Old 02-11-2020, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had more trouble tightening crank pulley bolt than loosening it using a 6 foot pipe on the end of the wrench. with a screwdriver jammed tight in the pulley between belt and pulley to keep it from turning as easy. Similar to the idea of using locking pliers or vise grips. Keeping plugs in will help. The rope in the cylinder should work too, maybe even easier with a long handle on the end of the wrench. And if it is a fourspeed, leaving it in gear can also help keep motor from turning

Old 02-11-2020, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First thing is get an actual compression gauge on the engine and get some readings. Next; since you seem to have verified everything else, the only thing left is the cam timing. Because you didn’t degree the cam after installing it you can’t say for sure that it’s been installed correctly.

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 02-12-2020, 02:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Clamp a pair of vise grips on the flywheel, works to tighten or loosen the balancer bolt.

An impact wrench will also work if you have one.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-12-2020, 10:17 AM
Senior Chief

I found the problem !!!! FINALLY. Just took off timing cover. I have a Cloyes 3 key timing set and crank gear is on "advance" keyway. Plus i wasn't using correct symbol (timing mark). So it was ALL screwed up ! I don't think i've ever messed with this type ( 3 keyways ) of crank gear before.
I feel pretty dumb, but at least i'm smarter today than i was yesterday !! Thanks a million for all the help. I know it must be frustrating on your end also. I'll get it back together this weekend and add to this post once it starts. Tks again !!!!!

Old 02-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem on our end out here, it's just really good that you had the determination to stick with it, congrats to ya!

Do not put the timing cover back on though until you have good confirmed compression !

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 02-12-2020, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is some degree of relief to finding the problem. Even, and maybe especially when its self inflicted. I've been there myself for sure. Hope it goes easier the rest of the way!

Old 02-12-2020, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead59 View Post
I found the problem !!!! FINALLY. Just took off timing cover. I have a Cloyes 3 key timing set and crank gear is on "advance" keyway. Plus i wasn't using correct symbol (timing mark). So it was ALL screwed up ! I don't think i've ever messed with this type ( 3 keyways ) of crank gear before.
I feel pretty dumb, but at least i'm smarter today than i was yesterday !! Thanks a million for all the help. I know it must be frustrating on your end also. I'll get it back together this weekend and add to this post once it starts. Tks again !!!!!
You are not the first to have this happen, that's for sure. You stayed with it until you figured it out. Smooth sailing the rest of the way. The 9 keyway gears are three times more complicated, I always use a sharpie marker for that reason. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good you stayed with it as others have said. We live and learn. Problem as I age I forget. Except whole week years ago trying to start engine on no. 1 exhaust!! Now I concentrate when doing certain things.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If possible take a pic of the newly installed gear and chain and let the "smart minds" take a look.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 02-12-2020, 02:49 PM

Location: Currently living in Portland, Oregon. Lived in Ireland 3 months Israel 4+yrs, loved it

In my job we do “buddy checks” or sanity checks to make sure we did the last correct.
As a 45 years long mechanic started in the old heavies, I NEVER take ppl’s words as final assessment on anything, never!
Dig & dig then Verify it myself.
It’s the Only way to know for certain.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Father/Son " checks. JR. and I have been doing that for years.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 02-12-2020, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now is also a good time to confirm that your balancer and timing tab reads 0 at TDC..I've seen a few off especially with used balancers.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 02-12-2020, 05:31 PM

Location: Currently living in Portland, Oregon. Lived in Ireland 3 months Israel 4+yrs, loved it

Adding to this point, it’s a good time to consider verifying this balancer rubber insert is in good shape. If its a 50 yr old piece might want to consider having the rubberized insert redone!
NOTHING on my 1969 made of rubber on the entire car has survived , nothing!!!
And pick up a $6 balancer tape and put on it when the final piece is put on it.!!

Old 02-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Senior Chief

Talking

Tks. Guys. Its got a new balancer. I will readjust valves for sure and check comp. I'll post pic if i can figure that out. Won't be till sat. Next project is a gear vendors OD unit install. Received it today. I'll drive goat a couple weeks before install just to enjoy this effort. Tks
Again.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:01 PM

Default Pertronix "No-Start" is no surprise to me!

I have had issues more than just a few times in the past with Pertronix and "no-start". When I first call the Pertronix Customer Service line a few years ago, I was told that the Pertronix unit was only generating a dwell angle ON CRANKING as low as 7 degrees, which is usually not enough dwell to start a Pontiac with a standard distributor baseplate upgraded to a new breakerless setup.

I removed the Pertronix equipped distributor and set up a standard point distributor at a near 30 degree angle as needed.

Varoom! I've never looked back despite several of my fellow Ponti-Yackers successfully running Pertronix. I believe the point is to eliminate the points, but I'd rather be on the side of the road with my long screw driver and screw setter replacing 20 dollar points (Advance Autozone, O'Reilly's etc) than a faulty electronic, and in my opinion, overpriced unit from a non-mainstream autoparts vendor !

Try it, I might just be right!!

Old 02-12-2020, 06:14 PM

Default Keyway Chaos!

Sorry, I see now the problem was remedied "under-cover" so to speak...good catch!

I have had issues with those 9-keyway jobbies myself as well as remembering my first 3-keyway days, and hence I strongly agree with the "Sharpie Marker Tool"!

It (Sharpie Juice) might also make a good oil additive! Haha. VERY GLAD YOU'RE UP AND RUNNING!

Old 02-12-2020, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead59 View Post
So how many degrees do you think it was off?

You get a pic of the orientation when you pulled the timing cover?

Unless it was dramatically off I would think the engine would start and run albeit like crap?

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 02-12-2020, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchell View Post
So how many degrees do you think it was off?

You get a pic of the orientation when you pulled the timing cover?

Unless it was dramatically off I would think the engine would start and run albeit like crap?
Remember, he also found a wiring issue along the way. I believe that the popping and backfiring started right after he repaired that? IIRC

Old 02-12-2020, 07:44 PM
Senior Chief

No telling how far it was off. Keyway was 4 degrees advanced but i didn't even have the corresponding timing mark lined up. So it was WAY off which of course affected everything. Don't know what i was thinking !!! Obviously i wasn't !!!!

Old 02-12-2020, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't remember if the wet plugs were addressed, but if you intend to use the same plugs, take a propane torch, or hold the plugs over a flame on a gas stove and dry them out until the gas quits burning off of the plugs.

If you do this just before you attempt to start the engine, use gloves and install the plugs warm, I'm going to bet it will fire right off and run well, unless you have other problems. Years ago I found out if you have a flooded engine ( Being my trade was a mechanic, I always had to get engines started that someone else flooded, and didn't know what to do next) you dry the plugs with fire, then install them warm, the car fires right up. Old timer told me that when I was about 16 YO. I tried it, and especially in a cold environment it really is a lot more efficient than just cleaning the plugs, the warm plugs definitely make them fire right off.

So now I'm the old timer, and passing the trick along to someone younger ( I assume). Try it, it flat out works.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated