THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 02:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wife and I have tickets to Paris April 21, then on to Italy a week later. Assuming the planes are still flying, we'll be going. Pretty sure they don't let germs into 1st class without paying.

Of course we are keeping an eye on our options ... it's almost funny watching the Airlines contort themselves trying to screw as many people out of as much money as they possibly can, for as long as they can. They know it means millions of dollars a day the more people they can prevent from getting a refund.

We booked in early Feb., you'd think they would just say .. "Hey, it's a total sh*t show, here's your money back" ... nope, not going to be nearly that simple.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 02:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The all-make club I belong to has lost our meeting room for the next couple of months at the assisted living home where we meet until things are sorted out. The management was rightfully concerned that one of us might bring in the bug from outside. and the median age is something like 87 there. Going to miss the snacks they always set out for us.

Show attendees and racers were notified by email at 8:00 AM today that the Mooneyes event scheduled for this weekend at the Auto Club Speedway has been indefinitely postponed. From our weather report it would probably have been rained out anyway.

I don't think there's a roll of toilet paper still for sale anywhere in Southern California. Why TP? What are these goofy people thinking? Oh, and bottled water is gone off the shelves also... the virus going to cause mass rupturing of water lines or something? Strange priorities for sure.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:44 AM
Senior Chief

I'm trying to manage as best I can....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200312_200223.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	534349  

Old 03-13-2020, 04:52 AM

here in Austria public live is almost already shut down! No indoor events with 100 or more, outdoor over 500 all canceled till Easter.

all universities closed, schools will do with Monday, Kindergarten on Wednesday.
Train and flight connections almost all stopped, borders to neighbor countries closed either by Austrian government or by the neighbor state as the are also highly effected.

No visits to hospitals or retirement home.

And today the government will announce that all shops have to close as well except groceries and pharmacies.

at the moment in Austria we have a rate of 2 days and 8 hours where the number of sick person double!

follow my project on instagram
Old 03-13-2020, 05:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been watching the worldwide "virus" map for a week or so now. Interesting what is starting to happen ... many countries are basically lying about their infection rates right now. China has basically stopped reporting data to the WHO. Countries like India with 1.1 BILLION people says they only have 72 cases ... uhhh OK.

Basically BILLIONS of dollars a day are lost when a country reports a high infection rate, tourism stops, foreign business travel stops, investments drop. So what we are seeing is a fudging of figures and creation of erroneous figures to maintain a sense of normalcy to the last possible moment.

Imagine a city with a fecal coli-form out break in all the restaurants, everyone starts out being honest, but when the money starts going away, every restaurant wants to be the last one still open, the last one still making money.

On a global scale it could mean Trillions of dollars of income lost or gained. And because of this, the data being reported is going to be absolutely worthless in the coming weeks. Which means that the powers that be are going to be helpless to stop the spread without accurate data.

Italy is probably the only country so far that has done extensive testing, and accurate reporting of data .... and of course it's destroying their economy. By the time the US gets around to large scale testing it's going to be too late to generate any kind of meaningful public policy.

However, I'm of the belief that the mortality rates are far exaggerated right now, there are some epidemiologists that are saying for every one person that has been confirmed, there are 10 that have it and show no serious symptoms, and so are not counted as infected, which inflates the mortality rate.

The biggest flaw I'm seeing worldwide right now is a lack of accurate and timely information about travel restrictions, treatment, infection rates, etc. Lots of governments are basically responding based on rumors.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW, you can view the current data here:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Strangely the infections in China basically stopped about four days ago ... according to their data, no one else is getting it, and almost everyone that had it is now fine and dandy

Notice the graphs in the lower right corner .... where it appears that recoveries are about to equal infections, and the infection rate is leveling off .... that is based on the made up data coming out of China.

Appears the F1 season is in doubt, also the MotoGP season (the F1 of motorcycle racing)

Old 03-13-2020, 06:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BIL & SIL just returned from week in SE France. BIL is a minister at a very large church, though not showing signs of being infected, he & my SIL are self quaranteening, hopefully they don't become positive. Wife's parents had been in SE France pastoring a church for last two months, yesterday, they packed up & took a train N through France & are working on getting a flight back to the MN.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 03-13-2020 at 06:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No one is holding China responsible for sitting on the discovery and suppression of the knowledge of this communicable disease when it was first identified.

That - allowed the transmission and export of it outside China.

