Old 11-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default NO Spoiler 70-73 Formulas

I did add a spoiler to my 72 F400 which did not come with one. The car is going in for body work this winter, including a drivers side 1/4 panel. It is not drilled, and would need to be for a spoiler. But, I keep thinking maybe I should go back to the no spoiler look. I always used to think the Formula's looked like they were missing something without a spoiler, I think it was due to seeing 100,000 Trans Ams in the 70's. But over the last couple of months on this site, I have seen pics posted of no spoiler Formula's and it really is growing on me. Stealth look, clean, uninterrupted body lines. Also, it seems to hark back to the more true image of the musclecar, stripped down hot rod. From my hazy early 70's memory, it seems many if not most early Formula's didn't come with spoilers..... many have been added by now though, even (cringe) see them on 70's. So instead of drilling two holes, I can have two welded up and swap deck lids and back to the old look.

Votes?

We don't need no stinkin' spoilers?

They look wimpy without them?

I should put a gigantic Mopar Daytona wing on it? (Pontiac actually mocked up a clay one)

Old 11-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's PRETTY BIG can of WORMS you've opened there.

This one should be REAL INTERESTING!

I say FILL,don't DRILL!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I say if it doesn't fit, you must not drill it.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Chief

I can only wish they were optional on 1970 Formula's...

if I had 71-73 cars, I'd probably add a spoiler if it wasn't factory installed.

BTW... my avatar is my EX-72 car... and I it was SPOILED

1970 Ram Air III Formula 400 (YZ) M40 (26-Lucerne Blue / 201-Standard Medium Bright Blue)
1970 Ram Air III Formula 400 (YZ) M40 (26-Lucerne Blue / 211-Deluxe Medium Bright Blue) *SOLD*

The Following User Says Thank You to RAFormulas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree that they look unfinished without the spoiler. I'd keep it on.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I vote for no spoiler, especially on the 1970 models. Low back seats, non-console 4 speed and no rear spoiler gives it a basic, no-nonsense muscle car look. Just my opinion.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

on the '70's since it wasn't available, I would vote for no spoiler
for the '71-'73's I think they look better with one

On my '72 I have the same dilema, it came with no spoiler. At some point very early in the cars life, someone with really bad measuring skills drilled multiple choice spoiler holes (more like slots that go 2 ways) in the quarters and deck lid and added one, so I will have some welding either way but I'm keeping the spoiler.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:37 PM

If it wasn't an option, leave it off. Who cares how unfinished it looks...

My 73 has one, and I think it would look silly without it.

Just my slightly biased opinion

Old 11-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Senior Chief

The lines of the car look better without a rear spoiler and with a spoiler you lose the visual "pop" of the rear trunk bird emblem, espically on the Lucy blue cars.

For me, alot of the visual appeal of the 70-73 cars is that they look different and older than the cars that came later even though they shared sheet metal up till 1981.

A rear spiler appears more integrated on the 76 and newer cars.

I always wonder, if a rear spoiiler, why not the front and wheel well spoilers?

2016 Mustang GT - GT with the Performance Pack, beats my former 12 Boss around the track.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dare to be different.....

Old 11-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Senior Chief

Spoiler is a nice option if you ask me. You know the early 2nd gen camaro owners are jealous of it. I added a spoiler to mine and have never regretted it.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i like em with, i think it adds to the lines, not detract. if plain jane is your thing may as well take off the formula hood & put on a plain jane hood too.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 PM

I'd say its personal taste, but vote for no spoiler on a 70. My 70 came with a spoiler and I took it off and welded the holes. Attached some before and after pics to show the difference - the plain, pure look is growing on me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70left.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	148024   Click image for larger version

Name:	nospoiler.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	148025  

Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbirds View Post
I'd say its personal taste, but vote for no spoiler on a 70. My 70 came with a spoiler and I took it off and welded the holes. Attached some before and after pics to show the difference - the plain, pure look is growing on me.
wow, comparison shots, can't ask for better than that.....

I do like the baloney tip exhaust no spoiler look....

Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 70 Formula has no spoiler and the original poverty caps on 14x7 steel wheels, no trim rings.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My '73 Formula 455 had a spoiler when I got it, but it is not original. I will not be putting one back on. I prefer the no spoiler look also. I think the spoiler only looks good on Trans Ams with the additional valance and fender spoilers. I also prefer a level or slightly rear down stance on a Formula. I say let the hood scoops stand out.

No Spoiler.........

Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great responses...... I like that there is little or no middle ground in opinion Funny thing is I have added spoilers to this car and one other 74 Bird I had. First response.... "That thing needs a spoiler" wham.... done...... Another thing.... look at early Pontiac press releases, ads, and magazine road tests and reviews...... LOTS of no spoiler Formula's in attendance there..... One, they were appealing to the more car traditionalist crowd, and spoilers were a new (since about what 68) notion of what to put on a car, not as readily approved of as now. Some even mocked the TA look at the time...... so I think there is a generational acceptance thing also.....

Old 11-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 70 wont be getting one........I think they look ok but i remember back in the day that everybody that had an F-body (Pontiac or Chevy) put one of these things on it and it started to be the wanna-be trans am /Z-28 look..........these cars have great lines and dont need a piece of plastic tacked to the rear end to look good...........if it came with one though I'd leave it on...........

edit.....also, as years went on spoilers where added to almost everything and lost their coolness.....nowadays 4 cylinder honda's and just about everything else has one.........

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I won't get into what looks better because I believe that is a personal preferance thing. There seems to be a strong split on that opinion anyway. But I would like to add that the rear spoiler option was added to the Formula line because of popular demand. I remember a Pontiac dealer telling me that at the '71 new car introductions. People were asking for the Trans Am rear spoiler on other Firebird models. It should be noted that the rear spoiler was already being offered in the A body line during that same period. There was even a proposed firebird-like ducktail spoiler for the '72 Lemans. The option sold well enough for Pontiac to later offer the rear spoiler on other Firebird models. Pontiac thought enough of the option that both their '72 and '73 Formula press cars sported rear spoilers. I think that the rear spoiler on the Formula can be likened to the hood bird on the Trans Am. It was offered as an option so the buyer could have his choice. For the record, I've owned a '73 Formula without a spoiler and a '74 with one. I thought both cars looked great.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Great responses...... I like that there is little or no middle ground in opinion ..... Some even mocked the TA look at the time...... so I think there is a generational acceptance thing also.....

Couldn't agree more. In August of 1970 I was shopping for a replacement for my 69 Mustang Mach 1 and finally decided on a Firebird Formula 400, 4 speed, silver with red interior - and couldn't find one or order one (too late in the model year). A salesman told me they had a Trans Am out back that I could get a great deal on. For whatever reason I didn't even know about the TA, but walked out back to take a look....and almost didn't even take it for a test drive. Garish stripes, spoilers everywhere, shaker hood scoop - my first reaction was that it was a cartoon car with every muscle car cliche combined on the same car. Took a test drive, couldn't stop grinning, found one with a 4 speed at another dealer the next day and bought it on the spot (at a huge discount). After a few weeks it became the best looking car I have ever owned, and my favorite muscle car of all time. In 1999 searched for and found a project car with the same specs - blue/blue with M21 four speed and a console - and spent 2 years restoring it. The 70 TA is still my favorite car - and I almost didn't even sit in it because of a first impression.