Old 02-08-2020, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Aftermarket chassis for 1966 GP

I noticed an ad in the latest Hot Rod magazine for Scott's Hot Rods. The ad showed they can build a full chassis and suspension for a 1966 Grand Prix (which I assume would work under a Catalina as well.) I looked at their website and didn't find it, but it's shown on page 81 of their online catalog.

I have no plans for building a car with one, just passing it on as interesting information.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chassis.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	531436  

Old 02-16-2020, 03:33 PM
Suspended

Why? The 66 has a real nice chassis, triangular upper control arms that accept positive caster very easily, I just set one up, I got 4 degrees positive with no trouble...

The change from 64 to 65 was amazing, the 65 was a totally new car and very well designed..

Old 02-16-2020, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
Why? The 66 has a real nice chassis, triangular upper control arms that accept positive caster very easily, I just set one up, I got 4 degrees positive with no trouble...

The change from 64 to 65 was amazing, the 65 was a totally new car and very well designed.
1965 cars did have a good chassis for the day (I used to own a 1965 Grand Prix), but it was still 1960s technology. I assume this one uses current suspension design and will handle much better than would ever be possible with the original.

I agree it's not for everyone. However, Ford and Chevy get the lion's share of attention for aftermarket upgrades, so the fact that someone actually designed something like this for a Pontiac is noteworthy.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

A GP frame..but they don't offer Firebird or GTO? Well anyway, I like it. Although it doesn't seem like it is designed to bolt a stock body on without some mods. Obviously anyone wanting this will likely be tubbing their rear wheel wells. But this frame also seems like it is missing the contours to align with several of the main body mounting locations, particularly the firewall body mounts.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:46 PM
Suspended

Actually, the 65 suspension had a decent sized spindle so tall spindles are not needed. I always wanted to try a set of 60-62 b body upper control arms on the 65 up car. The solid bushings would take some of the bump steer out and the rear word tilt would put you in the 7-8 degree positive caster territory without any shims!! That car would handle like it was on rails with all the caster. I would run maybe .25 negative camber to give it a nice straightaway feel. I'd run a Lee 14:1 800 series box set for 30 pounds. Man would that work nice!!

Old 03-05-2020, 08:54 PM
Senior Chief

The Roadster Shop also make modernised frames for 65-66 big Pontiacs, as used on the epic 2+2 they debuted last year

Old 03-05-2020, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
The Roadster Shop also make modernised frames for 65-66 big Pontiacs, as used on the epic 2+2 they debuted last year
They have a photo gallery of the build of that car on their website but I didn't find a listing for the chassis - I wonder if it was just a one off for this car or if they have it in their catalog and it's just not listed on the website. https://roadstershop.com/galleries/1965pontiac/