THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis, I'm in shock too. As the links states Mac had many hours flying 9O9. He did what he could but just could save it and it cost him and others their lives. I first me him in 2004 up in Massena, NY. The Chamber of Commerce set up them coming in for a weekend and I volunteered to help them out. I have to admit I sucked up big time by providing the crews with a 20x30 canopy to set up under, and get everything they needed for that weekend. It was 3 days of fun, laughs, and just a great time. In the end their ride manager Jim... you know who I mean... said come on you're going for a ride..... and what a ride it was. The following year they were back, I did the same setup and got a ride in Witchcraft. When we moved to Delaware, a friend and I got into being the local Tour Coordinators for Collings. My next ride gave me a hat trick... a ride in Betty Jane, their TP-51C from Lancaster, PA to KILG in New Castle. I even got to fly her from the rear seat for a bit. What a ride that was.

So if you get lucky enough to hook up with someone or some group to volunteer with, you could get free rides as we do. All of my volunteers get a ride if there is a space for them in the bomber of their choice.

Down here at KILG I even got to sneak in my GTO early one morning for photos of it next to all 3 of their aircraft.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think 909 was flying around Peoria earlier this year. I stopped what I was doing and watched it for as long as I could. Awe inspiring just to see one fly over. Always been a dream of mine to help restore one to flight worthy status.

My condolences to the families and friends of those that we injured or lost.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455HOGT37 View Post
There is some speculation that it was misfueled with Jet A. That's an all too common occurrence these days and will certainly bring a piston engined airplane down.

Condolences and prayers.
A misfueling would be evident nearly immediately. ANY amount of Jet-A introduced into Avgas lowers the octane of Avgas dramatically. I’ve seen the inside of engines that have had trace amount of Jet-A introduced; they’re junk due to severe detonation. If all the engines were on the same cross feed, it would have affected all the engines not just one.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-04-2019, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Check here..... https://www.wfsb.com/news/names-of-v...02ec67428.html. Pictures and news.

I lost a good friend on that flight.... Ernest McCauley. Mac as he was know to us all, was the pilot on 9O9. I've know him since 2004 when I helped with the tour stop up in Massena, NY. I'm a tour stop coordinator here at KILG for the Collings Foundation. They've been here several times in Delaware since I moved here and started getting them to stop here. I've ridden in 9O9 more times than I can remember. No matter what has been said, these WWII planes are very well taken care of. Problems do happen, but this had to be catastrophic for this to happen. Would I ride in a WWII bomber again.. you bet yer a** I would. And that goes for their B-24 Witchcraft and their P-51 Toulous Nuts.

Edit:
I'd like to give my condolences to the families that lost loved ones, and a speedy recovery to those injured. This is something that doesn't normally happen. No matter what's been said on WWII bomber crashes, the Collings Foundation is topnotch for their maintenance on all of their WWII aircraft. As are any WWII aircraft flying. The support of all who buy rides and donate help keep these WWII aircraft in the air so we can see a part of history that kept us and the world free.
Gary, my condolence and well said. Those of us who have maintained vintage aircraft take our jobs very seriously. The Collings Foundation is no different. Their yearly maintenance program is probably one of the best, if not the best in the country. The media WILL come up with all kinds of BS, but we “wrench benders” KNOW the truth: aircraft sometimes crash for inexplicable reasons, period.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-04-2019, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These aircraft, and the people who maintain and fly them are a rare breed;
This is a tragic loss on many levels.
My condolances to anyone reading this who was affected by the loss.

I would chance a guess that these planes, when in flying condition are maintained better that your average aircraft, and I would jump at the opportunity to fly in one... assuming I could afford it.

