Old 09-19-2016, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been there, done that. I think this helped with my setup:

469, M21, 3.42

Old 09-19-2016, 05:30 PM
Suspended

I don't know why I didn't see it sooner. But when I was standing there I could hear it boiling inside the hose which is what I think is the reason it was getting hot & boiling over. It was high enough to make an area that could create a steam pocket in the hose & by relocating it down it took or will take that area away so no more steam area in the hose.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:16 PM
Suspended

That means you have adjusted the postion, correct? If so, take it out, run the dog-crap out of it, and update the results.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:00 AM
Suspended

Running it hard doesn't make it get hot. But I did go through town at about 15 mph in 2nd gear & 3rd gear to get it as hot as I could & guess what. It got up to about 190* & stayed there. I'm still going install the 19" 7 blade fan when it gets here just to make sure it stays down & I'm going to put a new 165* T-stat back in it in the am to see if it will stay at the 165* or 170* on the gauge in the car so i know it's correct for sure. But yes it did make a difference by taking the 360* T-stat housing that was sticking up about 2 1/2 inches & about 1 inch about the valve cover & outlet in the rad. I don't know why it took me so long & why it just hit me today while I was out there trying to figure it out again. But it was like a light going off over my head & it was so obvious whenI saw it, it just made so much sense to me right then. But it did work & now its not boiling over. I'll let you know tomorrow if putting the 165 back in brought it back down to where it was to.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If possible, do the fan and the thermostat separately, fan first. I'm curious to see if the fan makes a difference.

I have a 19" fan in the garage and 18" on the car myself. I'll do the same.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 09-20-2016, 01:35 AM
Suspended

I just ordered the fan & won't get it for about a week so I'll probably put the 165* T-stat in 1st to see if it goes back down & then I can try the fan which I'll put on just because it has to cool a bit more being a 7 blade 19 fan. If I had the fan here I'd put it on 1st just to see, but I'll do with what I have 1st , but i can take it out as it's easy to do after I get the fan & try it both ways to se if it made a difference with the fan & the 180* T-stat thats in it now. The fan I have in it right now is a 17" 5 blade so the 7 blade 19" has to be better. Also the T-stat gaskets are cheap & i have them on the wall always anyway.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, it's ok. You don't have to go back to 180°, I just wanted you to do them separately.

I have a 160° in now with the 18" fan, so I'll do the fan swap also with the same 160°. But the problem is that the weather is already cooling off so I might not see a difference until next summer. My memory won't last that long! LOL

469, M21, 3.42

Old 09-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Suspended

I'm going to do the T-stat swap in about 2 hours from now as i have a few things to do 1st & then I can see if it'll make any difference. It's warm here today & suppose to be in the 80's all week so I'll be able to tell.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Suspended

I have a flex fan that I fished out of the trash-can, back in '85 when I was putting my car together. I held it in the shroud opening, it looked like an excellent fit, so I gave it a shot, and it works great. I don't know the size, but you cannot stick your finger between the blades and shroud. And it sits 50/50 in the shroud on a stock Pontiac spacer. Someone told me it was a 428 (9?) Cobra-Jet flex fan; I couldn't say one way or the other. I have much better pictures of it, but I would have to dig. This one shows enough detail to get a general idea of what it looks like.

I'm a firm beleiver that you need a large volume of air passing through the radiator when idling. My concern with a new fan: it sounds like your current fan will suck the chrome off a doorknob.

You might want to do some road testing before you install the new fan. As you know, long periods of running are best because temperature creep sometimes won't show with short running time. I mention this because you might have solved the problem. And once you install the new fan, you own it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	437086  

Old 09-20-2016, 05:58 PM
Suspended

I going out in the car in about 10 mins to see if it made any difference. I put the 165 stat in it & now have fresh coolant in it & I'm hoping for the best on this part of the fix. I really do think that the repositioned rad. hose now being lower than the rad. outlet it is going to cure the possible steam pocket in the hose I think it was having before. I am hoping for this to be the fix even though it is an easy one I think it is going to work. I'll ket you know sometime later tonight.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck!!! Awaiting the update

469, M21, 3.42

Old 09-20-2016, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad you found it. I heard the correct upper hoses aren't made anymore.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:41 PM
Suspended

