Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '66 B wagon windlace & headliner ?

Hey all,

'66 Bonneville wagon. Pretty sure I am going to suck it up and put in my own headliner. I went to the local shop recommended by a good friend and major car guy. I got a lot of really negative signs, and did not like the work he showed me on an interior he was doing. Plus, the material was not an excellent match, AND he wanted about a grand to do it including the headliner. I can get the correct one from SMS for $275.

I understand the primary ingredient is patience. I get mine in 12-16oz containers. Aside from the weatherstrip adhesive, what do I need to fasten the windlace and headliner? I have not gotten mine out of the car yet, but the 2 doors I have taken apart have got staples in places for this stuff. I know I don't have any hope of stapling to the metal body the way they did, so do I just glue it in?

I see where binder clips are needed to hold it in place while fitting. Is this done while the glue is setting up and then all held in by the trim? Does windlace go under the headliner or over? Before or after? I think I can see it under, and this is why I have waited to do it until putting headliner in.

Thanks for help with this daunting and tedious project.

I did check my '66 Body manual under headlining - and it is its usual helpful self. It shows gluing but no tacking and no real mention of windlace installation that I could find.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress

Last edited by Deadhead; 05-07-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since nobody else seems to have done this I started a detailed thread on it. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=727374

Currently waiting on my headliner. Windlace installed.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress