73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 12-24-1999, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How many of these cars were built? As I recently purchaced this car, but it is a complete rust bucket. I don't want to strip or junk it. How many left, maybe? I tried the Grand Am site & the dude that runs it couldn't give me an answer, go figure. Later

Old 12-24-1999, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How many of these cars were built? As I recently purchaced this car, but it is a complete rust bucket. I don't want to strip or junk it. How many left, maybe? I tried the Grand Am site & the dude that runs it couldn't give me an answer, go figure. Later

Old 11-13-2002, 10:11 PM

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I have a 73 455 in good shape, going to restore it soon. I was wondering how many of these cars were as well opted as mine. I have every option, power everything, sunroof, leather seats, lumbar, ac, posi rear, dual exhuast. it only has 68k miles, and the engine is really strong. I was wondering if anyone knows the size of the carb? Its a quadrajet 4 barrel, but i want to know the cfm that came stock. And also what the power ratings are on this engine. its a YC. with 4x heads.

Old 11-14-2002, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say around 25-35% of Grand Ams had the 455 in 73. This is an unscientific guess. No production breakdown has ever been done on these cars. The 187 4-speed 400 number is probably bogus too, probably over 500+. Not much demand for these cars unless they are in excellent condition and nicely optioned.

Parts are pretty easy to find except things get pricey when looking for a new nose, nose emblem, steering wheels, wheel opening trim, bumper rub strips, and quarter panels.

1st generation Grand Am production
. . . . . 1973 . . . 1974 . . . 1975
2dr . . . 34,445 . . 13,961 . . 8,786
4dr . . . .8,691 . . .3,122 . . 1,893
Total . . 43,136 . . 17,083 . .10,679
Guesses
455 . . . .25-35% . . 20-25% . . 10%
400-4spd . 10-15% . . 10-15% . not avail

sunroof: rare option (avail. on 2dr only) manual or electric?
leather seats: not available
lumbar: standard
ac: very common
posi rear: optional, not too common
dual exhuast: required with 4bbl engine

quadrajet 4 barrel: 750 cfm
power rating: 250 hp SAE net

http://fiedlerh.home.att.net/

Old 11-14-2002, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

Dude, your gonna need Nitro to get that sled in the 9's. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

My Rig's a little old, but that don't mean she's slow.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 11-14-2002, 03:39 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PONTIAC DUDE:
How many of these cars were built? As I recently purchaced this car, but it is a complete rust bucket. I don't want to strip or junk it. How many left, maybe? I tried the Grand Am site & the dude that runs it couldn't give me an answer, go figure. Later<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Were you talking to Tim Claremont?

Old 11-15-2002, 12:57 AM

The seats are a leather like material, they seem leather. THe sunroof is electric, and the car is fully opted. Power seats, locks, windows etc... What other options make this car more rare?

Old 11-15-2002, 12:57 AM

The seats are a leather like material, they seem leather. THe sunroof is electric, and the car is fully opted. Power seats, locks, windows etc... What other options make this car more rare?

Old 11-16-2002, 01:54 AM

What is the bolt settings for the wheels on the 73 grand am. I'm looking for wheels and need to know the info. Thanks

Old 11-16-2002, 09:31 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pestilence68:
What is the bolt settings for the wheels on the 73 grand am. I'm looking for wheels and need to know the info. Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bolt pattern is 5 on 4-3/4". That is a 5 bolt pattern with the bolts on a 4-3/4" circle. The metric equivilant is 5 on 120.65mm (some wheels have metric pattern). There are quite a few different kinds of wheels available for these cars. You will have lots of choices!

It's not NASA you dolt! It's NACA!

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com/
Old 11-19-2002, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The sunroof is one of the rarest and most desireable options, if it is in good shape. They tend to rust away and I hear the weatherstipping is impossible to find.

Morrokide looks like leather, but it isn't. Look under the seat and look at the backside of the material.

Old 11-19-2002, 09:43 AM
Senior Chief

Its only desirable if you live in a dry climate. Even when new, they were leakers, and due to the drainage system, made the cars rust even worse than normal.

Old 11-19-2002, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the info, my sunroof does not leak and the weather stripping is in great shape. Also the mechanism for the power sunroof works amazing and motor is still really strong. I found clips that work for the interior piece but now i need to find the quarter panels and fenders. I hope i can find full fenders and full quarters. Any ideas on where to find them?

Old 11-19-2002, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The water was drained through two small hoses in the front that ran down the A-pillars. I think there were two more in the back that drained into the rocker area, behind and below where the door latch striker bolt is. A rust haven waiting to happen should the hoses leak (not to mention potentially causing a mess of your interior).

Old 11-20-2002, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think it's too hard to find good used fenders. Quarter panels are harder to find because '73 is unique. NOS ones come up once or twice a year on ebay. Maybe ask Tim Claremont if he knows of any for sale.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:32 AM
Senior Chief

I have seen '73 quarters at Carlisle the past two years, and both times the prices have been so high, they stay there....

Old 11-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Last quarter panel I saw the asking price was $600.

Found fenders on the A-body board:
"Hi I have a pair of NOS fenders forsale I want 500.00 ea. call 440 417 0225 Mike"

[This message was edited by fiedlerh on November 20, 2002 at 02:32 PM.]

Old 11-20-2002, 05:06 PM
Senior Chief

This gentleman was asking $1000 EACH! No thanks for a non-popular bodystyle.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2002, 01:38 PM

I was looking for wheels for my car, is a 73 grand am 455. I was wondering on tire and wheel sizes that are suggested. I like the American racing Torque D wheels, and i was wondering if 15x8.5 would be too big for the car. I just want regular profile and really wide tires all around. I dont want bigger tires on the back, bc i dont like that look, i want standard tire height just as wide as i can get them. Thanks

Old 11-23-2002, 03:38 PM
Senior Chief

I run P255-60/R15 tires all around on both my A-bodies, and no rubbing.