THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Computers ?

My computer posted for me to update windows 10. It is taking a loooong time.
Is this legit?

Old 03-25-2020, 03:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The friend we vacay with waited until the W7 cutoff date. We were out of country at that time. Our internet service was spotty at the time, but was functioning throughout the upgrade. It took several hours. More than once he mentioned his concern about the time duration. Turned out just fine, as far as I know.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 03-25-2020, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is yours an update for 10 or an upgrade from 7 to 10? Sometimes updates take a while.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My WIN 7 is still working, hey I just recently changed over from XP.

Back in the day I would assemble my own, then taught my sons and they assemble their own.

Nowadays, i just want it to work, I don't upgrade until i need to.

George

Old 03-25-2020, 08:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
My WIN 7 is still working, hey I just recently changed over from XP.

Back in the day I would assemble my own, then taught my sons and they assemble their own.

Nowadays, i just want it to work, I don't upgrade until i need to.

George
Same here. My XP machine quit last year. Happy with my Win7 and no plans to upgrade.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 03-25-2020, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Windows 10 takes forever to update.

Windows 10 can pound sand.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 03-26-2020, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So it's been about 35 years now......Microsoft still has a difficult time with operating systems....Windows ME, Vista, Win 8. I would think by now they would have a decent recipe.

To me the most annoying thing is when they come out with a new flavor is they move the usual selections around and hide them elsewhere. I was helping out my brother install some new software on a WIN 10 machine. I'm not familiar with WIN 10, but just "normal" stuff that I've gotten used to like where the hell is the "new folder" selection that used to be in windows explorer????????? Had to look around for it...pain in the a$$ wasting time.....Just fix the issues, add some new stuff....STOP CHANGING THE PRESENTATIONS!!!!!!!!! hate the pastel Fisher Price presentations!

george

Old 03-26-2020, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Windows 7 is no longer supported and there will be no more updates for it.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Put WIN 10 on all three of my machines, including a 12 year old laptop. Works nice. No nicer than WIN 7, but I was starting to run into software that no longer support WIN 7. Still have a micro-portable (netbook) run XP though. XP was an excellent piece of work last of the MS OS's that wasn't totally stuffed with bloatware.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yep, I understand it's no longer supported, And I say so what. I'll go to Win 10 if and when i need to.

George

Old 03-26-2020, 07:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Its all about the learning curve. Anyone remember the first Windows, 1.0. Mine came on 5.25 floppy's which had to be loaded in using DOS commands. BTW, you can still use DOS commands to navigate your computer. Then came the computers that automatically loaded up Windows. I believe that was Win 95, then 98, NT, XP, etc. I found the transitions up to XP to be reasonable. I was really happy with XP. Vista and 8 were so short lived that I went to Win 7. I found that learning curve to be a bit more challenging; maybe because I was starting to get a bit older. Now that Win 10 is thrust upon us I find the learning curve a bit more arduous. The big change I've noticed is that there are no longer (executable) programs, but Apps (still a .exe file). Same as you find on cell phones and tablets. Obviously the change is meant to appeal to the millennials. IMO, the changes up to XP were beneficial. Not so much beyond that.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm still using XP , on about a 12 year old laptop.
It wouldn't even take a Windows 7 upgrade.

Wish me well - i'm in it until the very end [of XP]

Old 03-26-2020, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking I'm the Prince of the Luddites....

I am very happy with my Windows 7 at my office for general emails etc. Works for me. I'm typing on it now....

My business accountancy is all run on an XP machine but I only upgraded to the XP about 5 years ago. Before that I was using Windows 95 which I found was just perfect.

The 95 machine was so stable, so easy to use. Its still sitting outside on a shelf and would work if I powered it up. The ONLY reason I took it out of service was because the tractor feed on the invoicing printer simply wore out. Could not get another printer which would run on the 95 machine.

Of course I do have an automatic back up running at all times which I could use if one of our old machines fails. But I doubt they will.

Buying new computers is just like how everyone has to have the latest and greatest cell phone. A new phone comes out, the old ones are considered junk and get tossed out. Got to update, got to update. All my phones and computers etc are all secondhand from people I know. And it hardly costs me anything..

Old 03-26-2020, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty much millions of manufacturing control systems with hardwired controls still use XP ... if I am not mistaken for those applications MS still supports it through the machine vendors that sold the equipment. When the graphic user interfaces came out for automated machinery like CNC, most of them were running XP, even if they ran dedicated CNC software over the top. Still a lot of that stuff out there running. Specially in the third world ... millions of machines still using it.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK ,Thanks all.
yes, it was an upgrade for Win 10

Old 03-27-2020, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooski View Post
Its all about the learning curve. Anyone remember the first Windows, 1.0. Mine came on 5.25 floppy's which had to be loaded in using DOS commands. BTW, you can still use DOS commands to navigate your computer. Then came the computers that automatically loaded up Windows. I believe that was Win 95, then 98, NT, XP, etc. I found the transitions up to XP to be reasonable. I was really happy with XP. Vista and 8 were so short lived that I went to Win 7. I found that learning curve to be a bit more challenging; maybe because I was starting to get a bit older. Now that Win 10 is thrust upon us I find the learning curve a bit more arduous. The big change I've noticed is that there are no longer (executable) programs, but Apps (still a .exe file). Same as you find on cell phones and tablets. Obviously the change is meant to appeal to the millennials. IMO, the changes up to XP were beneficial. Not so much beyond that.
You do know that Windows 10 can be set up to look like 7 with the icons instead of the apps?

Old 03-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The company i work at uses a PC to control our testers. They converted to WIN7 around 2009 or so; The OS has to be thouroughly tested in our applications before we implement it. We passed over Vista and are still shipping WIN7 but already starting to convert to WIN10 due to o more support for WIN7.

Our equipment tends to have a long lifetime at customers, some are still running XP in their applications, they will not change unless absolutely mandatory.

george

Old 03-27-2020, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don't hear anyone talking about windows 8.1?? I run it on my laptop and can't stand it; had to install a shell to make it emulate Windows 7. I think MS would like to make 8 go away quietly!
Run windows 10 on my desktop and it has had zero issues over the last few years.

68 GTO
Old 03-28-2020, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Win 10 runs very invasive "aps" vs programs. It is a huge info and data tracking machine. There are like 13 things that need to be shut off, and a shell program installed to make it safe and user friendly for win 7 users.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
You do know that Windows 10 can be set up to look like 7 with the icons instead of the apps?
Makes sense, but did not learn that as the computer shop said it still works basically the same as 7 (which it does). Back when I went to Win 7, and 8 and Vista were still available I learned that they could be made to look like XP.