Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 05-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i got a 86 chevy 1/2 ton with a 305. i think it ate a cam lobe or a lifter if not both. i would just do a cam swap but i live in an apartment so i dont think theyd like seeing me throwing parts all over to swap a cam. i have this truck sitting at a shop for a while and i need to get somethign done. id like to find a 350 for it. im not sure what tranny came in the truck but its a automatic. 700r4? or was that later? id look at the numbers but like i said its in the shop. what would i have to do to swap a pontiac into it? and woudl it bolt on to that tranny? if i have to do a tranny swap as well ill just get a 350. does anyone have any suggestions for me or any complete motor laying around that theyd be willing to sell/ship to me ?

Old 05-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i got a 86 chevy 1/2 ton with a 305. i think it ate a cam lobe or a lifter if not both. i would just do a cam swap but i live in an apartment so i dont think theyd like seeing me throwing parts all over to swap a cam. i have this truck sitting at a shop for a while and i need to get somethign done. id like to find a 350 for it. im not sure what tranny came in the truck but its a automatic. 700r4? or was that later? id look at the numbers but like i said its in the shop. what would i have to do to swap a pontiac into it? and woudl it bolt on to that tranny? if i have to do a tranny swap as well ill just get a 350. does anyone have any suggestions for me or any complete motor laying around that theyd be willing to sell/ship to me ?

Old 05-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know there is an Adapter Plate made to bolt a chevy tranny up to Pontiac block. IS the Truck 4wd? Do you have and AUTO {Th 350/th400 700r4 Th 200?} That will make a big difference in ease of Instalation{im no expert}. If you do End up Going with a CHevy engine Get an 88 or newer Block Since those cam with Roller Cams. I would swap in a 455 if your gonna go to the trouble.
350 pontiac and 455 are the same Block size Unlike Chevy Blocks There is No Small or Big block engines. Pontiac Blocks Are all the Same Size Up until they Started Using Chebby engines
in pontiacs I think in early 80's. Hope this helps. I wish i knew more Answers Take awhile in this Area of the forums so Sit tight someone in here has done this and Can help Ya. Good luck God bless

Old 05-10-2005, 01:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thanks. the truck is 2wd. it is auto tranny and if i was betting id say either a 700r4 or a t350 but id lean twards the r4. this truck will be my daily driver so i can actually get decent gas mileage. i just want a complete stock motor. nothing fancy at all. im looking locally and saw an add for a 400 chevy ( didnt say if it was a big block or small block) and ive been checking on ebay but i cant justify spending $2,000+ on a 325hp 350ci chevy motor.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would stay away from the 400 Chevy Engines. They Are Supposed to have ALOT of Head gasket problems because of the SIamesed Cylinders. They are the Biggest Small Black chebby offers.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Save a lot of headaches. It would be neat having the Pontiac in the Chevy, but, will be some work. Just go to Chevy, buy a new engine. One for an 1986 should be about $1,200 with a warranty.

2005 Norwalk Sat Top ET Winner!
Old 05-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i finally found a 350 for it. i never thought id hear myself say "im looking to buy a sbc". felt really wierd.