Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-05-2020, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default AMP gauge

My amp gauge stopped working. It looks to have moisture behind the glass. What could have caused this??
Is it repairable??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	533899  

Old 03-05-2020, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why do my pictures turn sideways??

Old 03-06-2020, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Amp gauges are wired in series with a main hot wire so even though it stopped working it's still passing power to the whole car's electrical system but for the starter circuit.

My guess is that the moisture in the gauge has corroded the meter movement and its hanging up the pointer from moving.

There are folks who can rebuild it for you.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that moisture or smoke stains?

If you run more amps through it, than the gauge can handle, it will smoke/melt the windings and quit working.

Clay

Old 03-06-2020, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
Is that moisture or smoke stains?

If you run more amps through it, than the gauge can handle, it will smoke/melt the windings and quit working.

Clay
What would cause more amps than it can handle? I have not done anything to change that, that i am aware of.
Thanks guys, Dave

Old 03-06-2020, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably not water if it has a permanent haze. Water would clear up (condensation and evaporation are reversible). If water got in, it can get out.

More likely a material with a low vapor pressure (plastic, lubricant) that condensed or smoke particles that wanted to stick to the glass. If this is the cause for the haze it suggests something inside got pretty hot but I'm clearly speculating.

It does seem weird for it to not work but still pass current. I don't know anything about the design though.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Amp gauges are wired in series with a main hot wire so even though it stopped working it's still passing power to the whole car's electrical system but for the starter circuit.

This^. Most guys I know use a voltmeter instead of an ammeter since only a small wire with small amounts of electicity go through it. Voltmeters are considered to be safer than an ammeter. Yours is an underdash unit so easy to replace.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to 1968GTO421 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cars with factory amp guages had a shunt between alt output and B+. The shunt was a resistance wire that made partial amp flow actually go through the amp guage. The guage was calibrated to show full + or - charge while only reading a small portion.

The magnet wire windings in the aftermarket guage are tiny compared to the cars bat and charge wires. The more amps the guage reads the hotter the coil gets. If the coil shorts out from varnish burning off the magnet wire, you still have amp flow but the coil wont generate enough magnetic field to move the needle.

This guage may have resistors in it also. They can give up/fail the same as varnish coating on magnet wire. Neither can heat up, too hot, but so many times.

Too many amps is more than what the guts in the guage can handle. What the guage can handle has probably been reduced by old age, time, heat, etc..

It just happens
Clay

Old 03-06-2020, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^^^^ this

There is a shunt in the harness so only a portion of the total current goes thru the gauge. Aftermarket ammeter kits usually run the full current thru the gauge..avoid those, use a voltmeter if ever considering an aftermarket ammeter.

George

Old 03-07-2020, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
^^^^^^ this

There is a shunt in the harness so only a portion of the total current goes thru the gauge. Aftermarket ammeter kits usually run the full current thru the gauge..avoid those, use a voltmeter if ever considering an aftermarket ammeter.

George
I know NOTHING about electrical components. If I went with a volt meter instead of an amp meter, would I use the same wire that is on my amp meter??

Old 03-07-2020, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A voltmeter is connected from a circuit that is ON when the key is ON and the second wire to a good metal dash connection. The wires on your existing ammeter may be live even when the key is off so those are not suitable for a voltmeter, as the voltmeter may drain the battery slowly with key using that circuit.

There may be a terminal on your fuse box that is live when the key is on, such as ACC (accessory).

George

Old 03-07-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=george kujanski;6117683]A voltmeter is connected from a circuit that is ON when the key is ON and the second wire to a good metal dash connection. The wires on your existing ammeter may be live even when the key is off so those are not suitable for a voltmeter, as the voltmeter may drain the battery slowly with key using that circuit.

There may be a terminal on your fuse box that is live when the key is on, such as ACC (accessory).

George[/QUOTE

Got it! , Thanks George