73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 12-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Senior Chief

Original window sticker and phs says honeycomb wheels, $123.00.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Senior Chief

Pic of both phs and window sticker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1214140843.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	384421  

Old 12-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Senior Chief

Sorry it's upside down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1214140839.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	384422  

Old 12-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Note your build sheet screen grab below.

On topic, of interest (to me) are the designations as written there:
  • FJ4 Tire G60x15 L

• FQ5 (or FO5?) Chrome Wheels

My copy - and supplemental page - of the GTOAA's Pontiac GTO/GT-37 Illustrate ID Guide does not include the desgination(s)
  • FJ4 as Tire description.
  • FQ5 (or FO5?) Chrome Wheels

Instead for 1973 GTO it includes
Standard Tire:
  • G60 x 15" black wall
2 polyester body plys
2 fiberglass tread belts
Load range B
Optional Tire:
  • G60 x 15" raised white letter
2 polyester body plys
2 fiberglass tread belts
Load range B
––-------------------------------------------------
Standard Wheel: Stamped steel
Size - 15" x 7" (AE)
Wheel color -
  • Starlight black
Standard hub cap: (illustration of chrome moon poverty cap w Pontiac arrow)
Optional Wheel: Rally II; styled steel
Size - 15" x 7" (KR, HM)
Wheel color -
  • Argent Silver/Medium Charcoal
Mandatory accessories -
  • Trim ring
  • Center cap
Optional Wheel: Honeycomb; molded Neothane/stamped steel
Size - 15" x 7" (KP)
Wheel color -
  • Argent Silver
Mandatory accessories -
  • Center cap
Optional trim ring:
(n.a. w/Honeycomb)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacs4ever1971 View Post
Original window sticker and phs says honeycomb wheels, $123.00.
Yeah, I though so...was why I mentioned it. Interesting. Wonder if your build sheet shows the Honeycombs and Trim Rings (which were Optional) too?

Old 12-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Senior Chief

No it's P05 not F

Old 12-28-2014, 09:30 PM

This is one of the sweetest looking 73 GTO I have seen. Does anyone know who is reproducing the body side molding on this car? It is made up of an aluminum channel with bullet ends and a rubber center.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a thread about body side moldings at Transamcountry.com . http://transamcountry.com/community/...?topic=37626.0

You can get stick-on molding at the "store" at www.78ta.com . Here's a link to it:
http://www.78ta.com/store/product.ph...&cat=28&page=1
It's for Trans Ams, but comes in lengths so it can be cut to suit your needs, and is the same as the A-body stuff. That is the type that was factory installed.

From what I've read, the type of molding with the metal channel was a dealer installed item.
Here's some that looks like it: http://www.customautotrim.com/produc...ings/rivet.htm

There's another maker of the metal channel type molding, but it's made for a 70's Trans Am. I don't know it they could supply custom lengths to fit the A-body. Here's the link to the metal side moldings: https://pontiworld.com.au/usgmsp/pro...e4f7c614bcea4a

Old 12-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
Here's a thread about body side moldings at Transamcountry.com . http://transamcountry.com/community/...?topic=37626.0

You can get stick-on molding at the "store" at www.78ta.com . Here's a link to it:
http://www.78ta.com/store/product.ph...&cat=28&page=1
It's for Trans Ams, but comes in lengths so it can be cut to suit your needs, and is the same as the A-body stuff. That is the type that was factory installed.

From what I've read, the type of molding with the metal channel was a dealer installed item.
Here's some that looks like it: http://www.customautotrim.com/produc...ings/rivet.htm

There's another maker of the metal channel type molding, but it's made for a 70's Trans Am. I don't know it they could supply custom lengths to fit the A-body. Here's the link to the metal side moldings: https://pontiworld.com.au/usgmsp/pro...e4f7c614bcea4a
Thanks for the great links! Although the center metal channel colors now offered are limited to black/white/silver my 1st '78 Martinique Blue TA came w light blue & current one came with a flat ribbed rubberized wood grain inserts.

Most jobber trim shop suppliers used to carry assorted colors by the roll, and channel lengths for use on all vehicles - cut to fit. Local place here used to be called Trim-Tex.

