THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In WI, we would need an extra lane to not use the left...It does throw the out-of-staters a bit..
That said, what ever happened to flash to pass?
I have not seen it once in 5+ years, covering maybe 10 states & maybe 200K miles.
Wouldn't that solve the prob?

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 02-10-2020, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm thankful that I can go to work and leave early. I seem to find that the people I'm on the road with before 6am drive sharper and without that left lane chip on their shoulder.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My criteria for a good drive is me and my rig make it home in one piece. That cr@p in the middle on the way is just the chess match.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Left Lane

I live in California and I was working in Missouri driving down a split state highway, two lanes on each side. There were no other cars on the road at the time until I saw a police car coming so I moved to the right lane and so did he and pulled me over. He said I can't drive in the left lane even it is is empty , it is only used for passing. He really got Pi$$ed off when I showed him my Iowa drivers license and my truck had California plates. I had to explain that I had a Iowa License because I spent more than one month there but was living in Missouri on and off part time. Finally he asked me where I paid state taxes and I told him California, what a mess.!! I did not get a ticket

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .
8.2 Eaton Posi/3:55

Old 02-10-2020, 09:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The freeways here in CA used to have "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" signs, but they took them all down! Worst thing ever!

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I was in western New York a few months ago looking at a '71 Trans Am, more people collectively followed the left is for passing only than anywhere else I've been in the last 10 years. It may have helped that the roads weren't super full.

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue
Old 02-10-2020, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Blum View Post
The freeways here in CA used to have "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" signs, but they took them all down! Worst thing ever!
You need to get out of SoCal and take a trip on I-5 up the Central Valley or the 101 up the coast north of Santa Barbara. You'll see the SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT signs on the two lane (each way) up there.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 02-10-2020, 11:15 PM

I travel all over the mid west (30-40 K a year) 10 MPH over the limit. I run the left lane all the time. However I was taught to look in my side mirrors, windshield and rearview and NEVER stop doing that.
So if some 1 is on my bumper in the left lane I get over and let them have it.
However if there are cars in front of me I stay in the left.
I am also the guy that will run a car in the ditch for passing sings that say move over because of construction or whatever. OH is the worst!

Old 02-10-2020, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very difficult to drive in the slow lane on a two lane each direction in California. Even in the middle of the night when no one is around the slow lane itself is the problem. The trucks destroy the pavement so if you drive in the slow lane your suspension takes a pounding along with your chattering teeth and kidneys. The state is so broke they just patch.

The Following User Says Thank You to U47 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 12:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
That said, what ever happened to flash to pass?
My dad taught me that. I stopped using it when it started getting me 'brake checks'.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 02-11-2020, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
I live just North of LA and drive the 5, 210, 57, and 10 multiple times a week. In general, I find traffic to be just fine. Sure there are idiots, but they are the minority nowadays. 25+ years ago the idiots were the majority though.
I’ve never heard anyone from around here describe the traffic as “just fine.”

Old 02-11-2020, 02:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
I’ve never heard anyone from around here describe the traffic as “just fine.”

Haha, I bet. I entered into the acceptance phase so long ago I don't even let it bother me anymore. I always leave so early that I'm never late unless it's the absolute worst traffic. It just is what it is.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've driven quite a bit in the UK, amazing the amount of traffic flow they get on a 3 lane motorway. If you hang out in the left lane they will almost touch your bumper coming up behind you. Look down from the crest of a hill and you can see the traffic flow, slow, fast, faster as it goes from right lane to left.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the UK since they drive on opposite side of road, is the 'Right' lane the fast lane?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-11-2020, 11:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill H View Post
I live in California and I was working in Missouri driving down a split state highway, two lanes on each side. There were no other cars on the road at the time until I saw a police car coming so I moved to the right lane and so did he and pulled me over. He said I can't drive in the left lane even it is is empty , it is only used for passing. He really got Pi$$ed off when I showed him my Iowa drivers license and my truck had California plates. I had to explain that I had a Iowa License because I spent more than one month there but was living in Missouri on and off part time. Finally he asked me where I paid state taxes and I told him California, what a mess.!! I did not get a ticket
LOL...reminds me of when I moved to SC. Had a SC license, but had another address scotch taped to the back of it, then moved again to a rental house in a different area. Driving home one Friday afternoon, was going to be first day off in 2 months, and had a 6 pack of beer on the front seat, and got pulled over by State Police doing 50 in a 40! He questioned me on the funky license stuff (all legal at the time), and then looked at my plate, which was Pennsylvania tag! Back down the rabbit hole for a while more, but I think I wore him out, as he cut me loose with a "have a nice weekend" and no citations or tickets!

