Old 04-01-2023, 12:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Here's the schematic I was generally going to follow, in case you haven't seen it elsewhere. Note-it also recommends losing the circuit breaker in favor of a fuse. EDIT- I think I was considering just sending the pink ignition wire directly to the switch and eliminating the factory relay. The switch no longer has the full current draw running through it in this scenario-it's only triggering the the new relays who are then sending the full current to the motors.
I have wired in the 4 relays as you have pictured in the schematic mainly to protect the window switches from big current and to offer more amperage at the window motors to gain better window response. The relays will end up under the console near the switch harness to access the stock window harness and wires there. I want to pull the 12 volts from a Battery circuit on the fuse block that is on all the time and is fused without the ignition on.
Rather than run a new 12 gauge wire from the fuse block I think I will pull the stock relay out and jumper the 12 gauge orange/black to the 12 gauge pink (out to the switch) and change that terminal at the fuse block to the BATT terminal so I can operate the windows without the ignition on.

The attached photo shows my relays temporaily wired in. The wire nuts will be replaced with a soldered connection as you see with the others. The Pink wire (circled in red on the second and third photo) from the stock relay is currently open and is an option to just running a new 12guage wire from the fuse block. The power into the relays and to power the switch is hard to see in the photo and is circled in yellow on the second and third photo. The white wire leaving the photo is to ground for the relays and is grounded on one of the shifter mounting bolts.

I tested all as wired and the windows move up and down nicely without the engine runnning. Window tracks have all been pulled out and relubed.

When I determine the input source I will solder all and complete the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window relays.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	610006   Click image for larger version

Name:	window relays 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	610007   Click image for larger version

Name:	window relays 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	610008  

Last edited by i4abuygto; 04-01-2023 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just an FYI - I dont believe my 79 Trans Am here had power windows from the factory. When I purchased it, I removed the manual window cranks and installed some aftermarket bolt in power window regulators. I was kind of surprised to see that the car is wired for power windows. All of the stock wiring is there.

Old 04-01-2023, 04:33 PM

Good stuff! It looks like you're on the right track. Coincidentally, my '79 was also born with manual windows (I have the build sheet) and had power windows added later with factory parts. I contemplated (and still ultimately may) switching it back. I've got no issues with swinging a crank and kind of enjoy it as an old school throwback in my '71 GT-37, even though that has 4 cranks including the rear quarter windows.

'79 T/A Solar Gold Metallic W72/WS6

'71 GT-37
Old 04-02-2023, 03:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Good stuff! It looks like you're on the right track. Coincidentally, my '79 was also born with manual windows (I have the build sheet) and had power windows added later with factory parts. I contemplated (and still ultimately may) switching it back. I've got no issues with swinging a crank and kind of enjoy it as an old school throwback in my '71 GT-37, even though that has 4 cranks including the rear quarter windows.
You and I should have gotten together earlier and we could have swapped regulators. I have the manual regulators that I removed. I am not sure if a guy should keep them or not?

Without T-tops and AC (yet), I wanted power windows to be able to lower the passenger window from the driver seat.

I have to work on getting the factory AC to work again- I am missing everything forward of the firewall.

Last edited by i4abuygto; 04-02-2023 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:11 AM
Suspended

Check out Thepartguy.com for ideas or parts for ac and brackets.
Agree re being able to easily bump windows down on both sides, not everyone drives with a passenger.
There's also the custom AC option but it's more suited for non-AC cars, and if they are a Camaro! I think original parts and adjusted pressure switche and equipment to suit R132a is still the way to go.

The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor78 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2023, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

R132a?