The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-20-2020, 06:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Good auto painting books

Any suggestions for a book on auto painting .. something in the last ten years for sure.

I have one I bought 20+ years ago but the technology and materials change so fast it's already outdated.

I'm more in need of a refresher on materials, gun types, modern options for paint, abrasives, reducers etc.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2020, 11:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You'd be better served going to specialized forums (such as autobody101) than any book, IMO.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a set of dvds available by the name of 'Paintucation'. The entire set is kind of pricey but you can buy them individually by the subject your interested in.
I have a couple of them from back when I was thinking of painting my own car...."Paint your Own Car'' and "Color Sanding and Buffing"....but I never did paint my car so I can't really judge. They seemed well thought out with clear demonstrations and verbal guidance.
I've seen them cheaper than Eastwoods price... https://www.eastwood.com/paintucation-6-dvd-set.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought that set of dvds before I did my painting. They were informative but I dont think they will give the info the op is looking for. There was a lot of basic and intuitive information. I dont recall it really breaking down info on actual paint products and the like, nor do I remember anything detailed about colour buffing as well. If I still have them I can make you a good deal, but I think I may have given them away already.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are those the videos with Kevin Tetz from like 20 years ago? Or am I thinking of another video series?

Old 04-21-2020, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The ones I had are Kevin Tetz.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I'm not really looking for "how to" as much as a guide to modern materials and methods. I know things have changed a lot in the last 20 years. For instance I've never painting anything of size with an HVLP gun, last paint I auto paint I used a SS enamel, before that Imron, so no BC/CC paints (actually I think I did a small motorcycle in BC/CC, which turned out nice). So just kind of guidelines and techniques for modern materials.

There is some pretty good stuff by professional painters on YouTube ... but I'm the kind of guy that needs things written down

Old 04-21-2020, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Coming from someone with little to no experience I would say get a good hvlp and give it a shot. My spray experience came from lacquer on high end furniture, so I pretty much knew the basics how to handle a gun. The first auto related thing I painted was my motorcycle. I used a hot rod black paint and a satin clear. It came out great, I even impressed myself, LOL. When I did my first car I was afraid to mess it up. I got a good price to paint the car with me doing the cut-in work, jambs, under trunk, cowell areas, etc. I was afraid to do bc/cc so I did all of the above in single stage. Again it came out great. So good in fact I decided that I would give the car a try. I did so but used bc/cc and nary a problem. In fact I think the bc/cc is a bit more forgiving but that may just be me. I followed the mixing instructions to a T, as well as the flash times using a stop watch. If you know how to paint you already have the technique which I think is a big part of the process. In my case the local paint store was very helpful when it came to the paint and clear, the guys there knew I was a greenhorn and were patient and informative. I guess that worked because they are my go to guys now for all of my supplies.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My "good" gun these day is a FL-4 Finish line ... but I plan on an Iwata to paint the car. I think it's a hybrid ... meaning compliant I guess but not HVLP. I've had decent luck in the past painting, typically use very substandard equipment .... no filters, cheap regulators etc. That won't be the case this time.

I live in fear of removing paint ... I absolutely hate it, and since I gather BC/CC is more forgiving that's the way I'll go.

Luckily I'm not looking for an outstanding paint job, just OEM quality.

To me, this is most frightening part of a restoration. I'd build the engine over again in a heart beat if necessary ... but do not want to paint twice

I appreciate the moral support

Old 04-21-2020, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought I had a pic of my gun but I mustve erased it. Im no expert by any means but pretty comfortable with painting. Mechanical is my weakness. I am getting ready to build a 400 and am going to try to do as much as I can myself for the learning experience.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2019-09-26_06-25-16 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-12-30_12-34-26 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-09-16_04-21-37 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
These are pics of my latest painting venture. Again I am far from a pro, if I can do it most others can.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work, I'll build your engine if you paint my car ... luckily the mistakes I make won't be visible for a while

Old 04-22-2020, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Nice work, I'll build your engine if you paint my car ... luckily the mistakes I make won't be visible for a while
That's funny. I had a guy i know that lives in NC wanted to do that deal. I considered briefly but thought that my paint is good enough for me but not sure its good enough for someone else. If he lived closer i may have worked something out.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought they had a DVD on being a “ Perfectionist Painter”.... .....I saw that in some thread ?

Old 04-22-2020, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I need the one for "Looks good from here" painter

Old 04-22-2020, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought someone here claimed to be a “Perfectionist “....and maybe honed their skills by watching that video.....

Old 04-22-2020, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my personal experience the only way to get good at the feel of an HVLP is to actually use it, you can get a good idea of the settings to get you close by doing some research but the actual experience will be the greatest teacher.
I started by painting things like epoxy primer on the body, wheel wells, frame parts etc which you can easily screw up with out much consequence and build up an experience base.
By the time the car was ready to paint I was confident enough to paint and clear it myself and was very happy with the results.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
I thought someone here claimed to be a “Perfectionist “....and maybe honed their skills by watching that video.....
"Perfectionism is the true pursuit of unhappiness..."

Saw that is a signature line somewhere, and it is so true!

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 04-22-2020, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
In my personal experience the only way to get good at the feel of an HVLP is to actually use it, you can get a good idea of the settings to get you close by doing some research but the actual experience will be the greatest teacher.
I started by painting things like epoxy primer on the body, wheel wells, frame parts etc which you can easily screw up with out much consequence and build up an experience base.
By the time the car was ready to paint I was confident enough to paint and clear it myself and was very happy with the results.
I am learning the same way. My skills using a gun when I originally primed the trunk and underbody 4-5 years ago are primitive compared to today, and I still have lots to learn but its getting better.

My biggest challenge is ensuring I have enough light to clearly see what's happening, and to pay close attention at how the primer/paint is hitting the surface. In a home garage with makeshift spray booth it seems there is never enough light!!

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 04-22-2020, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just painting a tractor wheel outside, hanging from a boom on another tractor in the bright sun ... yep, visibility was the main problem. With light only coming from one direction it's hard to see how the paint is laying down.

Another problem is I can work fast, or careful, but I can't work fast and careful. Some pro's just whip it out, impressive to watch.