also, it would help to know where you are located. Seeing km versus mi tells me that you are in Canada or some other country. Big difference in pricing and logistics that could effect your outcome.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Senior Chief

Before spending big money on a trans rebuild and maybe even more on an engine you may want to first take a look at the rocker panels hiding behind the GTP lower body cladding. If they’re rusted away it will take more big money to fix. Car may look solid but if it’s been a winter driver I’d be surprised if there’s much left. We are talking about a 19 year old car right? The rockers on my 97 two door rotted away a over a decade ago. Engine and trans still running great at 131,000 miles in Michigan.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was reading the previous comments and have a question. How weak are the trannies on the Grand Prix GXPs with the 5.3L V8s? I was thinking about picking up a new driver and one of the cars that caught my eye was a 2008 GP GXP with 95K miles.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:04 AM

Very weak almost every one you see for sale had some kind of trans work done to them. You can pick up some nice GXP's up that need some kind of trans work. You can have a very strong trans built to cure the problem. Also its is a special trans because of the starter location and they are hard to find. My sons car has close to 500 hp and its holds up well with the performance rebuild. Very hard car to work on.

Old 05-26-2019, 04:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 2009 Buick Allure Super with the 5.3 V8.

In 2009 Buick built 123 Buick Lacrosse Supers for US and only 16 Buick Allure Supers for Canada.
My car is one of the 16 and works great, fun car to drive. My car has about 105K miles and no trans issues yet.

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 05-27-2019, 12:23 AM

I think the Buick118301
trans is a little different then the Pontiac. The Buick uses the same trans as a Chevy. The different from those transmission and the Pontiac's is the Pontiac uses Tap shift and no other GM that had that as an option

Old 05-27-2019, 01:17 PM
PY VIP

I also have a 2000 GTP Daytona Pace Car and after I swapped in a much more powerful L67 with a cam, head work, headers, CAI, programming, etc., it last about six weeks before I broke the forward band.

I contact ZZ Performance and they built up a killer 4T65-E with 4340 input and pump shafts, heavy-duty bands and clutch packs, shift kit, 245 mm converter, single drive chain and 3.29 gears. That was in 2010 and it has been dead reliable with my 3800, which is putting out about 375 horsepower. It was rated at 500-600 hp, so I have a great deal of safety there.

I wouldn't recommend anyone other than ZZ Performance.

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Last edited by Don Keefe; 05-27-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:50 AM

I hear you Don, We buy some parts from them and we build our own units. Just today now my sons GXP started tapping from the engine so it's now down. We are not sure if its lifter or bearing. Thinking lifters which are new. Just to replace them you new to pull the motor out. New cars suck LOL. Its funny Bonnieville GXP has a great trans and a bad motor. The Grand Prix's has a good motor and a bad trans. You got to love new GM's.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:03 AM
PY VIP

Rocco, the 4T80-E used in the Bonneville GXP was never seriously considered for performance use when GM went front-drive sport compact racing in the late 1990s and early 2000s. The problems were that while the trans was stronger than the 4T65-E, it was too large to practically fit in the J-bodies and equally importantly, it used significantly more power to operate. Add to the weight penalty it represented, the larger transaxle was a non-starter.

The main problem with the 4T65-E was not so much the design but the materials used in its manufacture. As testing progressed, they replaced every part that broke with an upgraded replacement until they held together for an entire weekend of racing. Today, they are a reliable option and are used in high-horsepower LS conversions in Fieros and kit cars. Race versions can hold 1,500+ horsepower, so the durability is there.

My 4T65-E has been in service for four years without a hiccup (the car was off the road for five years) and still works exactly as it should. I wouldn't hesitate to use this combination with a high-boost turbo system, though I would definitely look for an axle upgrade. I am on my second set after the first ones were significantly twisted. They did not break, though.

www.ponchoperfection.com

Author:

Old 05-28-2019, 09:38 PM

I remember reading about your car in HP magazine when it broke on you. We also used all the heavy duty parts for my sons GXP. I remember I think the front input shaft was made from bilit and ran around $425 for that part alone.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:53 AM
PY VIP

Yes, the main shaft and pump shaft are made out of 4340. I would have upgraded to the 300M but they weren't in stock and Zoomer said that they had been using the 4340 shaft in 700-horse drag cars without issue. I am completely confident that my car would run a high 12 with some slicks. It's a really fun street car.

www.ponchoperfection.com

Author:

Old 05-29-2019, 12:01 PM
Senior Chief

All of the W cars,1997-03, were recalled because of the valve cover gaskets. They will be replaced for free. Recalls don't expire. If you have the newer black cover like the Series 3 , that is what they are replacing the older gray valve covers with. The 3800 was one of the best GM engines ever and was one of Ward's Automotive top 10 engines of all time. ZZ Performance is great to work with. Intake gaskets should be changed as the original are a plastic retaining rubber o rings and were notorious for failing. Coolant will leak on the top of the lower intake when they are bad. The engine is very easy to work on and there is some aftermarket support. Like others have said they are prone to rust in the northern states. That is why we no longer have our GTP. It was a great car. I really miss it.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:05 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
All of the W cars,1997-03, were recalled because of the valve cover gaskets. They will be replaced for free. Recalls don't expire. If you have the newer black cover like the Series 3 , that is what they are replacing the older gray valve covers with. The 3800 was one of the best GM engines ever and was one of Ward's Automotive top 10 engines of all time. ZZ Performance is great to work with. Intake gaskets should be changed as the original are a plastic retaining rubber o rings and were notorious for failing. Coolant will leak on the top of the lower intake when they are bad. The engine is very easy to work on and there is some aftermarket support. Like others have said they are prone to rust in the northern states. That is why we no longer have our GTP. It was a great car. I really miss it.
Sure! Aside from intake manifolds going bad, head gaskets going bad and bottom ends spinning bearings they were grrrrrreat!

Also, I doubt if that recall would still be in effect. Especially being that was the "old" GM.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:12 PM
Senior Chief

Recalls don't expire. They are monitored by NHTSA. GM has to keep trying to fix them, the government says so.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
Recalls don't expire. They are monitored by NHTSA. GM has to keep trying to fix them, the government says so.
Uh.... No - https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/h...-recalled.html

Quote:
While car recalls don't have an expiration date, they are only enforced for "reasonable periods," the agency says. Basically, a recall is over if a vehicle's manufacturer goes out of business, or if the parts needed to make the necessary repair are no longer being made.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:21 PM
Senior Chief

If you take your car to a dealer they will put the new valve cover on and do the recall procedure.