THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Along those lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtokid1968 View Post
Buy a unit that has dials!
DO not buy one with all electronic controls!!
Had 2 sets of new fancy crap neither lasted!
Went to an old fashion style with knobs it has lasted longer than both of the fancy sets !
Agreed! We bought a set 20 years ago and the dryer ruined my uniform when the heat wouldn't shut off and the repairman said the part was $200.! He said it wasn't worth fixing and of course it was just out of warranty. I bought a dryer right after on CL for $60.00 and it still works just fine.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 03-22-2020, 06:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amana-3-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
If I was buying new, I would look at these.
Completely agree. The Amana is a budget washer with excellent reviews, though the capacity is on the lower end.

If you want a really well built machine (made in Wisconsin), look at the Speed Queens. Much more expensive than the Amana, but last time I checked they have a 10 year warranty. But you won't find Speed Queens at the big box stores. They're sold thru independent appliance stores.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As I told you, GE is still a decent no-frills washing machine for under $500 that has yet to give me issues. I've had 2 over the last 15 years and the people I gave the old ones to are still using them. Amana is also a good brand (my great-uncle used to sell them in his store so we're loyal) without being overly pricey. The smartest thing you can do is get one without a fancy controls setup!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ben M. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker455 View Post
Yes Jeff they are.
Many moons ago the Maytag guy said to skip the all new neptune line and stick with the unit that will last over 20 years...he was right.. still ticking!
Maytag products used to be mostly all made in Newton, Iowa. They sold out to Whirlpool. Whirlpool closed the entire maytag factory in Newton, and moved production elsewhere. Some of my angry relatives that live in Iowa (yes, I am from the Hawkeye state!!!) told me they packed it all up and moved to Mexico. I posted that once, and Simple Man informed me that was not the truth. I don't know where all they are made, but I assume not in Iowa...I'd still buy a Maytag!!!

When I was a SMALL child our wash machine gave up. My dad worked part time for an appliance company in our small Eastern Iowa town. The guy that owned the place gave my Dad 2 used wash machines. THey were identical, one could be made out of the two. My Dad performed the work, and we had a working wash machine........for a while. It pooped out too. The folks bought a new Maytag washer...mind you this was like 1963 or 1964. My Dad still has it. He washes rags in it at his work shop. IT STILL WORKS FINE!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-22-2020, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I built high end homes for 38 years and used maytag (jenn aire) appliances in all of my specs and almost all of my customs. that is until they decided to go the route of trying to compete with the other brands. quality went to crap. sold out to whirlpool. years ago I became very good friends with the guy who owned the maytag store (car guy also) and ended up building him several stores and 2 homes. BUT sadly I wouldn't take a whirlpool or maytag appliance if you gave it to me for free now. total junk in my experience and opinion.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
I built high end homes for 38 years and used maytag (jenn aire) appliances in all of my specs and almost all of my customs. that is until they decided to go the route of trying to compete with the other brands. quality went to crap. sold out to whirlpool. years ago I became very good friends with the guy who owned the maytag store (car guy also) and ended up building him several stores and 2 homes. BUT sadly I wouldn't take a whirlpool or maytag appliance if you gave it to me for free now. total junk in my experience and opinion.
OK, that may answer 1/2 of the story. What new washers are NOT "total junk" in your opinion? Maytag washers BTW are made in Ohio, right up the road from where I live. Huge facility.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
OK, that may answer 1/2 of the story. What new washers are NOT "total junk" in your opinion? Maytag washers BTW are made in Ohio, right up the road from where I live. Huge facility.
agreed most everything is junk nowdays. bosch is good but expensive. in the last 5 years as things have had to be replaced in my rental properties I have had good luck with ge stuff so far.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
My washer is finally giving up the ghost. It's rusting on top of the basket and the agitator is starting to flop around. I was looking at a Samsung (Great reviews???) but after all the horror stories on their fridges I'm hesitant. I'm leaning towards a large capacity one since my wife over loads.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6322982
Avoid Samsung like the plague! We had one that had to have new barrel dampeners installed every 12-18 months($120 per set), then the bloody thing rusted out from the inside. Whirlpool or Maytag analog appliances are the way to go.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-22-2020, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well the GE appliances are made in Louisville, KY, right down the road the other direction! I have had good luck with some of their appliances over the years. Their over the range microwaves seem to have a self destruct timer on board. 5 minutes after the warranty expires, so do they. Can't remember any issues with their washers.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maytag is still made in America, still has a ten year warranty and washes my 25 pound weighted comforter with no problems 6 years on.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:21 PM
Suspended

Speedy Queen! Industrial quality.. no cheap plastic parts.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Maytag products used to be mostly all made in Newton, Iowa. They sold out to Whirlpool. Whirlpool closed the entire maytag factory in Newton, and moved production elsewhere. Some of my angry relatives that live in Iowa (yes, I am from the Hawkeye state!!!) told me they packed it all up and moved to Mexico. I posted that once, and Simple Man informed me that was not the truth. I don't know where all they are made, but I assume not in Iowa...I'd still buy a Maytag!!!