68 GTO
Old 02-11-2020, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
Very difficult to drive in the slow lane on a two lane each direction in California. Even in the middle of the night when no one is around the slow lane itself is the problem. The trucks destroy the pavement so if you drive in the slow lane your suspension takes a pounding along with your chattering teeth and kidneys. The state is so broke they just patch.
Pretty much what I've found. Usually if the right lane is so torn up and rough, I just don't use it. Not only hard on the car but some of that stuff tosses the car around at those higher speeds and becomes dangerous, for everyone. If someone comes up behind me in the left lane, I'll gladly move over for them but I won't stay in the right if it's rough, I'm back over in the left lane.
If I get a ticket for that I'm fine with it. That's cheaper than suspension and tires. They want me to follow a law like that they need to provide a better surface to ride on.

Quite a few areas like that where the state could stand to spend some money on road repairs. That's what we pay all these daggum road taxes for.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
In the UK since they drive on opposite side of road, is the 'Right' lane the fast lane?

Yes actually.

Old 02-11-2020, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post

Yes you are correct.

Old 02-12-2020, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Quite a few areas like that where the state could stand to spend some money on road repairs. That's what we pay all these daggum road taxes for.
There's just too many people and too many heavy trucks using the roads. The taxes are high but not even close to what's needed (especially considering how many times the state raided the fund to pay for "other" things) to keep the roads in good shape compared to the traffic. I-5 in the valley was awful even 6 months after they re-did it completely, hundreds of loaded semis day and night using it.

I've actually talked to a few police officers and most seem to be fine with the left lane driving on poor roads understanding that as long as you move over for faster traffic and explain to them that road hazards are the reason why, they'll let it slide. Doesn't stop the one or two cops having a bad day that feel like ticketing against logic, but that's life for you.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
There's just too many people and too many heavy trucks using the roads. The taxes are high but not even close to what's needed (especially considering how many times the state raided the fund to pay for "other" things) to keep the roads in good shape compared to the traffic. I-5 in the valley was awful even 6 months after they re-did it completely, hundreds of loaded semis day and night using it.

I've actually talked to a few police officers and most seem to be fine with the left lane driving on poor roads understanding that as long as you move over for faster traffic and explain to them that road hazards are the reason why, they'll let it slide. Doesn't stop the one or two cops having a bad day that feel like ticketing against logic, but that's life for you.
Yeah I hear ya. I've never been ticketed, or even pulled over for a left lane offense before. Matter of fact I've never heard of anything even remotely resembling a law like that here in Arizona. I've just always accepted it as common courtesy as we were taught in drivers ed, and I'll gladly move over as long as the guy isn't impatient and riding my a$$, then I don't extend the courtesy. Kind of goes both ways as far as I'm concerned. Now we do have a law for semis that are supposed to stay in the right lane only when climbing the mountains around here for obvious reasons, but they don't always do that either. Never heard of one pulled over for it.

I also find myself in the left lane, or what ever other lane available, when I have someone in front of me that can't keep their car in the groove. Ever have one of those? Here in Arizona the terrain is so sandy and rocky that it's pretty much a daily occurrence to get pelted with rocks and debri from the roadways, especially if someone in front of you tends to be a curb rider where most of that stuff collects. I've replaced 3 windshields in the last 4-5 years and frankly a little tired of doing that, lol. So I tend to move to another lane to avoid those people, and if that means the left lane, then the left lane it is. Not to mention that a couple of our rural highways have left lane turns and exits, so there are a lot of logical reasons why someone might be in the left lane, it's not always someone having a "chip" on their shoulders as some would suggest. And as long as they're doing the speed limit in the left lane, I have no issue with it.