Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-05-2020, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
Yea, you’re just dusting them.
Precisely, Brad. I was never quite sure what would cause this distortion in a block as rigid as a 6.9/7.3 IDI but the 7.3 PowerStrokes didn’t have this problem.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-06-2020, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Precisely, Brad. I was never quite sure what would cause this distortion in a block as rigid as a 6.9/7.3 IDI but the 7.3 PowerStrokes didn’t have this problem.
I think the PStoke block was beefed up for the increase in power. IH recommended a coolant additive to the 6.9 & 7.3 idi but Ford ignored the advice and didnt pass that info on so they suffered from calvitation which could have weakened parts of the block though.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cam bearings

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200216/77c998003c5eab06030bf1d5a2eeb094.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-16-2020, 03:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by footjoy View Post
Cam bearings

Old 02-16-2020, 03:21 PM
Suspended

I've seen this happen to three different Comp XE cams.. One was my buddy's numbers 413. He was pi$$ed....

Old 02-17-2020, 01:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mangled.

I've used a drill with a long mandrel and a scotchbrite flapper wheel to clean up a scrape or 2, but yours look really banged up. The one pic shows the bearing shell dented along the edge. Not looking good to salvage them.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 02-17-2020 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fugly. Notice that in the 2nd photo the oil hole is gone. Like I mentioned before, the cam bearings are really forgiving. Had those been main or rod bearings they would have made their plight known.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That block needs to have the cam bore alignment checked. I’ve seen some fubarred cam bearings before but these are some of the worst without the actual cam bores being spun.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-17-2020, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are we sure those bearings were actually getting oil?

Old 02-17-2020, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Are we sure those bearings were actually getting oil?
The cam didn't have any marks on it.

Greg

Old 02-17-2020, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, from the way the one bearing is distorted this cam was forced into the block.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-17-2020, 10:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Greg, from the way the one bearing is distorted this cam was forced into the block.
Could it also br from me removing it?

Thanks

Old 02-17-2020, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Unless I missed it was the cam checked for run out ?

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The cam didn't have any marks on it.

Greg

The cam was mangled by the lobes being dragged through and banged around inside the bearings, not an oiling or alignment failure. There is plenty of bearing material left and no copper showing. The partially closed oil hole is where a lobe scraped the babbitt up and the cam journal flattened it and pressed it into the hole when it was forced through. Cast iron vs lead/tin, cast iron always wins.

This is a what a miss-aligned cam bearing looks like

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 02-18-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Could it also br from me removing it?

Thanks
Affirmative. Nothing wrong with the alignment and plenty of life left if they weren't boogered up. If it were done on the install and run that way, they wouldn't have the obvious longitudinal scuffs and scratches. When it comes to caam R&R, an extra pair of hands is always a good idea unless the engine is out of the car and you can stand the block on-end. I 've always done them by myself but run a long bolt in the nose of the cam to pull the cam and then get my finger tip on the back of the cam to align it to pass through the bearings. The key is to go slow and never force it.

I don't think your bearings are salvageable. Ask around and find someone who will replace the cam bearings in the car. It can and has been done. A tow to and from and install by an experienced mechanic is worth the price.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 02-18-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Affirmative. Nothing wrong with the alignment and plenty of life left if they weren't boogered up. If it were done on the install and run that way, they wouldn't have the obvious longitudinal scuffs and scratches. When it comes to caam R&R, an extra pair of hands is always a good idea unless the engine is out of the car and you can stand the block on-end. I 've always done them by myself but run a long bolt in the nose of the cam to pull the cam and then get my finger tip on the back of the cam to align it to pass through the bearings. The key is to go slow and never force it.

I don't think your bearings are salvageable. Ask around and find someone who will replace the cam bearings in the car. It can and has been done. A tow to and from and install by an experienced mechanic is worth the price.
The engine is out of the car but both machine shops say they have to take short block apart to check for any shavings.

Thanks

Greg

Old 02-18-2020, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I were in the machine shop's shoes, I wouldn't want to be bothered with the liability either.

Assuming that's a pile of bearing babbitt laying there along the bottom of the bearing shell in Pic#1, you're stuck like Chuck. There are ways to clean out the bearing material without complete disassembly but you're still at the mercy of a machine shop for cam bearing R&R unless you know someone who can do it for you. The machine shop is not going to touch anything less than basic short-block machining (degrease, bore, hone to standard oversize, machine deck to flatness and finish spec and new cam bearings installed. If you want them to reassemble it, then you have a full blown rebuild on your hands and out of pocket.

In your shoes (desiring just a cam swap), I would find someone to drop the pan and crankshaft (rods remain in block), do the best cleanup you can do, install new cam bearings and put it back together.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 02-18-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I only had one bad and we pulled it down and started over.It was the shops decision.Tom

Old 02-18-2020, 10:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
If I were in the machine shop's shoes, I wouldn't want to be bothered with the liability either.

Assuming that's a pile of bearing babbitt laying there along the bottom of the bearing shell in Pic#1, you're stuck like Chuck. There are ways to clean out the bearing material without complete disassembly but you're still at the mercy of a machine shop for cam bearing R&R unless you know someone who can do it for you. The machine shop is not going to touch anything less than basic short-block machining (degrease, bore, hone to standard oversize, machine deck to flatness and finish spec and new cam bearings installed. If you want them to reassemble it, then you have a full blown rebuild on your hands and out of pocket.

In your shoes (desiring just a cam swap), I would find someone to drop the pan and crankshaft (rods remain in block), do the best cleanup you can do, install new cam bearings and put it back together.
This engine cant have more than 3000 miles on it. Can they reuse the bearings and rings?

Greg

Old 02-19-2020, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Are you willing to bet on that? I’ve checked cam bore alignment on too many blocks: your assessment could be correct or it could be wrong. It’s always better to check than to ASSUME....With the engine apart it would be a good time to confirm.

Dr. Thomas Sowell