73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 03-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

does anybody know how they paint the repop emblems? most of the time good used ones all they need is a repainting..if someone knew how to paint that intricately they would be very busy. by they way, how do you post a pic here??

Old 04-05-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker
After all the questions, and enthusiasm, you say you're not an enthusiast after all? You belong in a Honda.
Nah.....a Kia.....

Old 04-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to Tone

I wouldn't be caught dead in a Kia. Yuck.

73 Lux Lemans.
350 2brl. Single exhaust. TH350 automatic.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegstek
...I tried to help. You didn't respond to my question about how I treated you initially. Did I dis-respect you or cut you short! Did I slam your car or just state the facts? I spent @ 30 minutes trying to explain what you could expect from your investment.How did you respond? By coming here and calling me an idiot for not selling you a bunch of parts and giving you false hopes. My "Can't Am" remark only came after his "Jug's" remark...so who's the instigator? Anyway...good luck to all with your "classics" and please don't ask my advise if all you want is a sugar coated version of reality. That's not me. As for wiping my ass with my literature...I believe I'll donate it to someone more appreciative as I've already wasted too much in dealing with you clowns. Have a nice life.
Why the derision with the "classics" insult?

Sometimes.....the stuffed-shirt attitude from the pre-73 types REALLY gets old.You make yourselves look cheap and petty.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Senior Chief

Yeah well...what can ya do? After all that BS, I still have my LeMans anyway, lol.

Still watchin it rain or snow outside, waiting for the nice weather when I can go hang out underneath it with some tools for a couple hours. I don't expect to get anything done, but I can say I was working on it at least.

I can't break the bolts loose that connect the Y-pipe to the manifolds. 4 lousy bolts...

73 Lux Lemans.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone
I can't break the bolts loose that connect the Y-pipe to the manifolds. 4 lousy bolts...
Go to the auto parts store and buy a can or two of PB Blaster. Liberally douche the bolts/nuts with it, and resoak them periodically for a day or two and then hit them again...they'll come loose.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:45 AM
Senior Chief

I'm planning on having the manifold lit up with a torch after the douche-fest this weekend. I gotta get that exhaust together soon, or I'm going to ruin the valves...so I'm told. I have no idea if it hurts the car or not....to drive without a muffler that is. So what's the story there? Am I ruining the motor by driving the car with just manifolds and Y-pipe??

The LeMans has been sitting for a couple weeks because I don't know the answer to that question, and I didn't want to risk anything. BUT, my MR2 is history, and the LeMans has stepped up to bat as my heavy hitting DD.

Thanks for keeping up with this thread guys. I definately appreciate the help.

Tone.

73 Lux Lemans.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone
I'm planning on having the manifold lit up with a torch after the douche-fest this weekend. I gotta get that exhaust together soon, or I'm going to ruin the valves...so I'm told. I have no idea if it hurts the car or not....to drive without a muffler that is. So what's the story there? Am I ruining the motor by driving the car with just manifolds and Y-pipe??

The LeMans has been sitting for a couple weeks because I don't know the answer to that question, and I didn't want to risk anything. BUT, my MR2 is history, and the LeMans has stepped up to bat as my heavy hitting DD.

Thanks for keeping up with this thread guys. I definately appreciate the help.

Tone.
Old wives tale. Plenty of race cars out there with no mufflers that have no problems with the valves. Mufflers are there to quiet the car, not keep the exhaust valves healthy.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

However...

If there are leaks at the manifold to head, that will heat the valves up to the point of damage.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-18-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker
Go to the auto parts store and buy a can or two of PB Blaster. Liberally douche the bolts/nuts with it, and resoak them periodically for a day or two and then hit them again...they'll come loose.
What he said....that **** works great....

Old 04-19-2007, 12:48 AM
Senior Chief

Sweet! I can finally drive the car again...lol. I didn't know who to believe around here. One guy says it will destroy the exhaust valves, and the rest of them chime in, "Yeah! Valves...right, bad for car...yeah!" And I have heard of running right off the headers before so wtf, lol. And before it broke, it sounded really smooth, so I don't think there is a problem at the manifolds. Just all the pipe needs to be replaced. Thanks guys. I'm gonna get a couple cans of PB tomorrow before work. Tone.

