THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1966goat Send a message via Skype™ to 1966goat
Thumbs down My TA was stolen (and recovered) this weekend

Saturday morning I got up to walk my dog and my car was missing from its spot (I live in a gated apartment complex). It was SURREAL. Called the cops, got a report. An hour later we left to run errands, and I happened to look to the right and I see my car. We called the cops and wait an hour for them to show up again.

Looks like whoever stole it either couldn't drive stick or the security shut the car down. They moved it a total of 15 feet before they parked it next to a hydrant. Steering column is torn up, ignition is broken, they ripped off the plastic piece that goes around the gauge cluster. Stole my intercepter gauge, ipod, sunglasses, and Hurst T handle shift knob(?).

Here's the bad part... I popped the hood and saw the oil cap was off the engine and sitting on the battery. I have a GIANT fear they poured something into the engine.

I'm waiting for insurance adjuster to call me back.

461ci, Edelbrock 72cc heads, KB 15cc dished pistons, comp xe274, PRW 1.5 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 80508 750cfm, RARE oversized manifolds, Pypes X-pipe Exhaust
Old 10-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

drain the oil and pull the valve cover. That will at least tell you the obvious before you do any damage..

Glad to hear you got it back.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My worst nightmare would be to have a car stolen. It would suck even more to find it and have to take it back. The fear of the unknown is the worst. Hopefully they'll go thru it and find nothing wrong.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 10-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Senior Chief

1966GOAT: Sorry to hear your TA got jacked. Had that happen to another car I owned 29 years ago. It is surreal...especially looking at the empty spot you parked it in the night before.

Mine was found by the police three days, five 7-11 robberies, smashed steering column, burned headliner from their crack pipe, and the crack pipe in the trunk later.

It just leaves you with that "You sick bastids!" thought and look on your face. Hope your TA isn't filled with molasses, sugar or whatever else would ruin the motor.

Good luck!

Jim
ScumOne

Old 10-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you don't have security cameras, check with the neighbors, they may have one that may give clues/ pictures of the perps. Good luck with the insurance company!!

POCI.org
Old 10-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thats sucks
sorry to hear
not sure what is worse, having it stolen, or getting it back all damaged up with unknowns

i remember what the insurance companies had us to do cars at the shop,
basically butcher them back together
sucked when you knew they smoked bad stuff inside the car, usually you will never get it out without a total strip down and replacement

i've said if my stuff gets stolen, i don't want it back... who knows what was done
seems like anything with an LS motor is a hot vehicle to steal now-a-days too
and usually stick shifts are less desirable to thieves because most don't know how to drive them, meaning the junkie/druggie type

bring back hardcore punishment, like the old Yuma prison... people will stop...
especially when you chop their hands off... but most people say that is to hardcore..

Old 10-13-2015, 09:35 AM

I've been in some discussions about theft lately on other forums. I'd personally be glad to have a couple grand worth of damage rather than lose the whole car.

I keep a lot of cars and don't care about most of them being gone if I got a pay out from my insurance company. My 67 Firebird on the other hand is my baby and I don't know what I'd do if it was ever gone completely.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear about this but glad you got it back (even considering the "unknowns").

Not my story, but Bill Nawrot (YNOBIL on this site) got his GTO stolen - and recovered - back in the day. Witnesses claimed you could hear the gears grinding as the thieves drove away, presumably because they couldn't drive Bill's transmission of choice: a floor shifted three speed manual.

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill Old car weekly.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	410233  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 10-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 87 IROC was stolen from my apartment building parking lot 11 days after I picked it up new at the dealership. Police found it the next morning and two weeks & over $4k later it was back in my hands.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear about your car being stolen, but glad you got it back.

