The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-26-2020, 08:31 AM

Default Looking for suggestions on how to bend up some sheet metal replacement pieces

I'm looking for feedback on how to bend up some sheet metal replacement pieces (without special tools) for the front fenders on my 1965 gto. Pictures are attached. I've saved the cut out pieces to use as templates. Any feedback on how to make these replacement pieces would be appreciated. I don't have any sheet metal bending tools so am hoping there is a creative way to make these without them. Thanks in advance. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6556.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	541087

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6557.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	541088

Old 05-26-2020, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

DIY Sheetmetal brake looks to be in your future.

The Following User Says Thank You to rohrt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are some pretty tight bends to make without the proper tools. For a DIY, I think I would get a couple of pieces of heavy angle iron, maybe 2 x 2. A butt ton of c clamps. Put the piece between the 2 irons, clamped quite often and beat away. Work it along the length back and forth until you can get it just right. I do aluminum work quite often with a brake but its not built heavy enough for steel work. There are small DIY metal working brakes but they arent cost effective for one job. Another option would be to find a sheet metal shop, or a specialty metal shop and they could cut and bend that piece in a matter of minutes for less than the cost of a tank of gas. A good HVAC shop should also have a heavy duty brake that could bend that.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I do have a bunch of bending machines and I still sometimes take a piece to a sheet metal/HVAC shop to be bent if it's longer than I can handle.

They won't be able to help you with that curve at the end, you'll have to work that into shape yourself.

Another option would be to look around for something made of suitable metal, already bent at 90 degrees and cut it out, can't think of anything that would suffice off the top of my head.

The other side of the equation is .... if you build your own workable brake it will be there for future work ... and there is almost always future work.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used the TAKerry trick many times. I keep a couple of pieces of 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 1/4 aluminum angle for just that purpose. Even on fairly long bends like inner rockers if you take your time on the bending it will still come out very straight.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:13 PM
Senior Chief

I would make it in multiple pieces and that done but could trim it in maybe before welding. Put 4 - 8" pieces in your vise and bend and tap a good 90 bend on them. Make sure to stitch them together and let cool so you minimize warping. I would only do this with 023 wire. Anything can be done to fix a fender here is one for a 70 LeMans that has three patches. One from a donor fender, one a repo part and the other that I made with no break. Yes it looks good painted etc with minimal filler. Also I had to extend my aftermarket trunk lid to fit and used TIG rod stitched in on both sides. This made it so I did not have the grind the edge of a weld bead for contour just the top and bottom. You may want to do this for the profile on the top corner so it matches the curve of your hood and not constantly burning or grinding through. Just take you time there are many ways that are not wrong. Just find the best that works with your equipment and skills.
Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk gap.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	541099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2486.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	541101  

Old 05-26-2020, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We could make it using a brake and a stretcher. You need the stretcher to put the slight arch in it after doing the 90 brake.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://www.brucesrodshop.com/about-us/

I don’t know anything about these guys, but they are located in Houston (which I think you are). I ride my bike by their shop this morning and they have a sheet metal fab shop. Might be worth seeing if they can make them for you

Old 05-26-2020, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had an HVAC shop bend up some metal for me in the past.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you don't mind a lot of grinding, just use two flat strips and weld them together. Not sure why you cut this out the way you did as it looks like a couple of flat patches may have done the trick and been easier?

you could also scribe/cut a line where you want to the bend to be - may 'assist' in the bend and keeping it straight if you are using primitive bending methods/tools.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Or .... you could tell me how much you need and I could bend it here in my shop and send it to you. No charge for the metal or the bending.

How long is the longest piece ( that will greatly effect shipping costs).

I have plenty of 21 ga steel if that will do .... anything shorter than about 30" I can cut in a proper shear, anything longer and it would be cut with a Kett shear or plasma. You'd have to do any cut-outs etc. yourself.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:31 PM
Senior Chief

I would buy a sheet of MDF from Lowes or Home Depot. Make an exact template of the wider side of your piece. Cut 2 strips of the MDF about 6 inches wide and a few inches longer than the length of all 3 of your pieces combined. Lay your template and trace it onto one of the MDF pieces that you cut out. Now stack both pieces and cut them, using a jigsaw, together so they are identical. You only need to cut the side where the bend will be. Sandwich a piece of sheet metal between the boards. Overhang the part that you will bend ( hammer) down. The piece between the boards can be over sized at this point. Using as many clamps as you can crush the sheet metal between the boards. With the extra metal between the boards that will eventually be cut off run drywall screws through the boards and sheet metal to keep it all indexed.

The piece overhanging the wood should be the proper width you are shooting for. By making and using this home made hammer form you will be able to make your piece with the correct curve that you are looking for. Also make several passes with lite hammer blows. Several passes will be better than trying to hammer it all down at one time. You can also use a piece of hard wood like oak as a punch if your hammer leaves nasty marks on the metal. Just hammer the oak into the metal.

MDF stands for Medium Density Fiberboard. This is what many metal shapers use and if will be strong enough for several rounds of hammering. Just in case you need to make a few of these parts. In your case it can also be used again for the fender on the other side if you need to repair that one too.

I hope this makes sense but its hard to describe for me. Anyway it is easy and requires no special tools. Take someone with you to the store because MDF is very heavy.
Watch hammer forming videos on YouTube for more details. Good luck and let us see your repair no matter how you do it.

Paul

Old 05-29-2020, 09:19 PM

Thank you very much for all the feedback and suggestions. And special thanks to dataway for the VERY generous offer. I'm currently in a holding pattern on this while I explore my options.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's really no problem, I buy the stuff by the 4 x 10' sheet. Would take me 15 minutes to cut it and bend it.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I havent done long pieces but my aluminum brake will do 12" pieces 24 gauge easily. Friend, neighbor may have one.