73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 12-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Suspended

Arrow NASA vs NACA

The 1973 NASA Ram Air System - Always an interesting subject. Here is some more gasoline added to the fire.

Personally I would NEVER purchase a system that incorporated a PLASTIC piece such as the original 1973 design. An injected molded or fiberglass unit similar to a Shaker Hood Scoop & Motor Realm replacement nose construction, or a stamped steel unit for the cover, would be the most durable and the way to go. No matter what, the Chinese can make it the cheapest just like they make Rousch wheels, YR1 Snowflakes etc.

As to the NACA vs. NASA description I referred to the official 1973 Lemans, Grand Am, & GTO Assembly Manual; the ’73 GM Pontiac Service Manual, and the 1973 Fisher Body Manual for what General Motors called this Ram Air system in 1973. Note: No information pertaining to the Ram Air system was found in the 1973 Fisher Body Manual.

1973 Grand Am & GTO Assembly Manual information:
• Section/UPC 0 Sheet 20 Page 113 ‘ ”NASA SCOOPS” RPO WU3’
• Section/UPC 6M3 Sheet 4 ”Air Cleaner ASM & Scoop ASM (W/WU3)”
• Section/UPC 6M3 Sheet 5 ”Scoop ASM Internal Parts (W/WU3)” “Issued 4-14-72, Sheet Cancelled 11-9-72”
• Section/UPC 11 Sheet 1 ”Contents” “O Sheet No. 11G-6 Sheet Title Ornamentation”
• Section/UPC 11G Sheet 6 ”Hood & Hood Ornamentation (AAOO with LS2 / W62)”

’73 GM Pontiac Service Manual information:
• Page 6B-3 Fig. 6B-1; Air Cleaner Installation “NASA
• Page 6B-4 Fig. 6B-2; Cold Air Inlet System – ALL “NASA

Call it what you want, I don’t care. But all of the GM information I have shows this listed as the “NASA
Ram Air intake system. Naturally - All NACA experts are invited too!
It would be positively cool for anyone to share any advertisements and/or official GM references to the 1973 Ram Air system as NACA where it could be officially documented and shared here for all to enjoy.

Last edited by Alvin; 12-30-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Suspended

Question Druids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
The 1973 NASA Ram Air System - Always an interesting subject. Here is some more gasoline added to the fire.

As to the NACA vs. NASA description I referred to the official 1973 Lemans, Grand Am, & GTO Assembly Manual; the ’73 GM Pontiac Service Manual, and the 1973 Fisher Body Manual for what General Motors called this Ram Air system in 1973. Note: No information pertaining to the Ram Air system was found in the 1973 Fisher Body Manual.

1973 Grand Am & GTO Assembly Manual information:
• Section/UPC 0 Sheet 20 Page 113 ‘ ”NASA SCOOPS” RPO WU3’
• Section/UPC 6M3 Sheet 5 ”Scoop ASM Internal Parts (W/WU3)” “Issued 4-14-72, Sheet Cancelled 11-9-72”
• Section/UPC 6M3 Sheet 6 ”Hood Plenum and Gasket (W/WU3 EXC. GK00)”
• Section/UPC 11 Sheet 1 ”Contents” “O Sheet No. 11G-6 Sheet Title Ornamentation”
• Section/UPC 11G Sheet 6 ”Hood & Hood Ornamentation (AAOO with LS2 / W62)”

’73 GM Pontiac Service Manual information:
• Page 6B-3 Fig. 6B-1; Air Cleaner Installation “NASA
• Page 6B-4 Fig. 6B-2; Cold Air Inlet System – ALL “NASA

Call it what you want, I don’t care. But all of the GM information I have shows this listed as the “NASA
Ram Air intake system. Naturally - All NACA experts are invited too!
It would be positively cool for anyone to share any advertisements and/or official GM references to the 1973 Ram Air system as NACA where it could be officially documented and shared here for all to enjoy.
73 GTO Buyers Guide Feb 2011 HMM

“1973 GTO Buyers Guide Feb 2011 Hemmings Muscle Machines by Mike Bumbeck review of William and Jamie Bells’ 1973 GTO.