I remember years ago being in absolute awe as a Heinkel HE-111 flew overhead (they have a VERY distinct shape/silhouette);
I learned that a short while later it crashed;
As far as I know, that HE-111 was the last flying example of it's type.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-04-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Dennis, I'm in shock too. As the links states Mac had many hours flying 9O9. He did what he could but just could save it and it cost him and others their lives. I first me him in 2004 up in Massena, NY. The Chamber of Commerce set up them coming in for a weekend and I volunteered to help them out. I have to admit I sucked up big time by providing the crews with a 20x30 canopy to set up under, and get everything they needed for that weekend. It was 3 days of fun, laughs, and just a great time. In the end their ride manager Jim... you know who I mean... said come on you're going for a ride..... and what a ride it was. The following year they were back, I did the same setup and got a ride in Witchcraft. When we moved to Delaware, a friend and I got into being the local Tour Coordinators for Collings. My next ride gave me a hat trick... a ride in Betty Jane, their TP-51C from Lancaster, PA to KILG in New Castle. I even got to fly her from the rear seat for a bit. What a ride that was.

So if you get lucky enough to hook up with someone or some group to volunteer with, you could get free rides as we do. All of my volunteers get a ride if there is a space for them in the bomber of their choice.

Down here at KILG I even got to sneak in my GTO early one morning for photos of it next to all 3 of their aircraft.
That is my desire, to help out at couple of air show and perhaps get a free ride. My oldest son Jeremy's hobby is aerial photography, and he was the official photographer for the KC air show this year. He won a national photo contest about 10 years ago and first prize was a free pilots license, compliments of Breitling. After he got his license he got to fly with the Breitling Stunt teams lead pilot, and he even got to do a few stunts from the rear seat. At the KC air show he was able to go up and fly with the Golden Knights parachute team and got some great pictures. He was really pushing to get to ride with the Blue Angels, but they do not give too many rides. Here is a neat pic took at the air show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	521446  

Old 10-04-2019, 10:32 AM
Senior Chief

I was able to fly in "Aluminum Overcast" probably 8-10 years ago. What a thrill! A neighbor of mine was a radio operator on a B-17 over Europe during WWII. Seeing what those brave men went through was very sobering. I have a picture of me standing at the side gunners position during flight.
A few years before that there was a B-17 in town that damaged it's landing gear and had to be repaired here. It took weeks to get the parts and I forgot that the plane was still here. One morning I just happened to be working close to the airport and heard a rumbling that kept getting louder and louder. then over the trees this beautiful bird appeared. They must have done a dozen takeoffs and landings that morning to make sure things were "right". At that time I wondered what it must be like to actually ride in one.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 10-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
A misfueling would be evident nearly immediately. ANY amount of Jet-A introduced into Avgas lowers the octane of Avgas dramatically. I’ve seen the inside of engines that have had trace amount of Jet-A introduced; they’re junk due to severe detonation. If all the engines were on the same cross feed, it would have affected all the engines not just one.
Depends on the ratio of misfueling, but this event was nearly "immediately". And it is reported that #3 AND #4 engines were failed/on fire. That said the NTSB has sampled the fuel from the right wing and it's consistent with the proper 100LL.

However, it's a 4 engine combat aircraft operating MUCH lighter than it's designed weight so a single engine failure shouldn't be a major issue at face value. Its reasonable to look at a system wide failure mode (like bad fuel) to explain this crash.

Fortunately, the FE/CC survived so that should provide answers. I'll bet there were more than a few GoPro cameras on board too.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

News last night (ABC) said that one of the guys flying (I think) texted his wife that they had turbulence. Last thing she received.

I think they also showed the engine slammed against a building

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They flew over my property a few times last weekend. Relatively low too, cool to watch. RIP

Old 10-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"However, it's a 4 engine combat aircraft operating MUCH lighter than it's designed weight so a single engine failure shouldn't be a major issue at face value. Its reasonable to look at a system wide failure mode (like bad fuel) to explain this crash. "

This was my thought as well, maybe that thing could have flown on 2 engines? I expect one or more were Studebaker built.
And lastly, if I am lucky enough to retire in the next 6-8 years, I can see spending a couple months each Winter volunteering at a warm weather Warbird museum.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 10-04-2019, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for the loss of life and condolences to the families. It's unfortunate about the loss of another WWII plane. I was just in Normandy and visited Omaha and Juno beaches and the American and Canadian cemeteries. The whole experience was very sobering, thinking of what all of those young men went through.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got ahold of the Collings Foundation this afternoon. I didn't ask or try to get any info on what is happening now. But I was told that all Tour Stops have been cancelled for the rest of the year. I was told everyone up there is in utter shock... as are all of us Tour Coordinators, and those associated with the Tour Stops. My guys are dumbfounded beyond belief.

