THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very common back in the 70's to see "novelty" coke bottles stretched into all kind of weird shapes. I've seen them two feet tall with liquid and capped. Was a "thing" back when such things were groovy. We'd fill them with colored water and place them in our groovy rooms.

It can be done with a propane torch, the glass was very soft and annealed in such a way that it would handle a lot of shock.

Common gas station/break room game back then was to "Pull Cokes" ... before you bought your coke for lunch a group would put money in a pot and bet on who could pull the bottle from farthest away. In the gas station you'd just look up on the trusty Esso US map (or whatever brand) cause they had travel distances from city to city.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile CARNIVAL BOTTLES

Similar, but the games of chance bottles always seemed to be stretched longer.
As mentioned before these were popular in the 70's.
Looks more like someone just had some fun with heat.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 10-20-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
It will be interesting to see if we ever get back to these. I was in a hotel two weeks ago and they had water in a box- like milk.

Not far fetched to think we could get back to recycling brand specific bottles
You can still get Coke in glass bottles, mostly the 7 ounce size. My local grocery store has them, along with other brands in glass - Orange Crush, Dad's Root Beer, and a number of small independent brands.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 47 year old Pepsi?

I found this 1972 Pepsi bottle submerged in the gravel burm next to a back road last week. Only about 5% of the glass was visible before I excavated it. I had a hunch it was going to be this style of Pepsi bottle, based on the features I could barely make out. My grampa used to always have these in his fridge back in the day.

This non-returnable design first came out in 1970, with pry off caps. Changed to screw caps in mid 1971 or 1972. The screw caps were white until about 1974, then changed to silver. The bottle design lasted through 1977.

This last spring, I found a local brand soda bottle (Mount Zircon) from the 1950s in the same area of road. It was up near the edge of the tree line and had been partially exposed by a ditch grader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1215 (576x1024).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	521324   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1214 (576x1024).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	521325   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1221 (1024x576).jpg
Views:	25