The World should hold China financially accountable and demand financial compensation for the economic losses

This is exactly it. This should be a wake-up call to the world that we need to get away from our reliance on China. They just don't care. Covid-19 isn't the only thing they've sent over. There's also Boring Beetles, there was SARS, other plant and animal disease, etc. Time to give them the boot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 66sprint6 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone that says this is like the flu, don't worry, has not researched pandemic vs seasonal. and this appears to be a much higher fatality rate for elderly than flu. It also appears more contagious. Add in the pandemic effect of medical overload. Hospitals in Italy are at capacity.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Wife and I have tickets to Paris April 21, then on to Italy a week later. Assuming the planes are still flying, we'll be going. Pretty sure they don't let germs into 1st class without paying.

Of course we are keeping an eye on our options ... it's almost funny watching the Airlines contort themselves trying to screw as many people out of as much money as they possibly can, for as long as they can. They know it means millions of dollars a day the more people they can prevent from getting a refund.

We booked in early Feb., you'd think they would just say .. "Hey, it's a total sh*t show, here's your money back" ... nope, not going to be nearly that simple.
LOL, flying first class sounds like the answer!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Anyone that says this is like the flu, don't worry, has not researched pandemic vs seasonal. and this appears to be a much higher fatality rate for elderly than flu. It also appears more contagious. Add in the pandemic effect of medical overload. Hospitals in Italy are at capacity.
.1% for seasonal flu verses 1% for COVID-19. SARS has a 10% mortality rate while MERS has a 34% mortality rate. COVID-19 is a mutation of the SARS virus. The “swine” flu pandemic in 2009-2010 sickened millions of Americans, lead to 300,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths (1,600 of which were children). Even IF the Chinese “fudged” their actual statistics by a factor of twenty, that would equate to 20 million infections in a 1.6 BILLION population with a a Third World medical system. “Swine” flu infected up to 1.4 BILLION people worldwide (21% of the total world population).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-13-2020, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't see how at this point anyone could feel this is just the flu and people are panicking unnecessarily. I might agree that panicking is the wrong thing to do, but its clearly different as evidenced by how differently the world is reacting.

Trust me, Mickey Mouse isn't giving up all them juicy spring break dollars for no reason.

I had said yesterday that I thought it was going to spread regardless so we should do go about life and if you get sick deal with it. Ive altered my stance on that somewhat after listening to some smart people and thinking on it. I still feel its beyond containment. BUT, the measures being taken by everyone from the school systems to NASCAR aren't to stop it. Only to slow the spread down. At this point the name of the game seems to be keeping everyone from getting sick at the same time. Hopefully allowing our own medical infrastructure to not be over run, as well as possible ramping up for a rush.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 03-13-2020, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
This thing is just getting started in this country. Only a few thousand infected nationwide at this time. However, if measures aren't taken to slow the spread we will see over a million infected in just over a month and then 2 million, 4 million, etc. That is the beauty of exponents.

We know this is how fast it spread by observing what is happening in other countries and by what is being seen here in the shorter time it's had to do it's thing.

The thing that kills me is all the people saying "it's no worse than the flu." Hmm... the flu doesn't overwhelm a 1st world country's medical system in just a couple weeks. The flu doesn't kill 800 out of 12,000. The flu doesn't kill 16 residents in an old folks' home in a week.

Like I said, it's just getting rolling. We will see what happens. Check back in a month's time.

I'm concerned because my girlfriend is in a high risk group and has a teenager who doesn't stay home much...

And, beyond the concerns for the health of my loved ones (my immediate family are all older people at high risk and I'm no spring chicken any more either) there's the economic blow. This is going to tank the economy. Restaurants around here are closing left and right due to lack of business. Downtown is a ghost town. I drove a section of freeway today at the height of normal rush hour and on one section didn't see another car. It was spooky...
Will, there is so much misinformation in this post I don’t know where to begin. To preface my statements, all of the statistics I will use are readily available on the Internet. My clinical source is my wife(RN, BSN, RNC, MSN, CNE). You claim that seasonal flu does NOT kill 16 residents in a week. This statement is somewhat fallacious. My wife is a divisional Vice President for clinical services for a large LTC corporation. In December, one of her facilities( her division covers MI, WI, IL, IN, OH, PA, NJ and DE) had such a loss of residents from seasonal flu. The published mortality rates on seasonal flu are misleading.. .1% is an average of the population. The mortality rate among the elderly is much higher, given the occurrence of underlying conditions such as cardiovascular disease, pulmonary disease and diabetes in this population. COVID-19 is a mutation of the SARS virus. SARS has a mortality rate of 10%. Current statistics point to a 1% MAXIMUM mortality rate. While this IS ten times higher than seasonal flu, it is no where near the 3-10% mortality rate originally postulated. Ever been to Italy? I have. To label Italy a “First World” nation is a stretch. Italy is a very poor nation financially speaking. Couple this with the “gridlock” of their national government along with EU demands and protocols you have a recipe for a medical system totally overwhelmed. Now, IF I were a person over 60 with underlying medical conditions I would be some what concerned about contacting COVID-19. As a type II diabetic, my wife is very concerned about contracting COVID-19, as she is also very concerned about her staff and 5,000 residents contracting this virus.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know people are not REALLY in a panic yet ... both gold and silver went DOWN today

