73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 09-22-2016, 02:55 AM
Suspended

Did you buy a car & if so do you have any pics of it. I know I said I send you some pics of mine if you sent me your email address as trying to put them on here is kinda a pain. Send me your email address & I'll send you some pics of mine. Also on the white GTO that has the video, if you look at the door panels they are not correct fro the car as the upper panels are wrong & are missing the GTO emblem on them to. It may sound nice & it does look nice & of course there were no pics of inside the trunk?? Makes me wonder. Also why would anyone go from the 3 speed trans to an auto. If you found one lets see it. Rex.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
Did you buy a car & if so do you have any pics of it. I know I said I send you some pics of mine if you sent me your email address as trying to put them on here is kinda a pain. Send me your email address & I'll send you some pics of mine. Also on the white GTO that has the video, if you look at the door panels they are not correct fro the car as the upper panels are wrong & are missing the GTO emblem on them to. It may sound nice & it does look nice & of course there were no pics of inside the trunk?? Makes me wonder. Also why would anyone go from the 3 speed trans to an auto. If you found one lets see it. Rex.
Woo Hoo!

I found a very nice 73. Now I can join your ranks and have fun fixing it up.
PM sent
73 for me

Old 09-22-2016, 05:45 PM
Suspended

PM sent to you 73 for me

Old 09-28-2016, 10:02 PM

Default Grand Am on the way here tomorrow!

Well guys,

I finally found a Grand Am Coupe that was a project I could handle. It's pretty clean and in running driving condition. Horst, Rex, and AJ already have pictures. I don't know how to post them here. i'll see if one of the guys can post one for me. I hope to have the car by the weekend. Woo Hoo!

Old 09-29-2016, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To post pictures here, you need to load them to a photo hosting site first. Photobucket.com is a popular one. You can open a free account there. Load your photos to Photobucket. Each photo will have an "IMG" code for use in forums. So, you copy that code and come here to the PY forum and paste the code in the reply box. When you make your post, the photo will show up.

There's a way to post multiple photos all at once too. Photobucket should have some instructions somewhere on the site on how to do it, if you can't figure it out.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:13 AM

Default 73 is on the way

The transport company picked up the 73 yesterday evening. It will start its trip here today. A bit over 2000 miles so I anticipate delivery on Sunday.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:54 PM
Suspended

I bet your getting excited to get it home??

Old 10-05-2016, 09:27 PM

Default 73 for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I bet your getting excited to get it home??
I sure am. I hope it will be here in the soutwest before the hurricane heading for the east coast arrives.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:12 PM

Default Grand Am on the way.

Good news! The transport driver told me he will be in Texas by Monday! Bear in mind I am located at the far west end ot the state..........

Old 10-17-2016, 11:57 PM

Talking It's here!!!!!

My car finally arrived on Saturday. It's even nicer than I expected. 100 percent original paint. No body filler. Minor dings that I will have taken out with a paintless dent service. Minimal rust. Will need one 4x4 metal patch on one front fender. Dash is perfect, everything works except for the bulb for the A/C control
at night. It will need a new nose, and I want to replace the weatherstrip when I paint the car. Also will need the repro fender trim just to be perfect. On the inside the front seats we'll need a repro seat kit. Shoot even the carpets are really nice. I can wait to get started!!!

Old 11-26-2016, 09:47 PM

Just a progress update. With the holiday, granddaughter's visiting, and work, progress has been a bit slow. Just doing general maintenance, fluids, plugs, hoses, belts, etc. The motor runs great but I would rather do all the maintenance before I try to make it pretty. Next i am going to start removing trim to get the car ready to go to the body shop.

I was playing with the dimmer switch and lost the dash lights. The owners manual says it a 4 amp fuse. For awhile I could not find the fuse box, but with help from another member here, I found out it was hidden by the plastic panel below the steering wheel. Tomorrow I am going to check the fuses. Hopefully that is the problem, or else I may have to replace the headlight switch.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:52 PM

Guys,
I found the small 4 amp fuse for the dash lights. It looks ok but I have not replaced it yet.

Here is what is happening. With the door open the courtesy lights come on normally. When I shut the door the courtesy lights come back on but at a much lower intensity. I checked to see if the door switches are sticking, but they work properly. The dash lights are still inop.

As I mentioned before, I just rotated the instrument panel dimmer switch when I lost the dash lights and this problem cropped up. If the fuse is good, is my headlight/dimmer switch fubar?

Old 01-14-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
The turn signal housings are reproduced in fiberglass by a company named Motorealm. They also make a fiberglass front nose (fascia) if it needs it. I bought the fascia and turn signal housings for my 73 GA from them about 10 years ago and they're nice quality. Here's a link to them: http://www.motorealm.com/facias.html

Yes, 73's had real "African Crossfire" mahogany wood on the dash and console lid. Unfortunately it didn't hold up well. As you've noticed, the later artificial woodgrain appliques held up better and look better to me. Don't forget that the Grand Prix dash was used up through 1977, not only in GP's, but also Grand Lemans, so more years are available as dash parts donors beyond just 73-75.

I've heard it said that the cheapest car you buy will be the one that you pay the most money for, because it's in the best condition to begin with, so will need less work. Of course, then if you can buy it cheaply you really have a deal.
Motorealm said they are no longer producing the turn signal housings. Do any of you guys know Eric personally. Perhaps we can talk him into making a few more sets........

Old 01-14-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 for me View Post
Guys,
I found the small 4 amp fuse for the dash lights. It looks ok but I have not replaced it yet.

Here is what is happening. With the door open the courtesy lights come on normally. When I shut the door the courtesy lights come back on but at a much lower intensity. I checked to see if the door switches are sticking, but they work properly. The dash lights are still inop.

As I mentioned before, I just rotated the instrument panel dimmer switch when I lost the dash lights and this problem cropped up. If the fuse is good, is my headlight/dimmer switch fubar?
Thanks Canamman for letting me know to check for a blown 20 Amp fuse. Everything is working great now. I do notice the dimmer switch is a bit flakey
when I rotate it, so I am ordering a new one.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

73 for me, do you get Smoke Signals? There was an article on the SD program and, believe it or not, there was a document that showed how many cars were ordered with the SD before the bigwigs decided to limit it to the Firebird. 95 GPs, 97 GAs, and approx 56 LeMans/GTOs were ordered by individuals before the option was cancelled; dealer stock was another set that, in total, numbered 666 cars.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, I saw that article!

Mike

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The best one yet!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Hey, I saw that article!

Mike
Great article!!!

Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
73 for me, do you get Smoke Signals? There was an article on the SD program and, believe it or not, there was a document that showed how many cars were ordered with the SD before the bigwigs decided to limit it to the Firebird. 95 GPs, 97 GAs, and approx 56 LeMans/GTOs were ordered by individuals before the option was cancelled; dealer stock was another set that, in total, numbered 666 cars.
Hi Diego,
No I don't get Smoke Signals. Guess I'm not as hard core Pontiac as the guys here. But, I really do like Pontiacs. My father always had to have the biggest engine he could get in his cars. Thats why he ordered the SD-455. When the dealer told him he could not get the engine, He almost cancelled his order and went with a Stage I Grand Sport. I convinced him that the standard Pontiac 455 was still stong, and the Grand Am was much better looking. He agreed on that, and ended up keeping his Grand Am 11 years.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:50 PM

Does anyone have any usable 73 Grand Am turn signal housings for sale? PM me with info and price.