While the 455 H.O. engine disappeared from the GTO availability with 1973, the Pontiac engineering department came up with an induction solution borrowed, in part, from early American aeronautics. NACA ducts were originally designed to draw in air to a jet engine without creating resistance or turbulence. What worked for planes might just work for cars, so Pontiac built two NACA ducts into the 1973 GTO hood. Air was supposed to through the NACA ducts and get into the carburetor via ductwork. The induction system worked, but made too much V-8 music to sneak under the federal decibel limit set forth by the no-fun department. Pontiac left the NACA ports to draw air into the engine compartment, and allegedly offered the rest of the system as a dealer part. Legend passed down from the Colonnade Druids claims that only 10 fully functional systems were built, and only one is known to exist today.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1973 Pontiac Accessories under GTO option: Dual Air Hood Scoops (N.A.S.A. type)
1973 Grand Am brochure (early one with SD-455) - hood scoops

1974 Pontiac Accessories - not mentioned
1974 Grand Am brochure - NASA hood

1975 Pontiac Accessories - Hood Scoops
1974 Grand Am brochure - not mentioned

Old 01-05-2011, 04:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to gtopaul13
Default r/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
Well, since it has been kinda slow here, and it hasn't been discussed in this forum in over a year and a half, who is truly interested in purchasing the air cleaner lid, and the sheetmetal pan/seals for the hood for your 1973-75 NACA hooded A body? The reason this topic has surfaced yet again is that one of the underhood sheetmetal pans was up for bid last week on E-Bay, and it sparked a discussion over on the A Body Site forum. I am commiting to one setup if the cost is kept under $700 for the four parts (the plastic lid, the two seals, and the pan). The remainder of the parts are available either used or new reproduction.

would be interested in ram air at $750 is it going to happen?

Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 AM
Suspended

Question NACA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
1973 Pontiac Accessories under GTO option: Dual Air Hood Scoops (N.A.S.A. type)
1973 Grand Am brochure (early one with SD-455) - hood scoops

1974 Pontiac Accessories - not mentioned
1974 Grand Am brochure - NASA hood

1975 Pontiac Accessories - Hood Scoops
1974 Grand Am brochure - not mentioned

Thank you (and all) for your input and official documentation question replies.

So far; there has not been one Pontiac documented “NACA” reference.

So…Just like the GTO aka: Goat; NASA is aka: “NACA”?

Thanks again for your input.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The NACA duct was designed by the NACA agency.
It then became the NASA agency, so technically it can be called both?
(but should be called NACA ducts in my eyes)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
The NACA duct was designed by the NACA agency.
It then became the NASA agency, so technically it can be called both?
(but should be called NACA ducts in my eyes)

besides, NASA sounds really cool, rolls off the toungue real nice... NACA just sounds kind of garrish They'll always be NASA to me!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Senior Chief

I grafted the center of a (rusty) NASA hood into the hood of my 77 GP. I have been watching this since 1984 or 85 when the original "repro" deaal was being offered for $700 (or thereabouts). What is $700 these days? I remember I would have had to work for like 6 months to save that kind of spare change.

I still have the 77 GP with the NASA scooped hood. And I STILL want a reproduction Ram Air system for it. (Or someone sell their original setup.)

Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacjeff View Post
I grafted the center of a (rusty) NASA hood into the hood of my 77 GP. I have been watching this since 1984 or 85 when the original "repro" deaal was being offered for $700 (or thereabouts). What is $700 these days? I remember I would have had to work for like 6 months to save that kind of spare change.

I still have the 77 GP with the NASA scooped hood. And I STILL want a reproduction Ram Air system for it. (Or someone sell their original setup.)
The guys name was Mark Nouhan and the timeframe was around 1989-1990. I ordered two sets from him for a total investment of just under $1100. He never got enough orders and had to drop the project.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Senior Chief

I remember now! I bought my 73 GA 4-speed car in '89, that's probably when I saw his ad in HPP. That car was so rusty and trashed, I parted it out and all the 4-speed stuff is now in my 77 Grand Prix, the scoops in the hood, the transmission in my 66 Catalina wagon, and the engine block is about to be in my 81 Suburban! (It grew 1/2" of stroke, tho!)

