THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Car Covers

Until I get my garage sorted out, I will need to continue to store my car outside, probably through the winter again. I've gone through a few car covers, but invariably they all seem to break down and let water through. I found that there are covers that go up to about 100.00, then from there they are 400-500.00. Nothing in between. I guess if worse comes to worse I'll bite the bullet and spring for the expensive one, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with a reasonably priced one that can withstand the elements in a similar climate as mine, which of course can be brutal at times.

Thanks,

Old 10-04-2019, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd go without a cover...it will get covered with snow, but that really doesn't hurt anything (as long as you don't have leaky windows). It's frozen so it won't cause corrosion. A cover can whip around in the wind and rub against the paint.

Road salt and slush are what cause problems in the winter, but since your car will be off the road it should be fine. I've stored cars outside in the winter in the past and saw no ill effects, and if anything our winters are harsher than yours.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart is correct. I've used a quality cover outside in the past and over time it rubbed the paint thin/off on several high spots and fender ends. Once it gets below freezing the snow will protect the paint as long as you are not in an area that gets "acid rain" in the warm weather.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a friend that had his '66 Chevelle SS rubbed down to bare steal in several places over the course of the Summer with the wind and dust that got underneath it. Had another friend that ended up with the weirdest fogging of his clearcoat while the car was stored outside with a layer of snow on it most of the winter.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Senior Chief

I can see now after buying the most expensive cover from California Car Covers, why the paint can be worn off. The material of their best cover was very coarse & having a black car, there was not way! I call them back & complained. I did not need an outside cover, but mistakenly thought the most expensive one would be best.

To their credit they steered me to their inside cover which has a soft flannel lining that contacts the paint...It was also $200.00 cheaper,but cannot be used outside

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 10-06-2019, 10:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I noticed the same thing on my dark green 97 Formula. Had to spend hours buffing it after taking the outdoor cover off.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Senior Chief

I have found out that car covers being used outside only work if there is no wind or weather. My car sat outside for a few years with a cover and was rubbed down through the paint, primer and down to the fiberglass nose piece. I think the portable carports would work better IMHO.

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 10-06-2019, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moshier View Post
I think the portable carports would work better IMHO.
Until they collapse on to the car they are supposedly protecting.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed, the portables are only good for UV and tree sap.
They can't support a snow load at all.

Look into the Metal car ports. These can be had 12X20 for under $1000.00
Best thing is they are not considered permanent structures and therefore can be put on the driveway in almost all municipalities.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:33 PM

I second the metal car port1
No taxes because it is a temp structure,
it can be closed in real easy and makes storage for the future.
I have seen them around here were you can make monthly payments.