THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone a POCI member? I need a favor

The last couple days I've received multiple emails from the POCI forums stating that someone tried to send me a private message but my in box is full. However, I'm not a POCI member. I had been a member for many years, but at some point they never sent me a renewal notice and my membership ran out. I then got sick, and never got around to renewing.

So, I'm wondering if I somehow still have an active account over there, or if they got hijacked and these are spam posts, or what. If you're a POCI member and are active on the board over there, could you check to see if Dennislef, Michaelfek, or Rubenfus are iegitimate posters, and if so ask them what they want?

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2020, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Call Paul Bergstrom at the POCI office.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good point, I didn't think of contacting Paul...I sent him an email.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:09 PM
Senior Chief

Those names you listed look like user names. I'm a POCI member and the member search only uses real names. I typed in my name and it showed me as a member and my city but nothing else. A bunch of unknown e-mails in a short period of time sounds like a hacker/scam. Hopefully Paul will have some answers. Let us know what he says.......

Old 03-25-2020, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-3Deuces View Post
Those names you listed look like user names. I'm a POCI member and the member search only uses real names. I typed in my name and it showed me as a member and my city but nothing else.
Was that just looking at the member list, or did you search in the forums? It's been a while, but as I recall the forum software used there is kind of funky compared to here.

edit: Just got another one of these messages from Michaelfek. Weird.

Last edited by Stuart; 03-25-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Was that just looking at the member list, or did you search in the forums? It's been a while, but as I recall the forum software used there is kind of funky compared to here.

edit: Just got another one of these messages from Michaelfek. Weird.
Didn't think about the forum as I don't really use the site that much. Anyway, I did check and some use real names and some user type names. Did a search for the three names you listed and didn't find any. What makes me think that this is some type of hack/scam is that all three have real real names followed by three random letters. Too much similarity among the format of the names.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Im a member but honestly havent been on the site for quite awhile. In fact I may need to pay my dues as I dont think I have gotten a smoke signals in awhile. But, that sounds to me like some sort of scam. If you havent been an active member for some time what could these people possibly need from you? Also, a couple at the same time? If they do know who you are and are Pontiac people then they may throw out a random search on a forum such as this as well to get in touch. I delete anything that looks somewhat suspicious to me. I was getting emails from fed ex saying that my package was ready for delivery and to click on the link to see the details. I didn't even order anything!! Into the trash.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul Bergstrom is going to check into it for me, I'll post a reply here if he figures it out.

I got another five messages today from people with similar weird names, so it sure seems like there's some malware going on over there. The links in each message do go back to the POCI forums, but I'm still not going to click on them.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Paul Bergstrom is going to check into it for me, I'll post a reply here if he figures it out.

The links in each message do go back to the POCI forums, but I'm still not going to click on them.
Good move. Even though the links look legit hackers put in hidden code that redirects usually to a malware site or malicious domain.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another bogus email I get every once in awhile is from my cable/internet provider. They are a small local company. When the email comes through it has their logo on it and looks very legit. I checked with them in person and they said it was def a scam that they dont send out emails. SO, yes it can look like its coming from a legit source, even more the reason to suck in some unsuspecting person.