I made my own "junkyard" induction system , never put it into use. Each scopp had it's own flapper/solenoid (2nd gen Fbody air blend doors) and a big triangular steel pan with two holes in it sealed the hood. The flappers were going to be mounted on a custom a/c base that extended all the way back to the cowl, then sealed with foam. It's all in my head, and will be made some day. I took all kinds of measurements so the scoops were in the exact same place as the A-body, so if I ever did get the factory parts, they would work on the GP.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was in contact with Mark Nouhan a couple of years ago. He was going to borrow a system to copy, I forgot whose, Griffith's or Goad's, but never got enough orders. He has a set of the original foam seals, but didn't want to part with them at the time. As we have discussed, the chances of getting the system reproduced are almost zero due to complexity, high tooling costs, and low demand.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Senior Chief

certainly, betweem here and the GA registry and the abody forums, etc, we can find 100 people with a NACA/NASA hood. I think we really need to put pressure on these guys. Seriously, we are talking about this now for over 20 years!!!!!! I don't have access to any of the necessary parts, or I would have done it by now for myself. C'mon, we can buy a forged steel stroker crank for a Pontica V-8 for less than $500... in 1989, that woud have cost about $2500!!!!! Demand or not, China can build thousands of these parts if we want. Cheap, too. This is very frustrating!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
I was in contact with Mark Nouhan a couple of years ago. He was going to borrow a system to copy, I forgot whose, Griffith's or Goad's, but never got enough orders. He has a set of the original foam seals, but didn't want to part with them at the time. As we have discussed, the chances of getting the system reproduced are almost zero due to complexity, high tooling costs, and low demand.
Tom Goad had actually sent his system to Mark back then to duplicate. Mark was trying to get 50 orders to make it economically feasible. I placed 2 orders, along with extra foams for safekeeping. Sent my money to Mark, which he sat on for a year before sending it back. He never got anywhere near 50 orders after advertising in HPP and Smoke Signals. Mark was a straight shooter and really first r tried, there just wasn't enough interest.

I myself tried twice within the last 10 years and was going to use Phill Griffith's system. My first try I got 4 responses, and the second try I got 2. Nobody that owns these cars was apparently interested in getting off of about $500-$600 for a factory appearnce correct duplicate of this system. OK, getting off my soapbox now (LOL).

Old 01-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacjeff View Post
certainly, betweem here and the GA registry and the abody forums, etc, we can find 100 people with a NACA/NASA hood. I think we really need to put pressure on these guys. Seriously, we are talking about this now for over 20 years!!!!!! I don't have access to any of the necessary parts, or I would have done it by now for myself. C'mon, we can buy a forged steel stroker crank for a Pontica V-8 for less than $500... in 1989, that woud have cost about $2500!!!!! Demand or not, China can build thousands of these parts if we want. Cheap, too. This is very frustrating!
I still have access to Phil's system. You get at least 40 orders confirmed and I'll send you a "finders fee" for each order once the project is complete.

As for sending such a part to China to duplicate? That's not gonna' happen (LOL). It's got to be done locally with someone I trust.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the projected cost for a complete system is less than a grand I'd be in for one.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would join the list , it looks like my air filter base housing is the same . part # 1 in the diagram?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Senior Chief

I'm in. That's 3... or 4. HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! (DOH!)

So where do we go, Ebay? I am not on the other forums, you guys might be. Let's get the word out. 40 sets at $500, that's $20G, surely someone would do it for that! JEEEZ in this economy, machine shops are sitting idle. I'll download some of those pictures and start shopping here in Atlanta. Are we set on fiberglass for the lid? Plastic? Steel? (should be steel IMHO). I will talk to my machinist, he makes the preload plates and bronze clutches in addition to machining the gears for my FWD GM limited slip differentials that I designed. We have a great working relationship. If he can't do it, he will know who can.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How about the guy that made the aluminum front end ,for the ebay SD car.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Senior Chief

now there's a thought. were those fenders stamped? or more likely hand-formed?

Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I'm in for a setup..

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4