THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default SMS Auto Fabrics Covid Sale

I guess that SMS likes to have a lot work in the hopper. At 19% off, I'm considering ordering a headliner. They had the best sample of the unique "Tier" pattern used in Tempest Custom headliners.

https://mailchi.mp/6fdc6133da64/end-...7?e=903baacace

Old 03-26-2020, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If this is an indication that they are slow, maybe they will finish getting the material together that was ordered in December for a project here.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At least they have a sense of humor ... Covid-19 ... 19% Sale.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Just a comment, I also received the notice from SMS Auto Fabrics about the 19% off sale (COVID-19)... but even though I emailed them twice requesting confirmation of part availability, I never received a response.

I did a quick search for any reviews, and they (SMS) seem to have increasingly been unable to provide delivery of fully paid, supposedly "in-stock" items-especially in the last 6 months. Refer to the reviews below from the Better Business Bureau; my gut instinct is that this sale may be a last-ditch effort to obtain some additional funds in advance for items that may never get delivered if they declare bankruptcy.

https://www.bbb.org/us/or/canby/prof...298/complaints

Old 04-01-2020, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummond93 View Post
my gut instinct is that this sale may be a last-ditch effort to obtain some additional funds in advance for items that may never get delivered if they declare bankruptcy.
Nah - SMS has been known for slow delivery for years and years. It's nothing new, you just have to keep on them.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummond93 View Post
Just a comment, I also received the notice from SMS Auto Fabrics about the 19% off sale (COVID-19)... but even though I emailed them twice requesting confirmation of part availability, I never received a response.

I did a quick search for any reviews, and they (SMS) seem to have increasingly been unable to provide delivery of fully paid, supposedly "in-stock" items-especially in the last 6 months. Refer to the reviews below from the Better Business Bureau; my gut instinct is that this sale may be a last-ditch effort to obtain some additional funds in advance for items that may never get delivered if they declare bankruptcy.

https://www.bbb.org/us/or/canby/prof...298/complaints
Reading those complaints makes you wonder about the solvency of the company.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good Luck trying to get ahold of Anybody at that place, They have had my Panels for years.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Nah - SMS has been known for slow delivery for years and years. It's nothing new, you just have to keep on them.
Exactly! Here are some excerpts from the BBB complaints.

"I initially was told it could take up to 8 months for the work to be accomplished."
"I was told that it would take up to a year for shipment."
"Informed that it would take 8 to 12 months to complete."

Old 04-01-2020, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've always made it a point not to accept work that I could not complete in a timely manner. If you are that far behind, you limit the orders you take, and keep the customers that have paid you happy.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered material from them roughly 5 years ago to redo the driver seat in my Can Am and the wait time wasn't long at all, less than 2 weeks between ordering it and receiving the material in the mail.

If you want NOS material that is accurate, they're pretty much the only game in town, and I doubt they'll be going bankrupt any time soon. I get the impression they're a small mom & pop operation trying to fulfill a national demand, and they need to expand to be timely.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:47 AM
Senior Chief

Seven or eight years ago I ordered the Comfort Weave interior for my 71 GTO. I don’t remember any delays or problems.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder where they get their materials, I doubt they own a giant weaving or vinyl factory.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Just hold on a minute, I know I have some here somewhere"

Old 04-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
I ordered material from them roughly 5 years ago to redo the driver seat in my Can Am and the wait time wasn't long at all, less than 2 weeks between ordering it and receiving the material in the mail.

If you want NOS material that is accurate, they're pretty much the only game in town, and I doubt they'll be going bankrupt any time soon. I get the impression they're a small mom & pop operation trying to fulfill a national demand, and they need to expand to be timely.
Dont know the people and have no idea about their business, but I do know that one of the biggest suppliers in the Model A world (that was pretty much the go to guy) Lebarron Bonney went under last fall. IT CAN happen!

Old 04-03-2020, 03:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 421mike

If they say 1 year they actually mean 2. Ask me how I know.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:50 PM

When I heard about the 19% sale I went ahead and ordered door panels, seat covers and headliner for my 61 Ventura, placed the order on April 8, they said probably 5 to 6 months, the seat covers came in today , code 228, red,white and burgundy with embossing, very surprised and happy, door panels might be another story

Old 05-20-2020, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the post as I was not on their mailing list.

The sale got my attention and I looked at their website for headliner and vinyl top.

Their "Find Your Car's Fabrics" tool was not coded correctly. My LeMans interior is green, 246 code. Their tool shows 256 which is correct for a "Sport" that shared interiors with GTO but not for a base LeMans. Their tool does not recognize the distinction. I'm sure they know all this and I could call and get the "right" stuff (probably the same headliner and vinyl top material for all variants) but I was kind of disappointed by the lack of online accuracy.

How would their prices on headliner and top compare with Legendary or other suppliers?

Old 05-21-2020, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Thanks for the post as I was not on their mailing list.

How would their prices on headliner and top compare with Legendary or other suppliers?
They quoted me $300 for a headliner for 69 GTO. It would have been ~$240 with the sale.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
They quoted me $300 for a headliner for 69 GTO. It would have been ~$240 with the sale.
Thank you.

AMES lists a headliner for a LOT less. SMS may be "correct" and/or "exact" but probably not justified for a beater.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just received an email from them:

"The positive response to this sale was beyond anything we ever imagined." I'll bet that they are now swamped and that lead times will be long.