73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
Now that these cars are slowly gaining popularity, we need to get the word out, and drum up some interest in reproducing the Ram Air system. Even though I don't have a '73 yet, I am actively looking, and would purchase a $500 system. I know interest on this board has historically been lame, but there are other sites out there that members here can "spread the word".

I tried. Twice. First time I got 4 responses. Second time I got 2. I spread the word all over the 'net, even on Pete's 73-77 site and that post 73 Chevelle site.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR57 View Post
In my case I run my car without the backing plates on the scoop inserts and I have a GM Performance parts open element air cleaner. When I drop the hammer it sounds as if the hood is going to be sucked in. I have experimented with dual snorkle OEM air cleaners as well and the response is much better with the open element and open scoops.

Would there be any benefit in performance by using the closed air cleaner OEM Ram air system?
Absolutely, as you would be sealing off hot underhood air like you have now with the open element air filter.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
Absolutely, as you would be sealing off hot underhood air like you have now with the open element air filter.
Ok, that makes sense, but wouldn't open scoops allow for outside cold air circulation all the time ?

I have a problem in using the OEM style Ram Air because it probably wouldn't work on my engine anyway since my Oshawa built Canadian model does not use a Pontiac drivetrain, it has a Canadian Pontiac drivetrain.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I have a problem in using the OEM style Ram Air because it probably wouldn't work on my engine anyway since my Oshawa built Canadian model does not use a Pontiac drivetrain, it has a Canadian Pontiac drivetrain.

Canadian Pontiac drivetrain? Aw, c'mon, we won't blast you for calling the engine a Chevy.. It's orange, right?

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
Canadian Pontiac drivetrain? Aw, c'mon, we won't blast you for calling the engine a Chevy.. It's orange, right?

You know it !

Here are a few you won't find in a Pontiac state side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73LeMansAstroFlash.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	164089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Laurentian454.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	164090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beaumont396.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	164092   Click image for larger version

Name:	427Pontiac.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	164094  

Old 04-03-2009, 12:17 PM

Regarding the Ram Air subject, I had a discussion with John Sawruk (RIP) on this subject a few years back and he brought up the fact that the air intake under the battery tray in the front grille area was the best spot for Ram Air. At speed, the grille is a high pressure area that actually forced fresh air up into the air cleaner. If you have a stock air cleaner setup, you have Ram Air.

The problem with the '73 Ram Air system on the hood is that the scoops are recessed and aerodynamically this is a dead zone where the air pressure could actually be negative. The best scoops are the ones that stick up over the hood like the '71 GTO or the early '70s Formula Firebirds.

Outside of the "COOL" factor, we all have real Ram Air on our A Bodies.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoat73 View Post
All bets are off on Canadian models with Canadian Pontiac engines however. Battery tray is on opposite side and no OEM ducting to grille from snorkle.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ok, that makes sense, but wouldn't open scoops allow for outside cold air circulation all the time ?

The original factory system utilizes an electric operated solenoid attached to the throttle, which is not unlike the ram-air actuation used on the 72-73 shaker assembly from the Firebird. The reproduction would be sans this equipment and as such open to outside air all the time, and it would be designed to work with a Pontiac drivetrain.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Regarding the Ram Air subject, I had a discussion with John Sawruk (RIP) on this subject a few years back and he brought up the fact that the air intake under the battery tray in the front grille area was the best spot for Ram Air. At speed, the grille is a high pressure area that actually forced fresh air up into the air cleaner. If you have a stock air cleaner setup, you have Ram Air.

The problem with the '73 Ram Air system on the hood is that the scoops are recessed and aerodynamically this is a dead zone where the air pressure could actually be negative. The best scoops are the ones that stick up over the hood like the '71 GTO or the early '70s Formula Firebirds.

What John said was true in a sense, but it was not as efficient as you were led to believe. The scoop stops right under the battery tray and the area where it is open to the front end is obscured by the core support and 5-MPH bumper "mess". Now if the scoop were ducted lower to about where the chin spoiler was mounted on the bottom of the core support (to duct air up into the radiator) it would be better, and if it were ducted into the bumper where the turn signals are it would be better yet.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A small block Chevy in a '73 LeMans...I'm sorry, I know it was Canadian built, but that's just not right.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While I do not consider it a true "Ram Air" system, at least the engine could breathe much cooler than the hot underhood air..well as cool as the Thermac system will allow.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
A small block Chevy in a '73 LeMans...I'm sorry, I know it was Canadian built, but that's just not right.
I knew it was bothering you

Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 AM

My brother-in-law used to have a '73 Laguna and if I remember correctly his battery was on the passenger side and it only had a snorkel type air cleaner that drew air out of the engine compartment.

From what I read, the Ram Air system inlet damper on the air cleaner cover opened with an electric solenoid that was activated by a switch on the gas pedal at wide open throttle, otherwise the damper was normally closed. I think this was how all the Ram Air systems from that era worked.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I knew it was bothering you
It's like putting a skirt on John Wayne...it might fit but it just don't look right.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
From what I read, the Ram Air system inlet damper on the air cleaner cover opened with an electric solenoid that was activated by a switch on the gas pedal at wide open throttle, otherwise the damper was normally closed. I think this was how all the Ram Air systems from that era worked.
That's precisely how the 73 A-body system worked.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
It's like putting a skirt on John Wayne...it might fit but it just don't look right.
LOL !