When I was a SMALL child our wash machine gave up. My dad worked part time for an appliance company in our small Eastern Iowa town. The guy that owned the place gave my Dad 2 used wash machines. THey were identical, one could be made out of the two. My Dad performed the work, and we had a working wash machine........for a while. It pooped out too. The folks bought a new Maytag washer...mind you this was like 1963 or 1964. My Dad still has it. He washes rags in it at his work shop. IT STILL WORKS FINE!!!
I got mine in 99' it has genuine Maytag transmission that they brag will last 20 years...I haven't had to touch that part of it.

I did have the washer & dryer apart this past summer just to replace normal wear items which was simple.

I have recent years replaced a few stem seals which I can see over time the porcelain coating on the drum can chip away & rust.

Modern epoxy and a bondo spreader to the rescue!

Even further back in time my parents house had Whirlpool , they were fine too.
In early 2k's I did a belt on dryer (just like my Maytag) and what they call the transmission on the Whirlpool which was two opposed 3 finger plastic disc connected by a single rubber bridge... very simple and easy to break.

Last edited by shaker455; 03-23-2020 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.aztecappliance.com/produ...r3003wn-383204

I'm really liking this one! Now to convince the little woman why we need a $1,000 washer... I was impressed that it's USA made and has a designed life of 25 years. I've been reading the reviews for all brands and it seems like the average life is 3-5 years on the big box machines.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 03-23-2020, 04:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have had our Speed Queen washer & Dryer for about 7 years.
Truly the best out there! AMERICAN MADE.
The best 35 year appliance repair man told me to get those when he could no longer get parts to repair our old Maytag's bought in 1977.

DO NOT buy the low or high end units.
Get the middle line units with the mechanical timers.
https://speedqueen.com/products/home...d-washers/tr5/

Old 03-23-2020, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd look at the Speed Queen too if i wanted a top loader. I had a Maytag 5 years ago. 4 years old it needed both circuit boards replaced for a cost of $500 just in parts. I paid $800 for the washer. That 10 year warranty.... only on the tub. I've had a Samsung for almost 6 years now - no problems at all. Almost none of the new washers don't have a computer (circuit boards). Hard to avoid these days. That Speed Queen looks solid.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:28 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzn68 View Post
My son is an appliance tech. He says no one wants to work on LG or Samsung because they are poorly engineered crap. Go with a Whirlpool or a Maytag (which is now made by Whirlpool).
I found this to be true amoungst techs however my Samsung washer, which is now about 4 years old, has been perfect. Yes, it has a lot of electronics, which bothers the hell out of me, but its getting about as difficult to find "knobs" on appliances as it is to find full size refrigerators with flat-front doors.

Welcome to all this new-fangled crap.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Plan on whatever you get to last 4 or 5 years then replace. Mom and dad gave us a set of maytag wash/dry for a wedding present in '86. They lasted over 20years. We are on our third set since, replacing about every 4 or 5 years. I think I have an LG right now and they have been ok for a bit. Like others I talked to my trusted appliance guy before I replaced the maytags and he advised against them. Said they weren't built like the old ones and were problematic. When my Samsung refrig was acting up I had a hard time finding someone to service that! My go to guy doesn't work on that brand for some reason ( although I would think if they were that prone to repair that is the one brand I would want to work on). The circuit board went out on the last dryer and it was a $500 fix, for not much more we bought a new dryer. That's just the nature of the beast nowadays.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
https://www.aztecappliance.com/produ...r3003wn-383204

I'm really liking this one! Now to convince the little woman why we need a $1,000 washer... I was impressed that it's USA made and has a designed life of 25 years. I've been reading the reviews for all brands and it seems like the average life is 3-5 years on the big box machines.
We buy all our appliances from Aztec. Great deals can be made. Especially now when floor traffic is down.

A few years ago our 20 year Whirlpool dryer wouldn't run. Would turn over but as soon as you let go of the start button it would stop. (Sound familiar?)
I narrowed it down to a relay on a circuit board. WP wanted over $200 for a new board so I began to look for a new dryer. Wife questioned that decision. "Can you just buy the relay" she asked. Sure enough, the relay on Amazon was $3.95. I bought two, soldered the relay to the board, and the dryer is still running today.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 03-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

we just popped for a new washer/dryer combo and we got a set of USA made maytag models with dials. Been working like a charm for 7 years now.

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made
Old 03-23-2020, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Even further back in time my parents house had Whirlpool , they were fine too.
In early 2k's I did a belt on dryer (just like my Maytag) and what they call the transmission on the Whirlpool which was two opposed 3 finger plastic disc connected by a single rubber bridge... very simple and easy to break. "

yep, direct drive instead of belt....put too much of a load in the washer and it breaks. Had to replace two of them in about 15 years. No such issue with belt drive. Replaced one belt on 20 years.

Been looking for a washer for the last 6 months, ours is still working but has a peculiar mold-type smell, I think the space between the drum and outer needs to be cleaned, that's my suspicion. We have had it for quite a few years, hence just getting a new one but we (she) wants one with a real agitator. The selection is few and far between.

George