Old 10-03-2019, 09:57 PM

Default coil over shocks

Hello everyone. Just wanted to ask who out there has experience with coil over shocks for front and rear. I am putting together show type car. 69 Firebird. I have speed tech tubular a-arms. Leaning towards Viking brand sold by Speedtech, ( Hybrid) it is direct fit and application as stock ones with these speedtech a-arms. Want to know stuff like , are coil over as comfortable as regular shocks and so on. I will be driving this car also. Not just trailer car. Please let me know what you think if you have experience with coil overs, any brand. I have a 408 stroker motor, aluminum heads. (small block). Everything is show type in engine compartment. This is a complete frame off restoration/show type car. Bottom line is are coilovers as comfortable as stock type shocks and springs. And why I am thinking of doing it now is the fact that now is easier. And if they are just as comfortable than why not now , that way if I ever want to lower or raise I can. I have converted to disc up front but still drum in back. I actually have a top of the line AGR steering box. EVERYTHING new. Polyurethane. Powder coated original subframe. Any body out there have stock subframe with tubular a-arms and coil over shocks, also front ones I will be getting are double adjustable. Thank you.

wagemann824 is online now Report Post

Old 10-03-2019, 11:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have QA1 coil overs and tubular control arms and adjustable shocks on the rear of my 67 Firebird and love it. Mine are single adjustable but seem to work very well. My ride is a little stiff but that's the way I built it and I can dial it back if needed.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have Koni coilovers up front and Koni adjustable in the rear.

I drive my car and would take them off if they had destroyed the ride. They have been on my car for 9 years and probably 20,000 miles.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have Koni coilovers up front and Koni adjustable in the rear.

I drive my car and would take them off if they had destroyed the ride. They have been on my car for 9 years and probably 20,000 miles.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Stock subframe on the car?

I'm kinda odd man out here, but I don't really think that coil-overs on a stock subframe car make a whole lot of sense. Because they are hybrid units and not true coil-overs, the only real advantage to them is the ability to adjust ride height with a wrench instead of shims.

If you're using stock derived control arms, factory mounting points etc. then the coil-over is just an expensive spring/shock package. It's not doing anything inherently different than the traditional coil spring and shock combination.

If you're talking about modified bracket mounts on the stock sub-frame or aftermarket sub-frames that are designed around true coil-over use, there are benefits in both handling and ride quality that can be seen.

They hybrid deals just don't really stand up to scrutiny. It's large body shock with a threaded body that holds a conical spring and mounts in the factory perch. A true coil-over will allow the shock body through the upper mount which allows you to correct the motion ratio issues that come along with doing the hybrid deal. That allows you to have better wheel rate, while keeping the spring rate down, which allows you to run softer valving. Same performance, with a better ride.

With the rear, you can't just put a hybrid coil-over in there, as there's no upper spring perch in these cars. So that means going to an aftermarket system like the DSE or Ridetech 4 link. The Ridetech is nice that it's just a bolt-in deal with a little bit of welding on the axle, but it's motion ratio is crappy because it's using the stock lower shock mount. The DSE system's geometry is much better, but it's a highly involved install that requires a lot of cutting in the back of the car. It's also over double the cost of the Ridetech system.

If you just want the look of a coil-over and the bragging rights, for shows, go for it. If you're talking about actual real world driving and performance, it's my opinion that with the stock sub-frame, you're better off spending the money on a quality coil spring and shock. It will ride and handle the same and you aren't asking a shock body designed only for damping loads to carry the entire weight of the car.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:47 PM

Default A-arms

Thanks for the replies. I will be using stock subframe. But do have Speed Tech Tubular upper and lower a-arms. I will be using the Viking double adjustable Hybrid coilovers up front ( 450 lb) I have a small block 408 Stroker with Aluminum Heads, and double adjustable in rear.