Well, I'm back & the car which use to overheat in about 2 miles of city street driving at about 20-25 mph now seems to be able to run down the street at about 15-20 mph at a pretty constant temp. of about 180* When out tonight & I ran up & down the streets at below normal speed, some people following me must have thought I was having some problems because I was going so slow & always looking down at my gauges to see what was going on. The route I took tonight was the same I would use & have the car overheating . I took it even a bit slower just to try to force it to get hot. The engine stayed about the 180 mark the entire time & when I got back to the house & backed in the garage the way I usually do it would normally been percolating into the overflow jug. But this time it's just at the temp. it was when it 1st came up & it stayed there without boiling over. I didn't think it could be so simple but by changing the T-stat housing I had on there which was a chrome 360* one that was pointing up at about a 60-70 * angle & that put it at about 1 1/2 inch to 2 inches above the rad. outlet for the upper hose. I really found this just by listening to the water boil inside the upper hose after I had had it running in the driveway for about 5-7 min's & then just turned it off & stood there listening to it for a bit. It's one of those I just took a step back & stood there wondering what to do next & it just popped into my head. POOF !!! I think I'm going to try a few more little things like take the 1 inch spacer out of the fan & put the clutch fan back to the front of the water pump hub , which will put it back to where the fan was spaced when it ran a constant 165*'s on the highway where as now it's up to about 180*'s. Also I will install the 19" 7 blade fan whenI get it to see if that will bring it down a little bit more. But changing the T-stat housing was the big fix so far. Just a couple more little steps to get it back to where I think it should be. But for now it is good where it is.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Amazing result, I would not have thought of that being an issue, but it makes sense. Glad there are smarter and more experienced people here to help you out!

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 09-21-2016, 03:04 PM
Suspended

I don't know why I didn't figure it out before as it seemed so simple of a fix. But it's like everything else it took me to just step back & let the car tell me what I had wrong. It was the 1st time I actually stood back & got a chance to listen to the engine & cooling system so I could understand what was going on that was WRONG. It was a very simple fix & don't know why I hadn't seen it before . But sometimes it happens that way. The upper hose I have on it looks a lot like the original but I'm sure it's not as I did replace it about 2 years ago from the NAPA parts store. But of course they have to be close to be able to work. The difference has to be minor. Also I have to say I wise someone could have or would have been able to help me out but this was on me alone. I would have loved the help so it wouldn't have taken so long to figure out. But all the suggestions were helpful & I had tried a lot of them before this but none worked until this stupid little fix. I just hope this is something that will help someone else out in the future.

Last edited by rexs73gto; 09-21-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info. Lesson learned is to route the upper hose as low as possible to avoid an airlock.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:32 AM
Suspended

I took it out for a drive tonight & it ran a bit different since the water/coolant is getting into all the proper places ,,NOW. I had to come back I readjust the carb & the choke so it would run the way it has been for the last year. The car never got above 170* even in the traffic I made it go through . I drove it around town going very slow to make it overheat as it use to but it stayed where it should be. But now when I get the 19 1/2 " 7 blade fan I'm going to swap it on there to see if that also makes any difference. As I said in a past post, I had used a 1 inch spacer to move the fan closer to the rad. to see if that would help. But it didn't seem to make any difference, in fact I think it kept it a bit hotter. So I'm going to take the 1" spacer out & put it back in the factory position where the clutch fan bolts right to the hub of the water pump pulley. I think to that will cool it down more as it is the fan is closer to the rad. in the center which is just pulling the air through the center, so by reason by moving it back so the fan is in the spot where the factory put it it will pull ALL the air from not only the center buy the sides of the rad. to as the shroud is completely surrounds the rad. which it will by reasoning pull all the air from the center & the sides of the rad. all at one time cooling the entire rad. at the same time. I was going to do this when I figured out the T-stat was to high causing a steam pocket in the upper hose , but I don't want to have to do this over & over so I'll do this all at 1 time. The fan I'm using now is a 5 blade 17 inch fan, so just because of pure size it should cool better with the 19 1/2 inch fad blade swap.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:23 AM
Suspended

bump

Old 09-22-2016, 05:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So you're running about 180° with a 160° thermostat?

I have a 160° and when cool out, it stays at 165°,'but in summer heat it stays about 182°. Not more.

I'll swap in the 19.5" fan eventually and see if that helps.

I don't run a shroud yet because I have a non OEM radiator and my OEM shroud that I bought will need serious hacking to fit.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 09-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Suspended

I went to O'railly's to get this T-stat & when I had the 180* in it was opening at about 200-210. I took that one back as I know it was wrong or defective or broken & now the 160* stat is opening right at about 170-180*'s. I'm not real happy with that T-stat & will probably get another one that is a good name brand one that will open where it should & close where it should to. These cheap one I don't think they are very well designed & the quality control for them is well lets just say bad at best. They aren't made to work where they should, probably for a reason. But I'll get a name brand one that works the way it should. I will get the 19 1/2 inch 7 blade fan in a few days & will see what happens then.