Pontiac - Race The next Level

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While no one wants to hurt an engine or talk about it. If you have problems and pop a lifter out of its bore or on a stock block brake the lifter bore, the restricter will still keep more of the oil going where it should and maybe help save some parts.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 03-17-2020, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm working on 3 engines right now and turning away work every week. Yeah I was using drills and tapping holes in middle school. The glue I have to try

Old 03-17-2020, 09:40 PM
Suspended

Here's another "old machinist " trick I was taught.
If you have a stuck oil gallery plug or bolt, heat it with a torch and hit it with wax... any kind of basic candle wax will work...
The wax liquefies and breaks up the crud...
It has worked better than any penetrating oil I have ever used.
Still waiting for troy's explanation of Brian's failures...

Old 03-17-2020, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
I'm working on 3 engines right now and turning away work every week. Yeah I was using drills and tapping holes in middle school. The glue I have to try
Tighten up, u have more work coming your way... it's hard to find honest and smart builders these days...
Not many out there that do it all like you do .

Old 03-17-2020, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
The Elmers Glue I was shown for stainless steel only. Brass I generally drill dry, steel I use cutting oil

Old 03-17-2020, 11:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
The Elmers Glue I was shown for stainless steel only. Brass I generally drill dry, steel I use cutting oil
Iron is also dry drilled... sure you already know that though...
That post is for any "Millwrights' listening

Old 03-17-2020, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
If you have a stuck oil gallery plug or bolt, heat it with a torch and hit it with wax... any kind of basic candle wax will work...
Pal, I am sort of a expert at getting stuck plugs and bolts out. You can heat it and do the wax thing. Or you can heat it and just hit it with water. Plug grows, then shrinks. Usually just spins right out.
I can take a 3" long 3/4" broken bolt, drill a 1/4" hole and cut the bolt out with a torch leaving 100% of the threads. Even cut out bolts in dead end holes.
Most guys will not take a torch to broken studs and bolts like I do. Not afraid of doing it to anything.
You mistake me for someone who about Brians failures. He ticked me off, I insinuated it. Not much more to it than that. It worked.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
Let the AZZ whippin commence
You know, I have not looked at that in CH since my last post there. So people are AZZ whippin in their own minds among-st themselves. Whatever it takes to get them out of here messing things up. The same 3 guys come in and throw $h!t around and add nothing of substance to the thread. As long as the moderators let them do it. they will.
I bought some parts from 2 members recently. And in talking with them on the phone both took the time to let me know how bad things have gotten here. They don't post because some of these guys will come at them.
It hurts PY to let them do it over and over. So people go to facebook where its not allowed.
They add nothing. Do not help anyone out. Push people away. Give them a vacation and maybe folks will come back.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
You know, I have not looked at that in CH since my last post there. So people are AZZ whippin in their own minds among-st themselves. Whatever it takes to get them out of here messing things up. The same 3 guys come in and throw $h!t around and add nothing of substance to the thread. As long as the moderators let them do it. they will.
I bought some parts from 2 members recently. And in talking with them on the phone both took the time to let me know how bad things have gotten here. They don't post because some of these guys will come at them.
It hurts PY to let them do it over and over. So people go to facebook where its not allowed.
They add nothing. Do not help anyone out. Push people away. Give them a vacation and maybe folks will come back.
But it is helpful to py to allow you to spread lies or false info? I have never seen you apologize or even correct yourself when it has been pointed out to you that you are wrong. I saw Langer ask you a question about something (think it was about you saying big digs run honda rod jounrals) and you never corrected the statement or acknowledged Langer questioning you. You just dont seem to care if what you post is accurate or not.
Not sure how that is helpful to py??

Old 03-18-2020, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
But it is helpful to py to allow you to spread lies or false info? I have never seen you apologize or even correct yourself when it has been pointed out to you that you are wrong. I saw Lange8r ask you a question about something (think it was about you saying big digs run honda rod jounrals) and you never corrected the statement or acknowledged Langer questioning you. You just dont seem to care if what you post is accurate or not.
Not sure how that is helpful to py??