73 Lux Lemans.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tone - you have to understand with a board this big, you're going to get people on both sides of every question - some it worked well for, others it didn't. No one is lying to you, they are just expressing what they believe to be correct. All I can say is know your source the best you can, (read their other posts, and/or see how others feel about them) and take everyones opinion in for consideration. Then YOU make the decision on whats right for you.

You'll find the same thing in any of the books you read too.... Depending on when they were published, and who wrote them you'll find the same question answered two different ways. On this board, you just get that information faster.

~Mark

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 04-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73LeMans
Tone - you have to understand with a board this big, you're going to get people on both sides of every question - some it worked well for, others it didn't. No one is lying to you, they are just expressing what they believe to be correct. All I can say is know your source the best you can, (read their other posts, and/or see how others feel about them) and take everyones opinion in for consideration. Then YOU make the decision on whats right for you.

You'll find the same thing in any of the books you read too.... Depending on when they were published, and who wrote them you'll find the same question answered two different ways. On this board, you just get that information faster.

~Mark

I totally understand what you are saying.

So if I burn up the exhaust valves this week driving it to work, then I'll have my answer, lol.

73 Lux Lemans.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sigh...you're not going to burn up the exhaust valves with a leaky exhaust, unless the leak is where the manifold meets the cylinder head, and even then it's a longshot.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Senior Chief

I agree, you will not burn the valves if the leak is at or after the manifold outlet. Otherwise, there would be a lot of drag race cars with burnt valves!

My Dad's 59. The start of my love for Pontiacs!
Old 04-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Chief

Well I'd still like to get my NOS exhaust system on it. Hey, do you guys know what other makes/models of cars I can take seats from to put in my car? I am looking for bucket seats. My vinyl is old and falling apart.

Thanks, Tone.

73 Lux Lemans.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:32 AM
Senior Chief

Default UPDATE

Since it was so nice out I thought I'd take the time to work on my exhaust. After only 8 hours of dirt and grease in my eyes, I managed to break only 2 studs in the exhaust manifold. No problem though, I had a rethreading kit....so I grabbed some drill bits to bore a hole where I could make some new threads. And I couldn't get a perfect enough hole for the 3/8 tap n die to grab on to. I might as well have used all the bits in the toolbox and the tap would just not grab. I even broke three taps(or dies?) from a Craftsman set.

Well, I got backed into a corner, and was in a spot I didn't want to be, so I had to use the paperclip/bubblegum method to slap together the new Y-pipe.

I got the new pipe on(minus one bolt), just as the sun vanished behind the mountain and I could no longer see the end of the socket. I fired it up, and it sounded just like it did before I took the old Y-pipe off.

The rest of the pipe and muffler should be on by tomorrow....I sure hope those 3 bolts hold it together.

Tone

73 Lux Lemans.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:36 AM
Senior Chief

Got my exhaust together today....couple coat hangers holding it up. All the clamps are cranked down pretty tight, and it sounds really nice. Single exhaust, NOS pipe from way back in the day, with a new OEM muffler from NAPA. It's like being in stealth mode compared to how it sounded yesterday, lol.....jesus.... Now about the whole rust issue...where to start. Hmm...

73 Lux Lemans.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jesus Christ...don't you have anyone to help you? That exhaust will not last long at all before it's leaking again.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebo
does anybody know how they paint the repop emblems? most of the time good used ones all they need is a repainting..if someone knew how to paint that intricately they would be very busy. by they way, how do you post a pic here??
It's helps to be accurate with your painting, but you don't have to be exact. You can use a model paint brush and model paint from a craft store and paint inside the lines as best you can. The painted areas are normally surrounded by raised chrome barriers to separate the colors. Any paint that strays onto the raised edges, you can wipe off with a q-tip or piece of cloth wrapped around a small piece of paint stick, dampened with lacquer thinner. When the paint is dry, polish up the exposed chrome surfaces with some chrome polish.