FWIW: Both of my '78 Martini Blue TA's metal channel was installed with pop-rivets.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the links, the automega and pontiworld are the correct body molding that I am looking for.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Rich View Post
This is one of the sweetest looking 73 GTO I have seen. Does anyone know who is reproducing the body side molding on this car? It is made up of an aluminum channel with bullet ends and a rubber center.
My original paint '73 has original bodyside trim. It is the vinyl adhesive variety.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-30-2014, 03:36 AM
Suspended

The originals on my 73 GTO were also a stick on type, the ones your wanting came from a local company that we use to use for all our after market stuff like the side moldings & tape stripes. Our local company was called the trim shop & they did all that kind of stuff for us & later even got into the paintless dent removal. All those moldings were a cut to fit & they had to drill holes in the doors to install them which I hated from the start as I knew that in a year they would be rusted through. Which they did.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
The originals on my 73 GTO were also a stick on type, the ones your wanting came from a local company that we use to use for all our after market stuff like the side moldings & tape stripes. Our local company was called the trim shop & they did all that kind of stuff for us & later even got into the paintless dent removal. All those moldings were a cut to fit & they had to drill holes in the doors to install them which I hated from the start as I knew that in a year they would be rusted through. Which they did.
Only in the "Rust Belt" with vehicles used on salted winter roads evidently did they rust through, as our '78 TA has zero (0) rust @ the mounting holes.

We reinstalled HD black stick reinforced w internal metal strip on the '79 Y-84 and it's proven it's value more than one occasion...saw a literal fat lady exit a 2-door Cadillac and force her door edge into the side molding as she squeezed out between the cars were she parked too close, we're talking a 350 pounder lady or more...

Our '73 GA had the stickon moldings that were removed @ time of Motorealm replacement nose install prior to our purchase. even after detailing, wax, buff, etc. couple of places former location can faintly be detected from stickon when new in '73.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:51 PM

I think the stick on molding looks cheap. My car currently has the applied molding and looks more period correct to me ,it just needs to be updated. No issues with rust at the mounting holes.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:55 AM
Suspended

One thing you have to consider when replaceing the moldings . If your trying to do a 100% resto the machinal fastened molding is not correct as the stick on moldings are. If you going for factory correct even if you don't like them you will need to install them because that is what came on the car from the factory.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:52 PM

Rex, I would like to say I really respect the fact that you brought your car new and have held on to it this long.
I'm not going for a 100% correct resto, I am making changes to the car that I like, it is not going to be a number matching car, motor is out of a 68 Firebird (More HP). I am doing some mods that others might not approve of; but that is what is going to make it MY CAR.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:44 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
One thing you have to consider when replaceing the moldings . If your trying to do a 100% resto the machinal fastened molding is not correct as the stick on moldings are. If you going for factory correct even if you don't like them you will need to install them because that is what came on the car from the factory.
Interesting. You've posted that a Dealer Installed option Hood Tach is "correct" but then - here - you post the above: dealer installed "molding" that was placed on millions of AMC, Chrysler, Ford, GM, etc. vehicles "is not correct?" No harm, no foul IMO...but think about it...really?

I'll suggest that we all have our various opinions as to what's correct, matching, et al. Funny that - opinions about the "right stuff" aka: door edge mouldings when any trace of an original Pontiac Powerplant is becoming equivalent to the DoDo Bird - aka: Extinct. So...

Regardless; appreciate the passion and Carpe Diem!

Old 01-01-2015, 03:03 AM
Suspended

karl & Alvin , I wasn't sayiny the moldings were bad other then they were pop rivited on which I didn't like. The moldings could be snapped on it doesn't matter. I was just saying that the correct moldings were the stick on. It dowsn't matter to me what you have on the car , I was just saying what came on from the factory. Yes the metal moldings came on a lot of cars as that was a popular thing to do at the time. From the posts I got the impression that Karl was going back to original. As for me mine isn't & hasn't been priginal since the 2nd day I've had it. It was 2 days old for me & off came the exhaust for headers & an alum. intake. I've had mine in many different styles of trim over the years. You an see I have a rear wing on my acr & it's been there since 1980. There has been at least 5 different engines & 5 rear ends. A lot of guys lik the stock look but I to made mine the way I like my car. A little different then all the rest. I to made mine the way i like it to.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Senior Chief

If you guys need a closer pic of side moldings let me know.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:33 PM

Yes can you please send me one, and also send me the pink slip at the same time LOL. You have a very nice car sir, thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:54 AM
Senior Chief

No you don't want it, it's got the wrong dash bezel in it lol