THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 7yo grandson that lives with us tested positive for strain B yesterday. He is off school until Thursday. Now my wife, whom has been taking care of him is getting it. I feel a bit crappy like its about to hit me as well. Taking over the counter precautions and doing something against my beliefs, We are hand sanitizing, and spraying Lysol and Lysol wipes on everything.
The dr. told my wife they had 50 cases over the weekend 30 tested positive.
It seems like this time of year for the past 3 or 4 I have gotten the flu. I have a good friend that is a retired dr. that keeps telling me to get the shot. I almost did this past fall but failed to do so again. The dr. yesterday told my wife it will reduce your chances by 40%!

Old 02-10-2020, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope everyone gets and stays well.

My wife been getting shots for 20 years. Never got any flu.
She survived double breast cancer last year.
Thank god they caught early. Real nasty type. Metastasized within 6 months between exams.
Lost her mother and two ants within 1 year after getting it.

Never had one myself. No flu in 20-30 years either.
But been battling something past 6 months. After blood tests, ultra sounds, etc, still haven't nailed it down.
Liver enzymes are high, but organs have tested good so far...
On last visit Doc said your getting a flu shot. No side affects.
Next visit/test is Thursday...

One guy I work with been sick over a month. Said colds only last him about 3 days till this time. He's 71.
Also another young guy at work hasn't had flu in years (no shots), but gets a cold bout every other month...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 02-10-2020, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I finally took the flu vaccine this past year. My wife is a nurse so she is required to get it every year. Last week, I had the GI part of the flu. I could barely keep crackersand broth down. IF this was a less severe form of the flu I would certainly hate to get a full blown case of it!! Thank God this happened before I start radiation therapy next month.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-10-2020, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope all of you affected recover quickly and the rest stay healthy.

My wife (RN/BSN) was an immunization coordinator at a university..learned a lot and sends me for vaccinations every year.

Lots of misinformation in this thread so I thought I'd point all to the CDC site that spells out the symptoms, differences between flu and colds, and the facts about vaccinations:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/keyfacts.htm

If you get symptoms, get to a doctor fast.. there's a short window (2-3 days) for treatment by flu anti-viral meds that may reduce symptoms but more importantly a test can verify flu and guide you to avoid pneumonia:

Check the flu activity in your state:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm#ILIActivityMap

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-10 085044.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	531567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-10 085710.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	531568  

Old 02-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Over 75,000 flu deaths in the US in 2018. This season there are reported up to 20,000 so far. Kinda puts the coronavirus into perspective.

I think that as with most people, you don't realize that as you get older your natural defenses become weaker. This is why the flu kills more elderly than any other age group. Just because you've never had the flu in the previous 60 years doesn't mean you never will. I haven't had the flu since childhood, but I still get my shot every year.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Last edited by OG68; 02-10-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like my corona virus with a side of Lyme disease

Old 02-10-2020, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In 1994 I almost died from the flu. My then girl friend took me to the ER. I was passing out in the car vomited on the way and when they brought me in I woke up to an IV in each arm and being hooked up to monitors they were beeping like mad. I was severely dehydrated. When I get sick now I force myself to really increase my liquid intake. It really helps. I am now just getting over a bad cold and missed 2 days of work. My manager was really pissed. What a jerk, I guess I should have went to work and got everybody else sick. I very rarely call out sick.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-10-2020, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Glad you are OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Last Wednesday I started getting sick and by Friday I was miserable, still miserable on Sunday so I went to the hospital and they gave me a flu test which came back negative. The doctor said I had the flu for sure but there was nothing she could do. I went home and curled and I was miserable all weekend and this week. Finally on Thursday I was getting even sicker so I went back and said look you gotta do something. Another flu test this time positive and a chest x Ray. When they came back they said the flu pneumonia and bronchitis they told me they cold admit me or give me two shots in the ass and about 6 prescriptions. I took the shots and went home. Thursday afternoon and night I was the sickest I had ever been in my life. I mean I made my peace with god cause I thought surely I wasn’t gonna wake up. Woke up the next morning and felt a little better but still sick. I took all my meds and went back to sleep. Woke up a 1 and was fine. I mean other than a slight cough nothing. No fever no nothing. I am still taking my meds like I’m supposed to so it doesn’t come back . I would love to know what was in those shots
Getting rest and keeping up on the liquids really helps!

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge