The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-26-2020, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Small Parts Painting Cabinet

Here is a bad pic of something I built a few years ago that I probably use every other day.

It's a semi-enclose cabinet for painting small parts in the shop rather than outside. About the size of a sand blasting cabinet. In the photo you can see a sheet of steel hanging down in the back, behind that is a furnace air filter which slides into a filter holder in an enclosing box, attached to the back of the box is a squirrel cage blower that pulls air out of the cabinet and routes it to my 4" shop exhaust (which also serves the blasting cabinet). The hanging metal sheet is to protect the filter from the direct spray, so the air is sucked from around the edges of the metal sheet.

In the top is a hanging hook attached to a handle on the top of the box so you can rotate the part that is hanging. On the bottom is a lazy susan for parts you can set down to paint.

Wired with lights and a switch of course.

If you don't go crazy, and give it a bit of time to exhaust the fumes as you go, it seems to remove about 95% of it from the shop. As you can see it gets a lot of use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint-Cabinet.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	538448  

Old 04-27-2020, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is pretty slick...thanks for the idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Wild_Cat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a lot neater and cleaner on the outside, I should have taken better photos. Duck tape is to keep the lights from blinding me while I'm painting ... a design error on my part

Old 04-28-2020, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a high power exhaust hood that I was thinking on converting to use in a similar space. Just never got around to it and the hood is heading to the scrap yard. I doubt its expulsion proof as it is from a kitchen hood anyway.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My squirrel cage blower is I'm sure NOT explosion proof ... but the motor is outside the blower, and the blower is outside the cabinet so it doesn't see any of the fumes, well, no more than the rest of the shop sees.