Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-15-2020, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default TV cable brackets for factory Carter AFB - 200 4r

Anybody know of a good TV cable bracket kit for a factory Carter AFB? Needing to start getting that done, and i haven't seen any bracket kits for the factory carb. I see several kits for the Edelbrock, but i've been told those won't work. I know someone has used a factory Carter with a 200 4r..... I've already talked to Bowler. They have nothing.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have you tried Bowtie Overdrives?

Old 02-15-2020, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
Have you tried Bowtie Overdrives?
X2. I used one on a 64 Grand Prix I put a 200R4 in. It had the original intake and AFB carb and Bowties cable and bracket setup worked perfect. It takes all the guesswork out of how to adjust the cable. Very well made too.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 02-15-2020, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies. I had looked at Bowtie, but their website does not mention that their kit will work on a factory AFB, so i figured it would not.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've made several brackets for both Quadrajet and AFB's. Took a few tries but the little amount of material used is cheap. I just set the raw plate up to the throttle bracket and outlined the throttle bracket on the plate including any existing holes in the carb bracket and started removing excess material allowing for the extra needed for the new cable attachment point. The three important measurements is the start at about 4:30 with throttle closed and ending at 8:00 with throttle fully opened if you look at the swing as a clock face. The third is the distance from centerline which is right about 1-1/8". The additional line in the drawing from 6:00 to 12:00 is just reminding you to keep at right angles to the cable bracket. Basically the cable needs to go from no slack but no pull at 4:30 and full open at 8:00. If the radius is too long the cable will stop before 8:00 and if too short it won't be tight at 8:00 and the cable will have slack. In both 200-4R and 700R4 the important thing is to have the cable fully tight at full throttle since on these transmissions the cable controls valve pressure and you can smoke the trans if not enough pressure.

They mention a measurement in step 1 but since the cable is adjustable the first stab at full throttle should set the cable. If you are not using a GM type cable with the automatic adjustment, then you would set cable length at fully tight at full throttle.

The attached drawing was borrowed from the B&M TH700R4 instruction sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kickdown specs.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	532091