I'm going to use my day off to make my own oil filter cutter .... don't everyone do that please, it could destroy the oil filter cutter industry.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems the virus goes around like a uhm yea a virus.

I think testing is over-blown, like testing for a cold.

Perhaps the best protocol is practiced with flu ; if you get it, rest-up, etc. But if you get worse then Doc-hospital course of treatment.

...have had my fill of vitamin C. Folks at the Bowling Alley all seemed fine, high-5ing, and no masks. My teamates are 81, 81, and 76 yet bowl and act like they at 28.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 12:00 PM

The infection rate is the difference , with the common flu you may only infect 1 person around you. With this coronavirus strain you could infect 1-3 and right now it seems on the higher side with 3. It is also strange that this strain seems to have a higher death rate among older patients especially with underlying conditions,not many young with underlying conditions. The transmission is also a mystery on whether it is just airborne or other factors involved. People who say they aren't worried because they are young and healthy might want to look up Spanish Flu and see what worst cast scenario could happen. The first wave of Spanish flu early in the year was very similar to the common flu and killed young and old with compromised immunity systems, so most people did not worry and not a lot was done to protect people. The second wave later in the year of the Spanish Flu did not discriminate it killed every age group healthy or not. The dont worry attitude help spread the first wave of the Spanish Flu and then it mutated to an even deadlier strain the second time around. Should this make you panic and hoard toilet paper of course not but should it make you more cautious, yes. I am glad to see that there are restrictions on travel and large gatherings. At least something is being done to curb the spread of the virus. Like all viruses they can mutate and change especially a strain like this that crossed species.
I saw this quote on another web site and made me think of the Matrix.
What if mother nature is sick and she is trying to get rid of the virus,humans.
The matrix version=
Quote:
Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Last edited by ta6point6; 03-13-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm just gonna leave this here.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHARMIN.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	534365  

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Listening to a radio talk show yesterday, a doctor from Northwestern Medical Center said out of 80K cases of flu this season, around 10k died.
That's a heck of a lot higher rate.

People gone crazy around here the past week.
No hand sanitizer or toilet paper anywhere.
Lots of can and dry goods are low if any at all.
Any bottled water left only 2 cases per costumer.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 03-13-2020, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So far this is not nearly as bad as the Swine Flu of 2009 ... yet, in 2009 no media frenzy, no condemnation of the government, no panic.

In fact 1000 people in the US had died, and millions contracted Swine Flu before the president called a national emergency. It went on to kill 1800 people in the US, of all ages.

Barely made the first page of major newspapers, almost no coverage on TV .... wonder why the difference. So far Convid-19 is considerably less dangerous.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 01:44 PM

Saw this on another forum and thought I would share here. My hat is on!

TIN FOIL HAT "ON" ....

Coronavirus is the common cold.

The globalist elites have duped us all, yet again.

Through their MSM and puppet leaders, they will make this fake pandemic, a real one.

Of course, real except for the death rates, deaths will just be typical of the common cold which it is. But our retirement funds and stocks, and who knows what other material assets, will be eaten in the process.

The 0.1% elites, want the 99.9% to have as little $ as possible. What better than a fake virus pandemic to crash the world economy. Too easy

TIN FOIL HAT "OFF" ....

This coronavirus is very serious. I'm afraid.

I'm going out to buy 500 rolls of toilet paper and hand wash, to try save me from catching coronavirus.

My 401k and stocks have turned to dog **** but if i get through this pandemic, i beat death. So i will thank god for that i'm still alive. Life is more important than money, right.

Regardless of TIN FOIL ON or OFF..............

Our 0.1% mega rich overlords......

Closed Thread