EXACTLY!!! Ironically in that thread he posted he doesn't mind being corrected by the ECM... Just no one else.

Last edited by PAUL K; 03-18-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Pal, I am sort of a expert at getting stuck plugs and bolts out. You can heat it and do the wax thing.
SCHOOLED!!!

You ever try using several ratchet extensions and turning the pipe plug clock wise to bust it loose?

I have more that a dozen Holley Dominators, a bunch of 4150's, a bunch of Q-jets, a handful of Holley 3bbl. and some 4165's.

I started collecting carburetors when I was in High School. I even brought one in my book bag to rebuild on a day I had an "in school" suspension. I find it enjoyable to restore them. I ended up with a bunch of 650 4165's because I had guys combing swap meets looking for the 800 cfm. units. Every so often they'd accidentally buy a 650 for me. Never got mad, I appreciated them helping. The 800's were in demand and much harder to find because guys were finding power with them in a certain truck pulling class. I also had to make an oil pump gasket for an aluminum aftermarket block. The windage tray fit good on my brothers 464 but I had to shim the one on the aftermarket block build. It's pretty cool it has a Bryant crank, Carrillo rods and CP pistons. Shooting for 1100hp with my CNC Wide-ports. The other one is getting a pair of our hand ported Wide-ports. I went to finish a SBF stroker engine and realized I never got the custom nitrated cam. I called my cam guy and he said he thought he sent it. Later on he said he found it. It shipped out yesterday. It'll be a cool engine, it's original to a 69 four speed Mustang. I didn't get to order the cam and lifters because I was pricing pushrods for another fellow. Big difference in price between Trend and Manley. I'll order the lifters and timing chain today. I'll get them tomorrow with a Canton pan and pick-up for an IA 1 build. That one has a Moldex crank, Crower billets and Venolia pistons.... Should be a good time.

I'd also like to hear about Brian's engine failures.

Last edited by PAUL K; 03-18-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Lighten up Francis.
You must have done well in drama class.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 03-18-2020, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sort of off topic but something I found. I switched to restricted pushrods for one purpose to eliminate excess oil up top and having the vacuum pump draw out too much.
Before I switched I had the odd lifter tick on start up ..not often but now and then. After switching to restricted pushrods I've never had a tick..coincidence or the result of restricted pushrods?

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 03-18-2020, 12:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
EXACTLY!!! Ironically in that thread he posted he doesn't mind being corrected by the ECM... Just no one else.
If I remember correctly. Weren’t you made a member of the ECM? It was either Jack or Billy that made you one, when you were going to race Qtip.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracerx2813 View Post
If I remember correctly. Weren’t you made a member of the ECM? It was either Jack or Billy that made you one, when you were going to race Qtip.
LOL .... It expired the first of the year and I haven't received a replacement

Old 03-18-2020, 12:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
LOL .... It expired the first of the year and I haven't received a replacement
Lol. Trust me. You won’t have a problem getting renewed in the ECM.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
Sort of off topic but something I found. I switched to restricted pushrods for one purpose to eliminate excess oil up top and having the vacuum pump draw out too much.
Before I switched I had the odd lifter tick on start up ..not often but now and then. After switching to restricted pushrods I've never had a tick..coincidence or the result of restricted pushrods?
I'm not sure on that. I know you've posted that information before and I plan on testing it out down the road sometime.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I use WD40. Works great

Old 03-18-2020, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my short time as a moderator, I've found that just about every discussion in the Race section that lasts four pages or more turns into a chest pounding, finger pointing, name calling schoolyard fight. I can move this discussion to the Clubhouse if you guys want to continue arguing about who's manhood is bigger, otherwise please calm down.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everyone go home now. Mike Davis ruined it for everybody.