I'm trying to get a donation fund going for Mac. He loved dogs and disappeared at any Tour Stop that had a dog shelter nearby. He walk as many dogs as he could in about 3 hours time each day. He couldn't have a dog of his own because of flying for the Foundation. So... I'm trying to raise money for a stone dog memorial to lay at his grave site to honor what he did for all of the dogs he walked. Like the one in England where the Vet's dog used to lay at his grave until it died and was then buried next to him. They then placed a stone dog memorial there just as his real dog did guarding his master. One of the guys in the main office up in Mass thought it was a great idea. Someone will get in touch with me when things quiet down a bit. Hopefully this can be done. If it does, all money donated will be done thru their off in up in Massachusetts. I'm crossing my fingers.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 10-04-2019, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad attended Auburn University and enlisted in the Army Air Corp. While he never saw active duty, he worked his way through the ranks and became a Flight Officer stationed at Maxwell Field AL, which was initially a B-24 flight training center and transition to the B-29 later in the WWII. He was the flight engineer on B-29 training flights.

We attended a local air show years ago which featured a B-17. He pointed to it as it flew overhead and said "That's the plane that won the war. The B-29 just happened to be the plane that ended it."

My heart goes out to all those affected by the 909 tragedy.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn shame
was just a few years ago that I got to see "909" out at Sundance.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Senior Chief

I rode up and saw the Memphis Bell in August . Just beautiful . A B25 made some passes over the neighbor hood back in 15 . The sound of those radials is exhilarating . I think I’d take the chance and hope to ride in a 17 or 29 .

Old 10-06-2019, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for the loss of your friend Gary. Such a terrible loss. Keep us post on fund me.
Dave

Old 10-08-2019, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will do Dave. Hopefully I'll hear back from the main office soon. If not soon I do know they will be in touch. Any monies they receive I'm sure will be used for those lost on the flight and to help those injured. When I hear something I'll let everyone know.

As I said before these WWII aircraft are maintained to the nth degree. Even better than everyday aircraft flying.... to the same degree as airliners. I don't believe there was bad fuel involved. Any 100LL sold at any airport is of the highest quality and is checked daily. Besides, it's sold rather quickly and doesn't sit in the tanks for very long. What happened had to be catastrophic. As in one malfunction causing other systems to fail. But then again it's only a guess on my part. I wasn't there and have heard nothing from the Foundation. The NTSB will find the cause and causes in time. But seeing that the airframe was completely destroyed that could take a long time. There has been nothing said on the cause of crash here at KILG in August that killed another friend of mine. The "Why's" of the crashes won't happen over night.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 10-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A bit of more info. The Collings Foundation was to take 9O9 off the tour for a total go-thru for maintenance and repaint. They've been working on another B-17 to fill in while the work was done. My thought now is the 2nd B-17 could be the replacement for 9O9. Only time will tell as to what actually will happen.

Tho 75 years old, give or take, these B-17s are far more than well taken care of. It's as tho they just came out of the factory. That's how well they've been restored and taken care of, or they wouldn't be in the air today. I'd ride in one tomorrow if it was here.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 10-09-2019, 12:01 PM

I don't know if there's enough left to figure out the exact cause, but I sure hope they can. So sorry about the loss of life and the loss of history. I flew on the Liberty Belle in 08 with my dad who was a C46 pilot in WW2. It was lost in a crash a few years later in a field in IL but I don't believe there was any serious injuries. I took my family on the Aluminum Overcast last year, and they were thrilled! I believe the historic experience is well worth the small risk on these planes. To fly on these and just sit there and think that it was 18-22 year olds that were operating these back in the day is really a surreal experience.

John