The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-19-2020, 02:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What is the best adhesion promoter for hard plastics?

Getting ready to paint my kick panels, seat backs, etc. (some OEM/repro) and have the correct SEM Color Coat. I'm looking to get some adhesion promoter, but not sure which would be best for a hard plastic application.

SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter -$21.99/can

SEM XXX Adhesion Promoter - $17.99/can

Bulldog Adhesion Promoter - $28.99/can

Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter - $7.99/can

I've used Bulldog in the past with great results on a console cover, but see that there is a significant difference in price between each. Would love to save money if the results are essentially equal. Only want to do this once, correctly.

Also wondering if the grease/wax cleaners are worth the money, as opposed to diluted Dawn in water? Was thinking about a light scuff with a scotchbrite then a little soap and water versus spending on the available prep products, if it makes sense.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 04-20-2020, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive done a few of these parts using sem as a final colour. I clean the stuff good with something from around the house, I think I have used something like 409? Never mixed dawn and water though. I do a wipe before painting with a final clean product made for paint prep. I have never used adhesion promoter and have never had any problems. I do use a matte clear as a top coat. I think you could stick to what you are familiar with and you'd be ok. If it were me I would stay in the same product line though, in fact I did buy sem adhesion promoter just never used it.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:15 PM
Senior Chief

What ever one you use they all say clean and prep is the best way to have it be successful. I have painted plastic with different single stage paints and had no issues and good success. I had been told years ago to final clean with isopropyl alcohol and have used gas line ISO antifreeze (and you can buy it now) as it is pure and leaves no residue as a final clean before using the adhesion promoter. My opinion is it "softens" the plastic so the paint can bite in better for a good bond.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used that exact Duplicolor product in your post.
I cleaned with hot water, dawn and a stiff brush... maybe two or three times. When dry and right before I painted, I did a damp wipe with laquer thinner. I have heard that it's a bad idea but I did it and no harm done.
Lastly, I did the primer and sprayed. The rest of the interior was newly covered. I just needed the a-pillar covers, console, rear seat and kick panels to match.