20 years ago I had a similar experience with my 67 Sprint lemans, I was working 3rd shift and when I cam home my garage door was open and the lemans was gone! The thieves had got around my Starter cut off switch, but had not found my electric fuel pump switch, so they only got about a block away when the Q-jet ran out of gas.
Then then got so mad they could not steal my car they keyed the paint, busted out the head lights and all the side glass before one of my neighbors (also a car guy) herd the noise saw my car in the street yelled out his door and called the cops. The cops insisted on towing the car when they could not get ahold of me at 3:00am, and the wrecker damaged the rear bumper dropping it off at the impound lot. At least they admitted that much.
The thieves did over $5000 of damage to the car besides messing up the dash wiring harness. I did not have classic car insurance at the time. And almost had to sue AAA to get them to actually honor the stated value policy I had. It was insured for $8000 at the time, and the repair bill came to over $5000. But they did eventually pay up.

I hope your claim goes much smoother.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 10-13-2015, 04:08 PM

Check out this thread on Team Chevelle. Theives were caught on a security camera trying to steal a Chevelle.
James

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813689

Old 10-13-2015, 04:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Angry Car theives = SCUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumOne View Post
It is surreal...especially looking at the empty spot you parked it in the night before.
I had the misfortune of experiencing this six years ago, and then again in May 2011.
The second time was not quite so terrible as it was my daily driver/winter car, but it still left me with no transportation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeraven;
I'd personally be glad to have a couple grand worth of damage rather than lose the whole car.

.........My 67 Firebird on the other hand is my baby and I don't know what I'd do if it was ever gone completely.
This is how I felt and still feel about my '88 LeSabre T-type.
It sucks to think about it being trashed, but it was irreplaceble (for all intent purposes).
I still would be elated to have it discovered in someone's garage with only the damage it suffered that fateful night, because the sad reality is that it was probably crushed in some unscrupulous scrap yard within weeks.

Showing my signature which I have preserved for brevety:

Seeking recovery of my stolen 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type. Primary summer driver & Road Trip car.
Garnet Red with 2007 PENDOT inspection stickers on windshield. Had minor damage to left rear quarter & bumper. Last three of VIN: 301
Could be being driven with altered VIN.
Bodywork on left rear quarter (near the tail light) would be a tip-off.
Last seen by a patrol officer doing a routine plate check in Gary, Indiana, August 31, 2009
(The thieves were driving, but my plate was clean.)

Last edited by Lightfoot; 10-13-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerjeff;
Then then got so mad they could not steal my car they keyed the paint, busted out the head lights and all the side glass...
Individuals who do this would NOT want me to know who they are....

Old 10-13-2015, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 79 TA View Post
i remember what the insurance companies had us to do cars at the shop,
basically butcher them back together
sucked when you knew they smoked bad stuff inside the car, usually you will never get it out without a total strip down and replacement.
AAA insurance was great, except for one thing. The car was an 82 Buick Regal, all the options, power everything, yada yada. It was stolen in 86, a four year old car at the time.

When the car got back to the body shop/upholstery shop, etc they got a listing of the damaged parts.

So the AAA rep calls me and says the windshield wiper motor is bad, and they want me to pay for 90% of it. I asked the rep "I have full coverage, you're paying for the body work, paint, upholstery, etc...why are you trying to negotiate the wiper motor?"

"Because our depreciation chart shows that a wiper motor is a consumable like a brake pad, and we've determined it was only worth 1/10th of what it was when it was new."

"Uh...ok, Mister AAA. The wiper motor is used so rarely here in So Cal I doubt it was worn out. But tell you what, why don't you go to a junkyard, find an 82 Buick Regal, and get the wiper motor out of that and put it in my car so you incur the least possible cost to repair the vehicle I pay you good money to insure. And after you've done that, I'll start shopping for a new insurance company."

And then I hung up.

So yeah...be advised, AAA thinks wiper motors are consumables like brake pads and tires.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

66g, you are lucky damage was minimal and you got the car back.

In 1992 someone (I know who but couldn't prove it) completely gutted my 1979 WS6 Formula Firebird. All that was left of the interior was the steering column and wheel, and the shifter stick sticking up thru the floor. Everything else was gone. Walk up to a car you own and see that. And then have no one do a thing about it so you can recover your loss. Local and State cops, plus the insurance company, did nothing.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:41 PM

OMG that's horrible!! I'd be devastated!! but as was said, at least you got it back. So sorry to hear this happened to you.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl