THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Say it ain't so Oregon!

Apparently due to the outbreak, OR has begun allowing people to pump their own gas!
Will there be any training required? Maybe Beavers can teach the Ducks
Seems crazy that this arcane law still exists...Thinking they are the only state in the country?

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 03-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the oil, clean windows and could you please check the right rear tire. I think it is low.

Hey, you have any Salem cigarettes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	325BC122-CF5A-4181-96A0-AA29C63222AD.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	535691  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

New Jersey still requires an attendant to pump your gas.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:57 PM

From Pa. and have never heard of such a thing.
Are people that helpless and dont know how to pump gas?
Learn something new everyday.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pure madness! And of course I’m going to miss out on it due to the swap being cancelled!

Old 03-29-2020, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr1022 View Post
From Pa. and have never heard of such a thing.
Are people that helpless and dont know how to pump gas?
Learn something new everyday.
I'm also from PA, formerly from Erie to be exact. We also had a law in 1980 ish on the books that did not permit self serve gasoline dispensers operated by unauthorized personnel.

The idea was two fold, the service station owners and lessees didn't want their operations to be turned into self service locations, plus the fire marshal thought that dispensing fuel was too dangerous to entrust it to mere citizens (like any gas station employee got any special training on how to dispense gasoline, and the possible fire hazards).................LOL

At the time I had been working off and on in service stations for 10 years, and beginning in 1977, until 1982 I was a lessee of a Pennzoil service station that can be seen in the last of my signature pictures. Shortly after I left that station, that law was rescinded.

I'm guessing that Oregon has some archaic law from the era where most oil companies were pushing to convert over to self service. But the safety aspect was being pushed by station owners to keep the more profitable full serve operations.

For many years stations with at least 2 islands would offer full service for about 15 cents more a gallon, and for those that wanted their gas with no frills, a self serve island. Being a former proprietor of a service station the extra 15 cents a gallon is much more appealing, than a nickel, or less, margin on self serve. Little to no profit on gas sales is what drives convenience stores to sell as much merchandise as they can cram into their stores, the gas is just a draw to get people into the store where they buy other things, that there is a profit margin on.

Back in the day before convenience stores, the service station draw was TBA, (tires batteries and accessories) repairs, road service and towing, so the proprietor could make a living. No service station proprietor could live on just fuel sales.

The thing I don't understand is hygienically, it's much better for only a few to be accessing the pump handles than each and every person that comes in to touch the pumps.................

I'm at a loss of how allowing self service is better to stem the spread of the Kung Flu????????

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-29-2020, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The law in Oregon was enacted to create jobs when the lumber industry took a dive up there... At least that's what I heard

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 03-29-2020, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
The law in Oregon was enacted to create jobs when the lumber industry took a dive up there... At least that's what I heard
I believe it! Got chewed out by a “pump jockey” for pumping my own the first time I was in Oregon.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-29-2020, 08:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post

Yes it has nothing to do with safety - it’s nothing more than a state mandated job program. Driving through Portland from time to time it seems like they need to build a lot more gas stations, as they have tons of unemployed labor camping idly on any patch of spare land.

I nearly missed a flight out of Eugene years ago as the gas station I went to before hitting the airport was swamped and only one dude running around pumping gas. Instead of taking 3-4 minutes to do myself, 15 min later I was on my way.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK girls, here's the straight up on this. Oregon is a LIBERAL state and you have to pass laws that that population can understand. Got it now? And while we're on the subject, how about practicing social distancing on the freeway, STAY 6' off my a$$ at 60 MPH?...................more PBR

Old 03-29-2020, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Didn’t that law get changed last November?

Old 03-29-2020, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now unemployed;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thejerk.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	535732  

TOM
The Following User Says Thank You to salem1912 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Per my sister in Salem it was, depending which you like to hear,
1. Your credit card wasn't being handled by someone who just coughed into his hand
2. The attendants didn't want to be face to face with customers.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 03-29-2020, 09:12 PM
Suspended

If you ever travel in the New Jersey, only attendants are allowed to pump gas.

It is a state law: "New Jersey is the only state where you can't pump your own gas. ... The actual law that makes it illegal to pump your own gas in NJ is called the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act and Regulations and it became law in 1949."

Old 03-29-2020, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
Now unemployed;
This GUY, "these cans are Defective!!!"
must have had years ago, a bunch of Dimwit relatives in the Oregon State Legislature!

Old 03-29-2020, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a lot of running around to do right now, but for the last 20 days, E10 junk gas around my parts has been selling for under a $1.25 a gallon.

Personally, I prefer a STRONG Oil Patch. $60- $70 a barrel WTI Crude over $25 a barrel Crude... Like Eddie Chiles used to say " If you don't have an oil well, get one*– you'll love doing business with Western!"

Old 03-30-2020, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
If you ever travel in the New Jersey, only attendants are allowed to pump gas.

It is a state law: "New Jersey is the only state where you can't pump your own gas. ... The actual law that makes it illegal to pump your own gas in NJ is called the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act and Regulations and it became law in 1949."
The last time I was in New Jersey, they still had manned toll collection booths. Same reason, I was told - “the jobs.”

Old 03-30-2020, 10:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Still toll collectors but EZ pass also. PA phasing out toll collectors on the turnpike, in fact there are none during the virus. They take your license plate pic and send a bill.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:24 AM
Senior Chief

The Libs are differently are the only one SMART enough to use the pumps or take the tolls

Old 04-01-2020, 12:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Not a lot of running around to do right now, but for the last 20 days, E10 junk gas around my parts has been selling for under a $1.25 a gallon.

Personally, I prefer a STRONG Oil Patch. $60- $70 a barrel WTI Crude over $25 a barrel Crude... Like Eddie Chiles used to say " If you don't have an oil well, get one*– you'll love doing business with Western!"
https://www.texasstandard.org/storie...die-wf-strong/

"I'm mad too, Eddie!"